So modding a Slimline PSTwo is a bad idea?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nei First

So modding a Slimline PSTwo is a bad idea?

Post by Nei First »

I've read quite a few complaints about the laser burning out after a few plays. Some have said the new model PSTwo's laser is weaker than the older versions.

Most of you guys play jap PS2 games, do you have any problems with yours?
Also do most here own a Jap PS2, or a modded PS2/PSTwo?

Any info is appreciated, I've got some good jap PS2 games that are just sitting there waiting to be played.
raiden

Post by raiden »

from what I read, the laser actually isn´t too weak, but too strong, causing it to burn out easily, especially after a modchip changes voltages ever so slightly. Like the early 10000 series PS2s, the new slimline models aren´t as robust as the late versions of the big case PS2 (50000 series being the latest). PS1 was the same. Unfortunately, 50000 series PS2s have been sold out for quite a while, so you can only find them used right now, and so it´s a gamble both ways. Any way, a jp. PS2 will make things easier than a modded one.
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

ahh well, guess playing my backup games will have to wait awhile. Sounds like modding a PS2 now, is almost like throwing your cash away. Thanx for the info.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I've heard of a fix for the laser. Saw it mentioned on a modchip site. Apparently, it's really simple - you just solder a transistor to a couple jumper points to weaken the laser. I can't remember which site it was, but they do PStwo mods and that includes the laser fix.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

I've got a japanese PStwo, though it really is six and half a dozen between chipping and going all out and importing.

If you can find a way to avoid import tax, then I recomend just importing as you know it's going to last.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

I've got a Jap PS2. The one with the hard drive and the network adapter.
visuatrox

Re: So modding a Slimline PSTwo is a bad idea?

Post by visuatrox »

Well I have had a modded Slim PSTwo since it was released, and so far it is working just fine (and everyone I know that have a modified PSTwo have no problems either).. You are perfectly fine modding a PSTwo if you just keep a few things in mind.

- Buy a modchip that does not generate too much heat (many of the older modchips overheat in the PSTwo).
- Make sure you get a laser fix too, this prevents the laser from burning out, pretty much all professional modders do the fix as standard.

The main problem is crappy and scratched media. The laser in the PSTwo is not adjusted to reading dodgy copies on noname brands. So when it gets problems reading a discs, it does not give up but tries reading it until it dies. You can kiss those cheapo brands goodbye, the only ones I have found working flawlessly are Fujifilm and Verbatim.

The laser dying is not exclusively a modchip related problem, but also something that may happen with unmodded PS2's that play scratched media (and/or homeburnt DVD's or CD's).

So basically what I'm saying is that the laser dying has been blown out of proportions. I don't know anyone in real life who this has actually happened for, but then most people I know don't store their CD's on the floor either :p