RQ: 1cc strategy

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
burnman

RQ: 1cc strategy

Post by burnman »

So I've never been able to do a 1cc on any shmup. I've tried a bit on Gradius 1 and 2 to no avail.

How do people manage to do this? What are good strategies?

Do you set it to 1 ship only, and do it over and over? That's what I've been trying and I just wind up getting frustrated.

Thanks.
LtC

Re: RQ: 1cc strategy

Post by LtC »

burnman wrote:Do you set it to 1 ship only, and do it over and over? That's what I've been trying and I just wind up getting frustrated.
That's how anyone would get frustrated, no matter what experience or skill level.

And instead of starting from the beginning over and over again, a good option (if available, like MAME or other emulators) is using save states. Practise the parts you have trouble with using save states.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

It's just a matter of perseverance...pick a game and stick to it, play the hell out of it over and over again. See what parts are giving you trouble and try out new strategies (different positions or weapon configurations, whatever works for you) until you get it right.

Savestates makes practicing troublesome parts much easier. Have a savestate for each stage and practice them. If a specific part or boss is giving you trouble, have a separate savestate just for that part.

And persevere!
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
stuminator

Re: RQ: 1cc strategy

Post by stuminator »

LtC wrote:
burnman wrote:Do you set it to 1 ship only, and do it over and over? That's what I've been trying and I just wind up getting frustrated.
That's how anyone would get frustrated, no matter what experience or skill level.

And instead of starting from the beginning over and over again, a good option (if available, like MAME or other emulators) is using save states. Practise the parts you have trouble with using save states.
It's all about repetition. As your brain sees the same patterns over and over, you'll eventually figure out what you need to do to proceed.

Even though credit-feeding seems to be generally frowned upon, it's still very helpful to repeatedly practice the areas that are giving you the most trouble.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Also make sure you don't burn yourself out on a game. Don't be afraid to put in a credit or two of another game, or to bust out the counter-strike and cap some heads every so often.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Most likely, you can't just try "a bit". It took me a long time to get my first arcade 1cc, and I still only have something like 5 shmups under my belt.

I've been trying to clear Gradius for about 4 days now (getting to the last stage pretty often but still falling short) and I can tell you that it's definitely salvageable when you die, apart from maybe midway through the fourth stage (the stage after the Heads). I can't imagine that it would be helpful to restrict yourself to only one life, as a 1lc is something that most people get well after they snag the 1cc.
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

For arcade 1cc's, playing over and over again seems to be the only way. Learn from the mistakes, and maybe watch others play the same game and see how they deal with certain enemy and boss attacks. Credit-feeding in arcades can get expensive.

For console games, I do everything I can to learn the game well enough, including credit-feeding and using level select codes to play specific levels with trouble spots that keep me from progressing further (but I'll never use invincibility, max firepower, or unlimited lives type of codes). If the game doesn't have a level select code then credit-feeding becomes the only option. That said, sometimes another good credit-feeding method is to use the 2P controller/2P credits to continue after the 1P credits have been used up (works only if 1P and 2P have their own stock of credits in a game that supports two player simultaneous play and only supplies limited credits).

Of course, once I've worked out the trouble spots, I don't have to do the level select codes for specific problem areas in specific levels anymore. Then I keep trying to get further using fewer and fewer credits, until eventually the entire game has been beaten on a single credit, thus it has been 1cc'd.

(On the other hand, if I want to play for a personal best high score--even if don't 1cc the game--then I only use 1 credit and never continue.)