Singapore

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Molloy

Singapore

Post by Molloy »

I'm off to SNG for 10 days tomorrow. Can anybody give me a list of arcades and locations? My brother who's living there knows a couple of them but he wouldn't be into it to the extent that he'd know where everything is.
To be this good takes AGES
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Glad to see you have your priorities straight.
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

I asked my wife (who is Singaporean) and she told me there are arcades in the malls at Jurong Point and Jurong East (and most of the major malls there). She doesn't quite recall any shmup cabs around there, she hadn't been in them for a few years.
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

Got more info from her:

Recommended: Plaza Singapura or Junction 8 or West Mall or Lot 1. Though she doesn't really know whether they are much good, Singapore is small - you could hit them all in a day, easily. Surely one or two of 'em would have shmups. Good luck! (and enjoy the food while you're there... damn but I miss having laksa).
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

Haha, priorities right indeed. It was for his wedding. Here's my belated update (haven't been on the forum in a long while).

I tried a few different ones. There was only one that I would really class as outstanding though. They had Raiden III and IV (then brand new), multiple versions of every Street Fighter, most of the KoF games and various other fighters I can't remember now. As well as the usual lightgun and racing games you get in every arcade. I'm sorry I've forgotten the name of it but it was the biggest arcade I visited by a long shot so maybe one of the locals can name it.

There was one fellow I was playing SSF2T against and it looked like he sat there for hours, with his very attractive girlfriend perched in his lap patiently watching him. Maaan, I grew up as a nerd in the wrong country.
To be this good takes AGES
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

Yeah, I forgot about this thread... I was back in Singapore for three weeks last April and went arcade hunting. Almost all of them had a Raiden (whether it was III, IV, or Fighters Jet) and a Strikers (generally 1945 II). Some were special; the one I remember in particular was at Bugis (I'm pretty sure) and had Otomedius and Giga Wing 2. Never did find a CAVE shooter though, and I managed to peek into eight or nine arcades around the country. Still, it was nice to see rows upon rows of beautiful candy cabs set up and blasting. Here in rural Kansas, I never got to see a real arcade when I was growing up - I imagine they looked somewhat like that.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

I went to Singapore a few weeks ago. I found it to be an amazing place and there are definitely better things to do there than waste time in arcades but the few I did visit there were fairly cool. There's one in a shopping centre a little way north of Suntec city which has a couple of Raidens, a couple of Strikers and lovely old Twin Cobra. There's one with a couple of Cave titles (DS and Espgaluda) in an MRT station (Dhoby Ghaut I think) but most of them are on the top floors of the various shopping centres so they're harder to find than in most Asian cities. There's plenty of info on the web though - the place with the Cave titles is part of a chain and the parent company's website lists every game they have.

Another thing I noticed is the arcades there have more girl gamers than one might expect. The place near Suntec city was absolutely rammed with chicks but of course they were boogieing, not shmupping :cry:
Last edited by mulletgeezer on Sat May 09, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

Singapore as a whole has a higher % of girl gamers, I think. I'm married to one from there ;) Plus several of her friends are gamers too; it's just more common to see people there playing on PS2s or emulators or handhelds. Wife beside me says "It's because of the stress there, they need violent games to vent. Girls need to vent too you know". She's probably right!
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Interesting... It's true there are more girls playing games on the MRT than in most other places though not nearly as many as I saw in Hong Kong where it seems most young women have a DS in their handbag. There are less women in the arcades in HK though and I'd guess the fact that they tend to be in dimly lit basements, smokey and slightly lacking in poshness might be a factor. Singapore arcades are perfect for females though, being clean, well lit and located in a girl's natural habitat; Shopping centres. I think the rest of the world could learn something from that.