RQ: Truxton/Tatsujin weapon specific bonuses

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
antron

RQ: Truxton/Tatsujin weapon specific bonuses

Post by antron »

So I was playing Tatsujin the other day and picked up the green pulse laser, to try something different.

When I got to the tank platform (I think it was there) I noticed that the green weapon could hit something that I thought was just part of the background. It seemed to charge it up. I kept pounding on it (I had sideships) and at the last possible moment the whole platform exploded.

Are there more things that can only be hit by certain weapons?
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

That's a 1-up point. There's one in the second stage that you need the yellow/red gun to get.

And yes, some enemies are weaker to certain weapons than others, or at least that's how it works out anyway. A lot of stuff just doesn't get hurt by the blue weapon much at all for example, and the green gun rips through certain targets really fast.

There's also a weird set of enemies part way through the game (maybe stage 3?) where if you shoot them with the blue gun, they will get pulled in towards you. If you aren't expecting this it will kill you real quick, but if you do it carefully you can actually pull the enemies off the screen to avoid fighting them.
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

For the 1up points, there are three dots on them. The color of the dots = the color of the weapon needed to destroy it. First one is green (Expert Beam needed), the second one does require the Red weapon. There are also 2ups available at some points of the game, obtained by shooting one of the power up ships in one of the space sections, rather than a bonus item on the platform (and I am not sure what conditions award the 2ups at this time).

Additionally, the enemies that will home in on the ship if the blue weapon is taken--instead of going into the normal five ships formation--is the first midboss-type attack of stage 2. I've never been successful at pulling them off the screen so I just remember never to take the blue weapon that is offered just before that attack sequence.