Double Dragon: right hand side of screen goes funny?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sebastian17

Double Dragon: right hand side of screen goes funny?

Post by sebastian17 »

I have a Double Dragon PCB which when I play on my supergun or jamma cabinet the right hand side of the screen comes in abit - please see image below. Is there anything I can do to stop this, moreover, how would I go about cleaning the PCB?

jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

are you actually missing screen or is it just not sized properly?

perhaps try adjusting the size and positioning on the cab monitor....not sure if your TV has that option

hth :)
sebastian17

Post by sebastian17 »

It's not sized properly , I have tried the adjustments on my jamma cabinet but to no avail - I thought it might be something on the PCB that was at fault?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I would use a canister of compressed air to gently clean a dusty PCB. And use a pencil eraser to get those silver or gold 56-pin Jamma pins all shiny. You can go to your local art supply store and buy a gray colored kneadable art eraser to get them Jamma edge pins all clean. Dip a cotton ball in some rubbing alcohol to get the Jamma pins all super shiny and clean. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
yojo!

Re: Double Dragon: right hand side of screen goes funny?

Post by yojo! »

sebastian17 wrote:I have a Double Dragon PCB which when I play on my supergun or jamma cabinet the right hand side of the screen comes in abit - please see image below. Is there anything I can do to stop this, moreover, how would I go about cleaning the PCB?

I tried my PCB and I have an almost similar result as your with my SIGMA AV-7000 supergun : The black strip on the right is a little bit smaller. In my cab however I don't have the same problem; I just had to tune up the h-pos dial. Don't listen to PC-FX's bs, it won't fix the issue.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Double Dragon: right hand side of screen goes funny?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

yojo! wrote:
sebastian17 wrote:I have a Double Dragon PCB which when I play on my supergun or jamma cabinet the right hand side of the screen comes in abit - please see image below. Is there anything I can do to stop this, moreover, how would I go about cleaning the PCB?

I tried my PCB and I have an almost similar result as your with my SIGMA AV-7000 supergun : The black strip on the right is a little bit smaller. In my cab however I don't have the same problem; I just had to tune up the h-pos dial. Don't listen to PC-FX's bs, it won't fix the issue.
For sebastian17,

I do have a USA region Taito Double Dragon PCB myself. I don't see any sprite screen cutoff as your TV is already displaying the entire game as it should be. As with some PCBs, some portions of the top or bottom (or left and right side portions may or may not be affected as well) might be cutoff and not shown anyways. Sometimes, you have to make do with the TV monitor that you do have. Now if you have "Service Access" to adjust your TV screen's Horizontal position/vertical position settings, do so. The screen positioning issue varies from PCB to PCB anyways.

What I previously mentioned about getting those PCBs cleaned, those time-honored tips work just fine for me. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
sebastian17

Post by sebastian17 »

Thank-you for the reply(s), I really don't know what to do about this though... everyother game works very well on both TV and Arcade cabinet, moreover I have already owned a Double Dragon PCB and it did work well in both the aforementioned visional displays?
The board itself is very old (I brought from my local arcade) and hasn't been used in years [five or more], maybe a good clean and regular useage will work... but thank-you for helping all the same :)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Just out of curiousity, does your sound work perfectly with Double Dragon? I know that it uses -5V in addition to the regular 12+ and 5+ for the sound. So SIGMA's are equipped with -5V then?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
sebastian17

Post by sebastian17 »

I have no sound on arcade cabinet.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Then you need to see if your Power supply can give you -5v as well as the two others. Connect a wire to it (on the supply) and solder that to the two pins between 12V and +5V on your JAMMA harness connector.

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

what kind of cab do you have?

cuz i know nanao's and lots of other monitors have a jumper for wide and normal screen size....if yours has this try switching it to wide....then just adjust the picture to center and expand it out horizontally

its a single pin jumper and it should be by the flyback and will probably be labeled 'n' and 'w'....if its on the 'n' pin, switch it to the 'w'pin.....although it could be the reverse problem, so take it from the 'w' pin and put it on the 'n' pin

basically this jumper just changes the max and min you can adjust out horizontally....most games ned the 'n' pin, but stuff like sh3 cave hardware requires the 'w' pin to display properly

i have a feeling this is your problem....if you cant find anything that fits my description try and take a picture of the monitor chassis for us
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

emphatic wrote:Just out of curiousity, does your sound work perfectly with Double Dragon? I know that it uses -5V in addition to the regular 12+ and 5+ for the sound. So SIGMA's are equipped with -5V then?
Yes it does
grantspain

Post by grantspain »

is this a boot board,i remember years back seeing double dragon boots that came up like this-although you could adjust the monitor to compensate
cools

Post by cools »

It's the monitor/TV. DD has a very low horizontal resolution, you need to tweak the display to get it full screen.