Something I made

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Aru-san

Something I made

Post by Aru-san »

It's called Shooting Tech Demo (until I can find some better name for it), and it's a basic time attack shmup where you need to get as many points as you can within 2 minutes.

You collect multipler items from enemies and also earn multipler items that multiply the main multipler. There's also a frame-by-frame scoring system that puts your current multipler into account, and there's a ranking system that determines your firepower and per-hit bonuses associated with it.

Download:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/8/9 ... v1.0.1.zip

I'm fully aware of the fact that:

- There's no music.
- There's no background.
- The title of the game sucks.

What things should I change for this game? Personally, I think it's pretty addicting.
Last edited by Aru-san on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Enemies releasing bonus things before they're actually dead? That's a new one.

I'm pretty sure you didn't really intend this, because I had a 'S+++' rank within a few moments .. but you can point-blank the enemies and get every one of their bonus things without even really trying.

Later on it seems there's too many enemies and not enough firepower to kill them all. Boo.

Also add some joystick support kthx.
Last edited by Udderdude on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Enemies release bonus items on every hit, that's quite cool IMO.

At the moment player can't die so that should be first thing to fix :lol:
And yeah, joystick support is a must.

BTW Congratulations, you avoided one thing i hate on 99% of GM games. It's 60FPS, synchronized, and without rescaling. Everyone please do it like this.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

worstplayer wrote:At the moment player can't die so that should be first thing to fix
I think it was designed purely as a scoring game, so you only lose score for being hit. It's certianly a different idea .. I don't think it takes off nearly enough score to matter, though.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

Udderdude wrote:I'm pretty sure you didn't really intend this, because I had a 'S+++' rank within a few moments .. but you can point-blank the enemies and get every one of their bonus things without even really trying.
That was what I had intended. The thing that makes it difficult is near the end where you try and point-blank things without hitting the wave behind it.
Udderdude wrote:Later on it seems there's too many enemies and not enough firepower to kill them all. Boo.
More firepower on later ranks, I suppose?
[HINT] Get 22.5 million points before 60 seconds pass.
Udderdude wrote:Also add some joystick support kthx.
Will do.
worstplayer wrote:BTW Congratulations, you avoided one thing i hate on 99% of GM games. It's 60FPS, synchronized, and without rescaling. Everyone please do it like this.
Thanks! I'm a sucker when it comes to 60fps, and I do it all the time especially with Game Maker. I'm guessing rescaling means something around a forced resolution change.
worstplayer wrote:At the moment player can't die so that should be first thing to fix :lol:
Your answer:
Udderdude wrote:I think it was designed purely as a scoring game, so you only lose score for being hit. It's certianly a different idea .. I don't think it takes off nearly enough score to matter, though.
Also, not only do you lose score for getting hit, you also slow down your frame-by-frame point gains. This makes it so it's really crucial not to get hit so you can reap as many points as you can from the frame-by-frame system.

Alright, so my to-do list of major features for the next possible version:
- Joystick support.
- More firepower on later ranks.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Also I'm not sure if the enemy positions are random or not, but it'd be a good idea to have non-random enemy positioning. Scoring games require it pretty much.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

It was pretty fun.
All the problems with it were stated already, also I hate the fact that the game waits till VSync. It makes motion jerky.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

Udderdude wrote:Also I'm not sure if the enemy positions are random or not, but it'd be a good idea to have non-random enemy positioning. Scoring games require it pretty much.
They're random, sadly. It's gonna take some time if I'm gonna program predefined enemy placements.
null1024 wrote:It was pretty fun.
All the problems with it were stated already, also I hate the fact that the game waits till VSync. It makes motion jerky.
Didn't you use GM6 to make bilateral?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Didn't you use GM6 to make bilateral?
Yup. Put the Vista patch on the binary too. I hate GM7 for some reason.

PS: Why do the positions feel less totally random, and more like semi-random [i.e, random based on things like proximity to another created enemy, etc]?
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

You can download every version of this game I ever made.

Things start REALLY tweaking after the last revision I made (ver 1.0.1). Joystick support doesn't come until the last revision I made on there, and even then, the menus are button-based.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

worstplayer wrote:Enemies release bonus items on every hit, that's quite cool IMO.

At the moment player can't die so that should be first thing to fix :lol:
And yeah, joystick support is a must.

BTW Congratulations, you avoided one thing i hate on 99% of GM games. It's 60FPS, synchronized, and without rescaling. Everyone please do it like this.

All my GM games are like that. Well, ok, Space Disorder is at 30 fps, but when I made it, my computer couldn't handle 60 FPS. The other game is 60 FPS, and everything else I've been doing is 60 FPS. And I never rescale anything, I force the screen to match the game resolution.