RGB problem with my new Xexex board

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ckong

RGB problem with my new Xexex board

Post by ckong »

I received my recent purchased original Xexex board today. I installed it immediately in my New Astro City, and fired it up. The games did start allright (although I hear a repeating 'pop' until after the rom check).

I immediately noticed that I only had the green color on screen, and I pushed the test button to check the colors. Indeed, red and blue were not working, also not after I turned the RGB pots in my cab. Everything else works OK, gameplay, sound, credit etc.

I then turned the cab off and on again, but this time I don't get apicture at all. I hear the previous mentioned 'pop' and after a short while the attract sound. I hear the credit go up and the game starts OK. I just have no picture. I did a visual board check, and it looks very clean and undamaged. Oh, and my other game boards are working 100%.

Fortunately the seller did already mention before I bought it that I can return it if I'm not happy with it, but I really would like to keep it, if it functions 100%.

What could be wrong, and can it easily be fixed?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sorry to hear that your Xexex PCB ain't up to snuff. Yeah, it can happen to the best of them PCBs. Such a bitchy bunch, that's for sure. ^_~

I had a Sega ST-V Titan motherboard that would freeze up if the ST-V cart wasn't firmly held in place in the cartridge slot with the gray-colored plastic tabs in place. Sometimes it would play flawlessly, other times, not. Was quite a tempermental and bitchy mobo at times. The only remedy was to get another 100% working ST-V mobo and it works like it is supposed to.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
kemical

Post by kemical »

maybe try adjusting the +5v on the power supply, turn it down a bit possibly, i've had games that act faulty if the +5v is too high or too low
ckong

Post by ckong »

kemical wrote:maybe try adjusting the +5v on the power supply, turn it down a bit possibly, i've had games that act faulty if the +5v is too high or too low
I'll try that tomorrow. You never know.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

XEXEX boards are the shittiest boards I have ever owned. I absolutely LOVE the game, but the hardware is garbage. I have given up on having that one in the collection :(.
ckong

Post by ckong »

ckong wrote:
kemical wrote:maybe try adjusting the +5v on the power supply, turn it down a bit possibly, i've had games that act faulty if the +5v is too high or too low
No luck unfortunately. :cry:

So I decided to return the board to the seller. Fortunately there is Mame.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

ckong wrote:
ckong wrote:
No luck unfortunately. :cry:

So I decided to return the board to the seller. Fortunately there is Mame.
Guess Mame will have to do for the time being until you pick up a replacement Xexex PCB...sorry to hear that you had to send it back. Yep, arcade PCBs can be extremely fickle at times. Best to leave it to the pros to run diagnostics and repair it if it needed be. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
CIT

Post by CIT »

Xexex is known to be a really bitchy board. Mine will only look work properly on a Philips CM8802 (Amiga) monitor.
Grinning Cat

Post by Grinning Cat »

Sorry for the thread hi-jack...but is Xexex really such a troublesome board that it's not worth risking? I've been eyeing up one starpine has listed on Yahoo Japan, but I don't want to risk geting it if I'll almost certainly run into problem! Any thoughts?

In case it matters, my cab is a Net City with Sanwa Tri-Sync monitor - though I will be also getting a stock Egret 2 in few months :)
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Bought one from starpine a while back and it arrived with dead sound.
Grinning Cat

Post by Grinning Cat »

Eek maybe a bad idea, then? :shock:

Are starpine just not very reliable, anyway? I had a faulty Edward Randy from them a while ago, which I'm only just getting fixed now :?