Which of 3 new consoles will be top-loading or tray-based

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Which of 3 new consoles will be top-loading or tray-based

Post by dave4shmups »

I can't seem to tell for certain from ANY of the pictures so far-the PS3 LOOKS like it will be top loading, the XBOX 360 LOOKS like it'll be tray-based, and I can't tell at all in the case of the Revolution.

I'm most interested in knowing about the Revolution-since it will be backwards compatible with Cube games, I'm wondering if the current Freeloader import-player disc will work on it-if the Revolution's top-loading, then I would think that it would-or if not, someone will come out with a new Freeloader disc.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I think PS3 and Revolution might actually be slot-loading (at least that's what it looked like to me, I didn't really look at E3 details or anything)
japtor

Post by japtor »

revolution is slot loading, the ps3 shown looked to be slot loading (although i expect the design to change, like with the original psp concepts, so i wouldnt really think of design much right now), and im pretty sure the xbox 360 has a tray.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Interesting. Well, if that's all true, I just hope these slots don't allow a lot of dust to get into these consoles.

And I wonder how well a boot disc, like the Freeloader, would work on a slot based console.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

It doesn't matter how the discs get in there, it should be a fair assumption that the Freeloader won't work.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

If the revolution is going to use 5" DVDs instead of the 3" GC discs, how are the 3" discs going to work with a slot based drive?
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
japtor

Post by japtor »

newer slot loads ('new' as in a while now) can take in 3" discs. they cant take in irregularly shaped discs though, like the rectangular credit card or whatever else shaped ones.

freeloader may have a chance if it can even boot, otherwise it mostly depends on how rev will handle ejecting stuff. just eject no matter what and pause or something (like gc), wait till drive activity stops, go back to system os, whatever. but yeah i doubt itll work, we wont know for sure until a real unit comes out though.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I was wondering... do you guys think that, with the revolution supporting DVDs and being backward compatible with the GC, that people may start to burn GC games in DVD-Rs and play them on the revoluiton, like a lot of people do with PS2 games? (If it's modded, that's it)
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Maybe they could, it's possible with the GameCube itself right now, but keep in mind that ripping GCN ISOs is no simple task (much like ripping Dreamcast ISOs)