do TG16 controllers work on PCE systems?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
scrilla4rella

do TG16 controllers work on PCE systems?

Post by scrilla4rella »

Have any of y'all tried to get turbo graphic 16 controllers to work on PC-engine Duo. I got the one thats black and slimmer than the fat white one.

might be a good thing to know seeing as crap condition PCE controllers go for over 1000 yen in Akihabara. I need a gang of them for some bomberman.
':)'

c-
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

No, they don't work. The plug is different.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

The plug is different but the pin numbering is the same.

I was able to build a converter myself to get my TG-16 controller working with my CoreGrafx.

You'll need a female DIN-8 (preferably in-line) and an in-line male mini-DIN-8. I used about 5 or 6 inches of 8-wire cabling and altogether it cost me around $3 CAD or so. I did a pretty shoddy job on the mini-DIN end though so I don't really use it anymore, but I know that it does work.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Or get a Duo pad. Those will work on all the PCE consoles no matter what.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
PC Engine Fan X!

Turbo Zone used to sell reverse Duo adapters back in the day

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Back in the day, Turbo Zone used to sell reverse Duo adapters that would allow one to use his/her TG-16 gaming controllers on the PC Engine Duo/Turbo Duo consoles. I got a cool Hori Fighting Stick PC that has a Duo controller setup and had Matt make me a custom Duo adapter that allows any TG-16 game controller to work on a Duo console.

I bought a TG-16 style 8-pin DIN plug at my local Radio Shack a few years back...I doubt it if Radio Shack carries this particular connector anymore.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

You can buy 8-pin male & female DIN connectors pretty much at any electronics components store. The mini-DIN connectors are a bit harder to find since there are several different kinds that look very similar. If you want to go hunting, make sure you draw a picture of the pin arrangement.

Or, if you are extremely desperate, matt or I could make one (I'd say go with matt, like I said earlier, the one I made has some loose connections, not to mention the sleeve cover on the mini-DIN is too large so it needs to be slipped back a bit in order to fit the plug inside my CoreGrafx)
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

The PCE-style plug is the same as was used for serial ports on Macs (I think it may be only the older Macs though, as well as the Apple IIGS). So an old printer cable or whatever, assuming it has all eight wires running through it, could be helpful for making your own adaptors.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Thanks for the info guys :)

I'm thinking I may just get a couple more Hori arcade sticks next time I go to Akihabara. Last time I was in Super Potato they had around 50 stcks all in the original boxes for a little over $15.

Yea I just got one of them Amiga monitors w/ RGB so my new hardware project is going to ge to get all my system RGB output. I can't fucking wait. 14" dedicated tate here I come.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

double post
doh

I just don't really feel like messing with converters right now. I am about the most ignorant person when it comes to hardware and wireing. I would never try to build a supergun in a million years

c
matt

Post by matt »

TG16->PCE controller adaptors are easy to make. I had a bunch of extra TG16 pads that I used to use on my Duo for 5-player games, but these days the only PCE games I play are shooters so I never use them.

Mac serial cables are perfect - just chop one in half, add an 8-pin female DIN to one end, and you're set. Half the work and you get a bonus extension cable out of it.

TZD might sell adaptors, if you don't feel up to making your own. (they used to, at least).
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Turbo zone direct doesn't have those adaptors anymore. In fact they don't seem to have much of anything. their link to repair systems is dead too.