[WAR] simple 16 player vs shmup-PC and Mac versions.

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Pixel_Outlaw

[WAR] simple 16 player vs shmup-PC and Mac versions.

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

In a world that is obsessed with taxing the most powerful graphics cards to the limit, I present a game of simple visuals and simple rules. I wanted to take the single user computer to a family computer for more than one person. I feel that too many people are playing games with people they don't know or care about so I wanted to make them considering playing with their family and the people they may be neglecting in their area. I want friends to get together and play in the same room again, sharing the screen and having fun. I plan to make a series of simple games that let players play a game on the same computer. I want the computer to be a family console and few games attempt this anymore.

Now for a simple demo game.

I'm sorry but this game will require a controller for each player. Playing with more than 2 players per keyboard is frustrating. For now I have opted to only use controllers. Currently there can be up to 16 players at once. I'll consider adding keyboard mapping if possible later. This is a game even my dad and mom can play. (Luckily I have 5 USB controllers) and a USB hub. This game is designed around my needs, so if you don't have a controller you have my apologies. Bad design?- maybe. However this is a game for a specific set of friends and myself. I just get extreamly bored playing FPS and Sports games nonstop. I wanted something simple and fast to break the 4 hour monotony of Halo and CoD WoW. I just prefer simple arcade games.

If you have ideas for key mapping I will consider them. Just USB controllers for now please.

please look for the file " WAR .zip" (also a Mac version!)
DOWNLOAD below
http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/pixel_outlaw/

Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Well, I can't say much until I get someone to play it with me. Maybe just one thing. Is it possible to remap movement to button 3? On XBox 360 controller the movement is on yellow and shooting on green, which is probably the worst possible combination.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

worstplayer wrote:Well, I can't say much until I get someone to play it with me. Maybe just one thing. Is it possible to remap movement to button 3? On XBox 360 controller the movement is on yellow and shooting on green, which is probably the worst possible combination.
Ah sorry about that, I have not added a utility to map buttons. I think I will later. I'm using standard PC dual analog controllers and ps2 controllers for my testing. Once I get some time I will add an "Options" screen where you can fiddle with setting and loading control schemes. This still early enough to change things as needed so thanks.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.