Whats left to get for saturn collection?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Which is why I'm a non-hell-wanting wuss and use the Free Range weapon. ;)
jp

Post by jp »

BulletMagnet wrote:Which is why I'm a non-hell-wanting wuss and use the Free Range weapon. ;)
Heh, I heard that. Arms Arm Armament would be a bitch without it.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

Diabollokus, don't forget to add the Darius II port in your Saturn library. You can still find it pretty cheap.
Shazzner

Post by Shazzner »

You are missing Psychic Killer Tarohmaru. :)
jp

Post by jp »

Shazzner wrote:You are missing Psychic Killer Tarohmaru. :)
1. Not a shmup.
2. Psychic Warlock Assassin Taromaru.
3. Great game and great taste. :) Though suggesting it is a bit of a stretch since it is the most expensive "actually released" Saturn game. And around here, if a game costs a lot of money people will bitch and moan endlessly about it if it doesn't suck their dick or something.
Shazzner

Post by Shazzner »

jp wrote:
1. Not a shmup.
3. Great game and great taste. :) Though suggesting it is a bit of a stretch since it is the most expensive "actually released" Saturn game. And around here, if a game costs a lot of money people will bitch and moan endlessly about it if it doesn't suck their dick or something.
1. I have it.
2. I prefer to call it: "That expensive saturn game I keep my pirate chest".
3. I fucking love it, worth every penny I paid (which wasn't ebay prices but since I don't sell any of my games ever, isn't much of a problem), and with Tama: Mysterious Ball in Giddy Labyrinth rounds out my collection of all two of Time Warner Interactive Japan's games.

:)
PepsimanVsJoe

Ehh..

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

Taromaru isn't that great imo. Visually it's amazing but the gameplay felt seriously lacking.(Thankfully I played it through "other means" and didn't throw down the $250+ required).

Hyper Duel is excellent. The Saturn version features one of the best arranged soundtracks I've ever heard in a 2D shooter(Though Super Darius II for the PC-Engine CD is king in my book..shame the Saturn version of Darius II only has the arcade soundtrack).

Game Tengoku Paradise is pretty good with fun bosses and very interesting level designs(Including a fight through a Dragon Quest style overworld, an arcade, an even a battle with a anime karoake girl).

Wolf Fang is a cross between Metal Slug and a traditional horizontal shooter. You are a mech that is usually kept to the ground but you have many abilities(Aside from a regular weapon you get a special weapon and even a close range attack). Also in the beginning of the game you design the mech the way you want it, choosing the weapons and choice of maneuverability. Oh and it has an Arranged soundtrack! Bliss!

Konami Antiques features a variety of shmups from the MSX era including such classics as Gradius and Salamander..of course they are the MSX versions and well..may not be to your liking(They are an accquired taste imo)

Sonic Wings Special is a good pick for fans of the Psyiko mold of shooters. It features just about every character from the three Sonic Wings games and sticks them into a new set of levels that pull bits and pieces from the three titles. A must for fans of the series and overall a really good title.

Sengoku Blaede is fab. Aside from imo the best Psyiko game you also get a really nice bonus disc filled with nearly 300 pieces of fanart along with other goodies.
----
Guardian Heroes is a solid game. It lacks the refinement and polish of Streets of Rage 2 & 3..imo the far and away two best beatemups ever. Hell barring that I would put Capcom's efforts like Cadillac's & Dinosaurs and the D&D games above Guardian Heroes.

Great game if you're just into the whole Smash Brothers Melee VS mode but it's fairly lacking as a true beatemup.
jp

Post by jp »

Shazzner wrote:
jp wrote:
1. Not a shmup.
1. I have it.
2. I prefer to call it: "That expensive saturn game I keep my pirate chest".
3. I fucking love it, worth every penny I paid (which wasn't ebay prices but since I don't sell any of my games ever, isn't much of a problem), and with Tama: Mysterious Ball in Giddy Labyrinth rounds out my collection of all two of Time Warner Interactive Japan's games.

:)

Didn't care much for Tama myself... but I love Taromaru. Its a shame those guys went out of business shortly thereafter, I would've liked to have seen them squeeze even more out of ye old Saturn.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

You guys have won me over with sengoku blaede

Saw it on ebay £50,- buy it now £100 (like near 200$) so I bought it :shock:
from another guy selling it at buy it now £32 quid! :D
I checked out some screen shots looks good, no one has bitched about it so I bought the dam thing now thats no more buying until i sell a shit load of stuff.

was £32 quid a good price?

A ha! I knew there was something about that free range in tfV! dam unbalanced weapon system is all need lol :) Yep JP thats why I'm going to stick to hyper duel.
Vidi Vici Veni
Ord

Post by Ord »

£32 is a great price for a great game. I paid £39.99 for mine on ebay which was/is mint with the spine & registration card, and i was chuffed to bloody bits over that.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Well is £38 now got hit by the postage fee and postal insurance bit pissed off about it but from what you've said maybe its not so bad.
Vidi Vici Veni