RQ: Ibara is tough

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Hardstepah

RQ: Ibara is tough

Post by Hardstepah »

ok so i just dont grasp ibara other then the medal collecting like garegga and bakraid. other then that how the hell do you score high?

another question i have is concerning the fighter types in the game, the only difference i notice is the speed of the ship. there are descriptions in japanese under the fighter type in config but i cannot read japanese. is this translated somewhere? or can somebody just help an ibara n00b out and explain the different types? and also do the 1P and 2P ships have different bomb and ship types as well?

i notice also that there is concentrated fire in the arrange mode that slows you down similar to other cave classics. wish it was like that on one of the fighter types in arcade mode.

i do expect some flaming, but remember not everybody knows everything about every shmup. i need something along the lines of an "Ibara For Dummies" guide. couldnt find a thread anywhere so my apologies if there is a thread describing this already

<changed GD to RQ -inc.>
Games Wanted:
DoDonPachi PSX, Persona 4, Fatal Frame (all), J360 Console
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

There's quite a few Ibara-related threads in the Strategy forum. Check out the the index to find them. For example, in this post you can find descriptions of the different player craft.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Moved to Strategy.
Chi_Ryu

Re: HELP!!!! IBARA IS TOUGH!!!

Post by Chi_Ryu »

Hardstepah wrote:ok so i just dont grasp ibara other then the medal collecting like garegga and bakraid. other then that how the hell do you score high?
Bomb lots.

And read the strategy section of this site (bit of a mess, but good info in there):
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7667

...and jpj's page on it:
http://world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ibara/System.htm
Hardstepah wrote:and also do the 1P and 2P ships have different bomb and ship types as well?
Yes. It affects speed, bomb style and in some cases bullet style (number of bullets, penetration). The world-of-arcades link above details them all.
Hardstepah wrote:i notice also that there is concentrated fire in the arrange mode that slows you down similar to other cave classics. wish it was like that on one of the fighter types in arcade mode.
That really isn't the style of Ibara - it's a pretty traditional Raizing/8ing style game. The arcade release Ibara Kuro (of which arrange mode is a pale imitation) is a re-engineering of Ibara into a more traditional Cave-esque shooter.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Arrange mode isn't a 'pale imitation', it's just another different version of the game. Black Label is all about buzzing through a million bullets at high rank, and Arrange mode is all about using bullet canceling as much as possible.

But yeah, the Ibara guide for dummies is to just try bombing everything and see what happens. Usually bombing buildings gives you more points or different drops (medals instead of bomb chips or whatever). Bombing small air based enemies causes them to always drop items, which is a big source of points.

For bosses, you want to make sure you knock off as many bits as possible before you kill them. Some bosses have destroyable bullets/missiles/bombs which can be milked for extra points (especially bosses 3, 4, and 6). Finally, you can earn a fair number of points by chipping bosses, shooting them where they don't take damage (very useful on bosses 1, 2, and 4).

For a beginner, you'll probably want to stick to Bond Type C. It has a strong piercing main shot and fixes the front two options which helps you not hit stuff you don't want to. Type-D is not bad either but has a much weaker main shot so if you die and don't grab the right options, you can be in trouble. The advantage is the fixed size bomb lets you wreck a lot of shit very easily from a distance.