RQ: Flying Shark/ Sky Shark

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Large

RQ: Flying Shark/ Sky Shark

Post by Large »

Hi everybody!

I'm new here on the board. I found it because I am looking for some hints and secrets for Flying Shark. I am wondering why the little grey 1up-biplanes sometimes are coming and sometimes not? What do I have to do to make them coming?

Cheers
Large
raiden

Post by raiden »

I´ve been wondering about that, too. One thing I can say for sure is they don´t come when you´re not fully powered up. In general, like Psikyo games, Flying Shark has standard formations which change color depending on game situation, for example there are formations that turn red when your weapon level is low. But there has to be another requirement for the 1up formations. Maybe the bomb stock needs to be full as well? Just an idea, haven´t checked yet.
Large

Post by Large »

I believe it has nothing to do with the bombs. Yesterday I got my first 1up-biplanes short after the first landing. I was fully powered up, but got 3 bombs only. Hmmm... any ideas?

Cheers
Large
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

I think it has to do with score. It seems like when I get over 80k on the first level I get the 1up ships more often.
Large

Post by Large »

Interesting. I try this one out the next days.

Large
lgb

Post by lgb »

Play the NES conversion if you have epilepsy.
Mills

Re: RQ: Flying Shark/ Sky Shark

Post by Mills »

Large wrote:Hi everybody!

I'm new here on the board. I found it because I am looking for some hints and secrets for Flying Shark. I am wondering why the little grey 1up-biplanes sometimes are coming and sometimes not? What do I have to do to make them coming?

Cheers
Large
Thats random and hardly important for this game.
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

It's still good to know because Sky Shark/Flying Shark has a lot of tricky things to learn, and I've seen at least one machine set at Extra Only 100000 points among the few Sky Shark machines I've been able to play. To that extent, extra planes are especially important after the second time the game is looped, since some of the larger ship's big guns easily follow the slower moving plane and fire quite fast... especially on a machine set to only one extra at 100000 points.

Some of the more tricky things to learn, even though this shmup only has one basic weapon for the entire game, are as follows:

1. The first stage has lots of tanks hidden within the trees.

2. The third stage has one of the worst tricks ever to be found in a shmup, at least among those that I have played--the middle part of the large ship cannot be destroyed until after it has left the bottom of the screen and then moved back up the screen. (Players encountering this for the first time may even be tempted to waste all of their bombs trying to destroy the ship's middle before it leaves the bottom of the screen--greatly reducing their end of stage bonus--but while points can be accumulated as long as the ship's middle has not yet left the bottom of the screen, I've not ever seen that it could be destroyed early.)

3. Destroying the stage 5 bomber sufficiently early enough results in lots of tanks shortly after the water section of the bomber zone ends--it's certainly passable, but the first time it's encountered... wow, I know I got shot down by that entire line of tanks along the shoreline.

One thing is for sure, though--the blue/grey 1-up planes, when they do appear, will always appear in the same place that a red S-powerup or yellow 1000 point bonus squadron would have otherwise appeared.
Large

Post by Large »

Mills wrote:Thats random and hardly important for this game.
Well, I still cannot believe that there is anything random in an early Toaplan game 8)

BTW: There are three secret extra bombs to collect, if you shoot the second little train before the first one (they are appearing at two spots in the game).

Regards
Large
51. Large Gothloli Luftwaffe 511 pts. - thx, STGT '09 * 73. Large Zombieloli Kampfgeschwader 731 pts. - thx, STGT '10 * yes, I use Twitter
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Large wrote:
Mills wrote:Thats random and hardly important for this game.
Well, I still cannot believe that there is anything random in an early Toaplan game 8)

BTW: There are three secret extra bombs to collect, if you shoot the second little train before the first one (they are appearing at two spots in the game).

Regards
Large
Do you mean on stage 4? Just pick up each train's bomb icon before shooting the next train, as it seems that only 1 bomb icon can be visible at a time. Or do you suggest that being placed on top of the "cargo" rather than the "engine" will give you two bombs per train in total?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Large

Post by Large »

emphatic wrote:Just pick up each train's bomb icon before shooting the next train
That's what I mean. It's afair practicable at two spots in the game.

Cheers
Large
51. Large Gothloli Luftwaffe 511 pts. - thx, STGT '09 * 73. Large Zombieloli Kampfgeschwader 731 pts. - thx, STGT '10 * yes, I use Twitter
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I noticed the HS thread has separate tables for Hishouzame / Flying Shark / Sky Shark.

Aside from regions, what are the actual differences between them?
I tried to find a rom for hishouzame but wasn't succesfull, I only got fshark.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Hishouzame's set name is hishouza. I don't think there are any differences, but I think the table is split because it's still not confirmed.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Tks trap! :)