twitter.com/shmups (patreon.com/shmups)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DJ Incompetent

twitter.com/shmups (patreon.com/shmups)

Post by DJ Incompetent »

March 2018 - http://patreon.com/shmups donation patreon available. Tip jar for ongoing services. Elixir hospitalized, will return to feed end of March. Do a support, get in the Discord. The main forum donate in upper-right is also available. Help your community.
--------------
May 2017 - Elixir is running it solo http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1256086
--------------

twitter.com/shmups

I have this feeling that even though I browse the forum every 3 days or so, I'm still missing important game name drops, release dates, preorder dates, replay uploads, new strategy guides, HS boards, all that stuff.

I was curious if anybody else supports the idea of a dedicated Shmups Twitter account for adding one-liners of any useful information that surfaces on shmups forum, the IRC channel, cave-stg, gamengai, shoot the core, but without the 30 extra pages complaining about frikkin' scanlines.

I imagine it'd be like a barebones 1-liner news ticker that all the mods and say, 30 of the most reliable users could have access to update.

It is worth asking if there was interest in this sort of thing. Because I sure as hell am interested.

Discussion, go!
Last edited by DJ Incompetent on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Am only "twitting" for about 5 days now, but aside from the general news sites I would love a shmups.com twitter.

I suppose we've got Shmups @Efnet on IRC already, but a twitter channel might be a nice addition.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
kengou

Post by kengou »

Am I the only one who's getting really sick of everybody talking about twitter in like the past month? All it took was some senator using it during an Obama speech on a slow news day and now everyone knows about it and wants to use it for stuff.

It's just a blog with character limit! What's the big friggin deal? For shmups news I get just about everything from either here, the shoot-the-core blog, or Kotaku (which posts most major shmup news). I don't really get the feeling that I'm missing much else.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks »

not sure if the amount of "news" on this forum needs a Twitter feed
Now comes with Gaming Blog and Twitter:
http://mctgaming.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/mr_m0nks
All Your Shmups are belong to us!
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Man that is fucking scary. I had the same idea a week ago:

http://twitter.com/shmups

I suggested it in the channel but no one seemed interested. In order for it to work, we'd all have to know the password, which means anyone can change it. Though, isn't there some sort of password recovery system for Twitter? I don't actually use this.

Edit: Anyone with the password can change the email, providing they provide the current password. This means that anyone can basically seize the account if they felt like it. The password recovery system emails the current email and allows you to change it, but if the email has already been changed, it'll email the newer one. I guess I could trust it to older members here who are willing to post updates on it.

Edit 2: Okay, I just updated it: http://twitter.com/shmups

Twitter automatically takes URLs and turns them into tinyurls. That's pretty cool.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Square King

Post by Square King »

Awesome. I wrote a feature piece on Twitter last year and it's actually pretty nifty. I almost suggested the idea to Postman a few weeks ago.

I agree with having a few members/mods knowing the password and updating it every so often.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

kengou wrote:Am I the only one who's getting really sick of everybody talking about twitter in like the past month?
No, you're not!
But for once I felt the need to get into this hype.
Now everyone will know when I'll take a dump! :twisted: :roll:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

I just got an email saying that my dad had invited me to Twitter. WTF?!

(p.s. you're not the only one)
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Good call, man.
PM me the password and I'll help the cause out where I can.

We should hit up Postman, EOJ, and GaijinPunch if they want in on this.

If cave-stg, shoot the core, gamengai, and shmups forum headlines could all make it to this same feed, this has a chance to become the new English danmaku-gata.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Someone come up with a good background image. I have piss all and all my walls are either too large or too small.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

just added this to my following list!

I kind hate twitter atm, but if it's there for shmups I'll support it. :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

kengou wrote:Am I the only one who's getting really sick of everybody talking about twitter in like the past month? All it took was some senator using it during an Obama speech on a slow news day and now everyone knows about it and wants to use it for stuff.
I'm not sick of it (yet) but It does seem to have gotten big in the past week… the thing is I only heard about it after Charlie Villanueva of the Milwaukee Bucks got in trouble for posting a "tweet" during halftime of a game… Ever since the NBA has now banned twitter during games, I have only begun to hear about it…

Charlie V should know better playing for Skiles :?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Yeah, twitter can be used like that.

I like to call it "tamagotchi syndrome".

But that isn't the purpose of /shmups. This is more about posting updates of random current shmup-related events that aren't just a single picture with two paragraphs (re: Kotaku, Siliconera, 1up, etc) and considered a blog entry.

DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Elixir wrote:Someone come up with a good background image. I have piss all and all my walls are either too large or too small.
You know the dimension limits? I have some ideas.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I don't think it has any. Which.. is bad, because if I make an image a certain dimension, it's only going to look good if you're using it with a certain resolution.

TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

drinking some coffee, took a piss, oh espgaluda 3 is coming out. Can you RSS twitter? i'm not really adept on the whole twitter thing. All i know is its SMS of the internet.
jpj

Re: twitter.com/shmups

Post by jpj »

DJ Incompetent wrote: I have this feeling that even though I browse the forum every 3 days or so, I'm still missing important game name drops, release dates, preorder dates, replay uploads, new strategy guides, HS boards, all that stuff.
i can assure you that you're not missing much :idea:
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Its a fad thing. In 20 minutes twitter 2 will be out, then face ache, then myface. Whatever man!
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Twitter: For when you absolutely, positively need to keep track of what you ate for lunch every day of your life.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Twitter is awesome!
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Its a fad thing. In 20 minutes twitter 2 will be out, then face ache, then myface. Whatever man!
I just Twitted you :lol:
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Udderdude wrote:...what Gordeon Brown ate for lunch every day of your life.
That too!
FIL

Post by FIL »

I bet its haggis and neeps.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

This seems to be coming along quite well. I'll keep updating it with anything new I find.

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Just keep it on-topic please
Crayon

Post by Crayon »

Thanks for providing this wonderful service.
cyprien

Post by cyprien »

Crayon wrote:Thanks for providing this wonderful service.
I second this! It's actually nice to get little snipits of SHMUP info when I'm out and about on my phone.
What are We, candy corn?
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

TodayIsForgotten wrote:Can you RSS twitter?
why yes you can. Bottom right corner
system11

Post by system11 »

I actually wish someone would nuke twitter from orbit.

It's a giant data mining bandwagon application (check the privacy policy), which is now tragically trendy.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

bloodflowers wrote:I actually wish someone would nuke twitter from orbit.

It's a giant data mining bandwagon application (check the privacy policy), which is now tragically trendy.
Yeah. I could get behind the destruction of twitter. It does make society intelligence drop just a bit more. I don't have a personal account or anything.

There's so many good resources buried deep among discussion/complaint posts in STG Chat that your site almost begs for a good ol fashioned data mining. Given the nature of how we're using it, I'd like to think we're helping the cause more than hurting it. Like making medicine out of mold.

Hmmm, that'd make a good tagline, yes?

Shmups twitter: The pennicilin of the internet!

:)