Galaga Arrangement PSP: Different from console?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
8 1/2

Galaga Arrangement PSP: Different from console?

Post by 8 1/2 »

I was playing this yesterday, and maybe I'm totally off here but it seems to be pretty different from the one I played on PS2 back when Namco Museum came out for that system. I don't own the PS2 one, and it's been quite some time since I played it, but I do remember it being at least somewhat challenging. In this one, on default normal settings, almost none of the enemies fire at you. Only bosses deal out any real bullets, and even then it's in slow wide patterns that are easily avoided. To top this off you can power-up to ridiculous levels and the game never stops feeding you lives. I finished it with about 18 extra lives. I don't remember ever finishing the console one. Am I totally bent? Can anyone confirm that the console version is this easy?

It's such a shame that's it's so easy as I really love the design. I'll give it a go on hard later on and see what that does for me.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
SPACE HARRIER

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

About the GALAGA games..I think they all are very easy if you are a "VETERAN SHMUPER"
The only thing you have todo is to avoid the bullets,while most modern shmups you have to :

Avoid millions of bullets at the same time :shock:
Avoid lasers and all other shit they throw at you :shock: :shock:
Don't hit the wall :evil:
End of level baddies are to BIG to move arround :x

Help,I'm gonna play SPACE INVADERS now..CHEERS :wink:
Image = = = = = = =
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

8 1/2 wrote:I was playing this yesterday, and maybe I'm totally off here but it seems to be pretty different from the one I played on PS2
Yep. Galaga Arrangement (2005) on PSP is a brand new chapter in the Galaga series, completely different to Galaga Arrangement (1995) in arcades which was ported to the consoles a couple of years ago.

Which means the "official" Galaga franchise order is:

Galaxian
Galaga
Gaplus
Galaga '88
Galaga Arrangement ('95)
Galaga Arrangement ('05)

Obviously not counting the crap-tastic Destination Earth... nor Namco's more quality spin-offs Galaxian^3 and Star Ixiom
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Thanks TF. I thought I was going crazy.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
professor ganson

Re: Galaga Arrangement PSP: Different from console?

Post by professor ganson »

8 1/2 wrote:
It's such a shame that's it's so easy as I really love the design. I'll give it a go on hard later on and see what that does for me.
I had a similar experience with the new Centipede on the DS. It looks and handles great, but the improved controls makes the game way too easy. What's more there doesn't seem to be a way to change the difficulty. :?
BrianC

Re: Galaga Arrangement PSP: Different from console?

Post by BrianC »

professor ganson wrote:
8 1/2 wrote:
I had a similar experience with the new Centipede on the DS. It looks and handles great, but the improved controls makes the game way too easy. What's more there doesn't seem to be a way to change the difficulty. :?
Sounds like a great reason to hold on to the GBA Atari Anniversary Advance. The Centipede in that collection is much closer to the arcade original and has difficulty settings.
japtor

Post by japtor »

SPACE HARRIER wrote:About the GALAGA games..I think they all are very easy if you are a "VETERAN SHMUPER"
The only thing you have todo is to avoid the bullets,while most modern shmups you have to :

Avoid millions of bullets at the same time :shock:
Avoid lasers and all other shit they throw at you :shock: :shock:
Don't hit the wall :evil:
End of level baddies are to BIG to move arround :x

Help,I'm gonna play SPACE INVADERS now..CHEERS :wink:
i have trouble with galaga to this day. i do much better at it compared to before i got into shooters heavily, but im still not all that good at it. the firing rate and limited speed/movement compared to manics is what kills me the most i think.