RQ: Dragon Blaze - Basic Mechanics and Scoring

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
dmauro

RQ: Dragon Blaze - Basic Mechanics and Scoring

Post by dmauro »

Things I've figured out about the game: a) holding down the shot button uses a magic shot, b) the third button shoots your dragon out! :P

Seriously though, I have no idea how to play this game, but I'm having a lot of fun with it regardless. I can't find a thread that describes the basics of gameplay and scoring so any help would be appreciated. Also, is there any pattern to the stages or are they always random? Thank you!
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

- Kill enemies with the Dragon attack (C button) to get extra coins from them.
- You can collect coins with the dragon while it is deployed.
- Kill specific enemies with the dragon attack to get coin-head guys to show up, shoot them a lot and they drop a lot of coins.
- Get excess powerups for a bunch of extra points.
- Milk the normal enemies that appear on bosses for extra coins.
- Hit bosses in their weak points with the dragon attack to get the Technical Bonus.

That's pretty much it. It's not a real complicated game in theory but it's certainly hard enough and the shear speed and density of bullets will make it challenging to score well.

I believe the stage order changes each time you play, but it's the same the first time you boot up the game each time. Might as well just learn how to deal with them in any order.

Each character also has a different dragon breath attack on and off the dragon. These attacks vary pretty wildly between characters and some are good and some are terrible.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

Thanks! Also, are there hitbox differences between being on and off my dragon?

Basically, I should be shooting my dragon out and bringing him back as much as possible to score it sounds like? Do characters all deal more or less damage with the dragon out (combined) or is that more likely character specific?
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

I have no idea about the hitboxes in the game. And yeah, you should be getting on/off the dragon as much as possible to score well so you can make as many gold coins as possible.

I think in general, everyone deals more damage while on the dragon with normal shot, although I don't know for sure. In general, the fastest way to deal damage is to just keep pounding the dragon shot as much as you can, though some characters might want to use their dragon breath instead.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

Alright, it sounds like I can figure out the details for myself from here. Thanks for all the help!