GB Gradius

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cthulhu

GB Gradius

Post by Cthulhu »

I tried out Gradius (Nemesis) for the Game Boy earlier tonite. Man, it's way more fun than I expected! Level 1 is the standard Gradius 1 level 1, but all the others are unique. It's got good control, good collision detection (rare in GB shooters), and decent bosses too. I went and created a high score thread if anyone else wants to try it. Easy, but tons of fun.

Who says shmups need color anyway!?! :lol:
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

When you say all the other levels are unique, you mean all-new ones? Never before seen?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Yeah, they're unique and not found in any other Gradius games. Well, the Moai head level could easily be mistaken for the Moai level from many other Gradius 1 incarnations, but it's not the same. As far as I know none of these levels are used in any other Gradius games, nor are the bosses after the first one.

Edited again: my answer sounded awfully haughty, which I didn't mean to do. Sorry if I sounded like an ass... I really didn't mean to. :oops:
Last edited by Cthulhu on Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Yes GB Gradius is a damn fine game! Be sure to check out Gradius 2 and Parodius for GB as well! Amazing for such a device and great fun to play!
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I too highly recommend Nemesis-- very nice!
Gradius II on the GB? I knew that Parodius was on the GBC, but had no idea that Gradius II was available for handheld. Is it included in some larger package? Isn't Gradius II also available for the PCE? This is the one Gradius game I have yet to pick up.
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

Well, it's not the standard Gradius II. It's the sequel to Nemesis for the GB and is once again totally original. It's my favorite GB shmup by a fair margin.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

Nemesis II is very unique.

Temple stage, alien city stage, and no Moai in sight at all.

Plus it DOES have a FINAL BOSS, what a surprise.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

OK, now I remember, it has a subtitle like Interstellar Assault. I remember looking for that one for a while with no luck. Maybe it wasn't released in the States or perhaps it just didn't sell that well because copies are in short supply.
Wow, if it's even better than Nemesis, I will have to track it down!
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Dunno about how well it sold but it was released in the US.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

professor ganson wrote:OK, now I remember, it has a subtitle like Interstellar Assault. I remember looking for that one for a while with no luck. Maybe it wasn't released in the States or perhaps it just didn't sell that well because copies are in short supply.
Wow, if it's even better than Nemesis, I will have to track it down!
Yeah, that's the name...Gradius Interstellar Assault. From what I've seen, it's quite common. I see copies of it pretty much everywhere I go that sells used GB games.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Hmm... wish i could find those. I heart Gradius.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

I paid fifty cents for this game, and I played it a lot more than the twenty dollar copy of Iridion 2 I bought on the same day.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The GB Nemesis rocks. I personally liked it better than Interstellar Assault (which is the US title BTW. It's called Nemesis II: Return of the Hero outside the US). I wish I never traded in Gradius: The Interstellar Assault(victim of similar game syndrome. Tried too hard to compare games and failed to realize both games are great).
Palmer Eldritch
Location: Surfing the center of a superstring, headed upreality...

Post by Palmer Eldritch »

Gradius Galaxies (GBA) is not the best handheld shooter ever, but damn, Stage 3 really is beautiful. Love the visuals and seriously love the fire-lions, both regular and boss-wise.

--Michael