Xbox VGA Out?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dementia

Xbox VGA Out?

Post by dementia »

I remember hearing the Xbox had native VGA output, but Microsoft disabled it internally to circumvent more comments about how the Xbox was just a PC in a console's shell. Is there any truth to this? Is there a hack to enable it?

If there isn't a way, what's the best method to play an Xbox on a PC monitor? Are there any Xbox VGA boxes?
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/vga-cable.php

Sounds like far more work than it's worth.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Dave_K.

Re: Xbox VGA Out?

Post by Dave_K. »

dementia wrote:I remember hearing the Xbox had native VGA output, but Microsoft disabled it internally to circumvent more comments about how the Xbox was just a PC in a console's shell. Is there any truth to this? Is there a hack to enable it?

If there isn't a way, what's the best method to play an Xbox on a PC monitor? Are there any Xbox VGA boxes?
I was involved in the early days of xbox hacking, the video chip only outputs a component signal at progressive scan rates (480P and above). Most you could do is jumper the AV cable to output 15khz RGB, but not anything above that.

Given that, the best way to get VGA (or higher) in RGB form is to use a component->rgb "transcoder". The x2vga is what I have and I highly recommend it (also works with other consoles that output progressive like the GameCube).
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Dave_K. wrote:The x2vga is what I have and I highly recommend it (also works with other consoles that output progressive like the GameCube).
How much is a decent price to pay for it? I am really interested.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

icycalm wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:The x2vga is what I have and I highly recommend it (also works with other consoles that output progressive like the GameCube).
How much is a decent price to pay for it? I am really interested.
Its $65 new if you order direct from them www.x2vga.com. Surprisingly, ebay past wins show them selling for that much (or more!)...guess some people don't know any better.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Thanks for the info!