Touhou Kaikidan ~ Mystic Square.

lgb

Touhou Kaikidan ~ Mystic Square.

Post by lgb »

Please post scores for this game in the new high score thread. Thanks!

3 lives, 3 bombs, Turbo Mode ON (I think that's the default), slowdown rate must not be more than 5%.

If a particular character/shot-type is missing a score board, one only needs to ask and they shall receive. Just post a score for that character/shot-type when doing so.

Code: Select all

Post each score as follows:

DIFFICULTY - CHARACTER
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - SLOW RATE PERCENTAGE
--------------------------------------

Easy

-Marisa-
1. Heartbeam   -  63,671,450 - C - 0.22%

-Mima-
1. Heartbeam   -  56,005,900 - C - 0.14%

Normal

-Reimu-
1. Heartbeam   -  65,849,800 - C - 0.14%

-Mima-
1. Heartbeam   -  94,771,290 - C - 0.07%
2. SFKhoa      -  92,625,640 - C - 0.08% 
3. Momijitsuki -  47,477,870 - C - 0.64%

Hard

-Mima-
1. Heartbeam   - 117,903,880 - C - 0.06%
2. Kadou       -  15,624,190 - 3 - 0.44%

Lunatic

-Reimu-
1. Momijitsuki -  11,578,390 - 3 - 0.64%

-Mima-
1. Heartbeam   - 127,491,070 - C - 0.07%
2. Momijitsuki -  29,748,920 - 4 - 0.64%

Extra Stage

-Reimu-
1. Momijitsuki -  39,459,990 - 1 - 0.6x%

-Mima-
1. Heartbeam   - 149,798,630 - C - 0.90%
2. SFKhoa      - 110,541,140 - C
3. Momijitsuki -  50,809,250 - 1 - 1.75%
Last edited by lgb on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:02 am, edited 17 times in total.
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

Normal - Reimu
Heartbeam - 46,473,230 - 6 - 0.07% - Screen

Much better for a first attempt with the new configurations, but everything aside from the background started flashing in and out of visibility again once I battled against Shinki.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Heartbeam wrote:Normal - Reimu
Heartbeam - 46,473,230 - 6 - 0.07% - Screen

Much better for a first attempt with the new configurations, but everything aside from the background started flashing in and out of visibility again once I battled against Shinki.
Don't use Anex as your emulator, use T98-Next instead.
Kadou

Post by Kadou »

Hey, my first score upload for anything!

Hard - Mima
Kadou - 15,624,190 - 3 - 0.44% - Screen

Now that I found out how to get better scores, it should be simple enough to improve on. I am a bit confused on how I got 0.44% slowdown, though... I didn't notice it at all. :/
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

This was from a few weeks ago, so I don't know the slowdown rate.

Extra - Reimu
Momijitsuki - 22,746,470 - 1 - ?
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

Momijitsuki wrote:Don't use Anex as your emulator, use T98-Next instead.
How? It uses a different ROM format.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Kadou wrote:Hey, my first score upload for anything!

Hard - Mima
Kadou - 15,624,190 - 3 - 0.44% - Screen

Now that I found out how to get better scores, it should be simple enough to improve on. I am a bit confused on how I got 0.44% slowdown, though... I didn't notice it at all. :/
Go ask Heartbeam, he seems to have the right idea.

Better yet, maybe he could postcount +1 and tell us what he did in this thread? (Because I kinda want something like that too.)
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

I'm an idiot. I'm leaving this stuff up anyway.

You flatter me. The Touhou Wiki pretty much covers the basics of the scoring mechanics so there's nothing I can say that it doesn't do better, and looking at Kadou's post and screen I think he / she doesn't need any further guidance. I'll just list what happened on my mediocre run.

Clean run until I had to spend one bomb on Alice. Fine on stage four until Mai trashes me with her lasers and life stock starts dropping severely. Repeat for Yumeko and Shinki.

Total score increased at a decent rate thanks to the lowered POC from the dream gauge, and very unforgiving once the first bomb goes off. Seems to be very heavy on memorization like most other shmups, figuring out when it's safe to hang out near the top, best way to sweep across the groups and collect the most point items, etc. Here's your useless post, now. And my score was probably the same as Kadou's on stage three, if not lower.

Thanks for your recommendation on the emulator, I'll give it a go tonight or tomorrow.
Last edited by Heartbeam on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Actually, I was talking about your emulator settings. But I didn't make myself clear enough, so that's pretty understandable...
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

bsidwell wrote:
Momijitsuki wrote:Don't use Anex as your emulator, use T98-Next instead.
How? It uses a different ROM format.
Not that I'm aware of. I use the same ROM in both emulators, and it works fine. In Next, load the ROM in the third slot down, and press the power button. Easy.

Then again... what filetype are your ROMs? They should be .hdi...

Also, regarding scoring: Your dream meter is paramount and is your #1 priority when it comes to scoring. There is no PoC vacuum in this game like there is in the later games, so unless your strategy is to spam bombs (which is also detrimental since it lowers your dream meter and therefore lowers your MAX point item value). Even at the bottom of the stage, you collect the maximum point value of point items just as you would at the top at MAX Dream. Make sense? When you are at maximum Dream value, there is no need to get up as high as you can for more points; it is the same wherever you go.

Also, grazing. It may cap at 999, but the score counter certainly does not-- you'll gain points just as you would if the graze counter were still going. This is especially important in Extra stage, since some of Alice's cards are great for point milking.

The first two stages are pretty straightforward, I shouldn't have to explain those.

Stage 3 Alice is easy when you remember her patterns and for the love of god, do NOT shoot when she has that barrier up! You'll save yourself a lot of trouble by just simply grazing what she throws at you until her barrier goes away.

Oh, and you're better off making sure you fight Mai (the loli dressed in white, looks similar to Merlin Prismriver) in the Stage 4. Yuki (the one that resembles Marisa, or at least, that's what she looked like to me) is considered to be harder, and besides, Mai's song is amazing. :p

Stage 5, Yumeko. Not a fun fight by any means, but a lot of her patterns involve heavy grazing. Go with the flow, and be sure to give yourself some space to change direction (that is, when she's firing stuff at you in a straight line and you're running out of space, rush to the end to lure her fire to the side, so you have some space to keep moving in the opposite direction). The rest of her patterns involve a little bit of memorization, so just practice!

Stage 6, Shinki. Long freaking fight, ugh. That being said, I found her to be pretty easy, those homing yellow bullets aside. I despise those. Once you get used to her patterns (and seriously, you should have plenty of lives stocked by the time you get to her if you do well against Yumeko), she goes down pretty easy. It's really hard to do overall if you're using Anex, so you're very, very, very, VERY well off not using it.
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

Momijitsuki wrote:Not that I'm aware of. I use the same ROM in both emulators, and it works fine. In Next, load the ROM in the third slot down, and press the power button. Easy.

Then again... what filetype are your ROMs? They should be .hdi...
They are .hdi, but T98 is asking for .nhd, which is an extension I've never even heard of.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

Hard - Mima
Heartbeam - 45,464,510 - 5 - 0.17% - Screen

Brutal streaming.

I am sorry to bring this up as the solution is probably standing before me, but how do you resize the window for T98-Next?
Kadou

Post by Kadou »

lgb wrote:Actually, I was talking about your emulator settings. But I didn't make myself clear enough, so that's pretty understandable...
Yeah, I'm still a bit curious. I'm using T98-Next, by the way, so if anyone knows how to lower the slowdown with it (if that's even possible), it'd be appreciated. I can't help you with that resolution problem, though. Sorry.

As for the score system, I just read the Wiki page for the game. While I confused the point item for the dream item (is the dream item blue, by the way?), I pretty much had it right. If I can manage to max the Dream Meter in Level 1 again like I did in that game, then I should be clear. Well, I suppose the grazing will be a bit difficult, but that's because I'm not used to the hitbox yet.

One question, though: what does that "S" item do? I've always seen it with power items, yet I never really noticed it doing anything.
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

Never mind, I figured it out. This program's interface is incredibly obtuse.

[edit] BTW, lgb, the game defaults to 3 bombs rather than the 2. You should probably call more attention to this so people will realize we're using non-default settings.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Yeah, it's a pain, but it runs so much more smoothly than Anex.

As for screen resizing, I have no clue. I'd suspect it would be somewhere in that sea of gibberish, if there is such an option. I'm working on it. :o

To fix slowdown, crank up the memory in the program application. (second tab, labeled 'Memory' in English). I set mine to 64MB, problem solved.

Those 'S' items are just big powerups, that increase your power meter by more than a little power item.

EDIT: SUCCESS! In the game window, press F12, then F10, and it will go Fullscreen. You have to do the same two keys to go back to Window mode, too. Experimenting pays off! :o

EDIT2: Playing in Fullscreen makes Extra stage SO much more tolerable.

Extra -
Momijitsuki - 26,756,920 - 1 - 1.10%

Unfortunately, it seems that playing in fullscreen increases slowdown a bit. However, simply making the slowdown rate limit similar to those of the Windows games (around 10%), it should be all fine and dandy.

EDIT3:

Might as well throw in the Lunatic score I just got, too.
Lunatic - Reimu
Momijitsuki - 11,578,390 - 3 - 0.64% (missed the results screenshot, but I remembered the slowdown rate)
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

New Lunatic and Extra scores. Come on you guys, give me some competition! =O

Lunatic - Mima
Momijitsuki - 29,748,920 - 4 - 0.64%

Extra - Reimu
Momijitsuki - 39,459,90 - 1 - 0.6x% (missed the results screenshot again, but it seems to be a common trend that my slowdown rates are in the .6 area.)
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

I was going to hold out until I got a few more entries so I wouldn't be filling up this thread with what appear to be posts that cannot be deleted. I'm still punching myself in the face for the second one I sent in here.

Easy - Marisa
Heartbeam - 52,780,820 - C - 0.13% - Screen

Normal - Mima
Heartbeam - 56,986,210 - C - 0.08% - Screen

Ah, how did I let that 1-up escape the screen...

Extra - Mima
Heartbeam - 81,520,500 - C - 0.99% - Screen

Success! Perfect cheeto laser phase, but the dissapearing bullets (and the flashing background) on her last phase made it a very close one, eating up five bombs and three lives. Left the stage 0 / 1. Okay, so the background wasn't flashing sporadically but the bullets being visually uncooperative gave off that impression. And watching a video of it afterwards I realize that the attack remains the same, just faster but I didn't catch on to it this run.

Lunatic - Mima
Heartbeam - 49,014,560 - 5 - 0.13% - Screen

Wonder if I should change characters for the stage portion of four.

Normal - Reimu
Heartbeam - 65,849,800 - C - 0.14% - Screen

So much more potential if I didn't always enter stage six with my dream gauge at rock bottom. Where are my practice stages? As for cutting down on bombs / misses, an early miss on stage one, two experimental bombs to see if the dream bonus from the point items collected at the top would negate the penalty and even more. Could save three more if I wasn't always so nervous on Shinki's second-last phase.

Easy - Mima
Heartbeam - 56,005,900 - C - 0.14% - Screen

Always the small things.

Hard - Mima
Heartbeam - 80,189,970 - C - 0.20% - Screen

Ah, what's a little patience to wait out two more seconds so I won't be getting a bullet bonus of 2,020 or 10,150. Ended 3/3, lost the last on a silly thing in her final phase, and a clean second-last phase but given the bombs I'll throw them out anyway. Incites claustrophobia.

Well, I'm overlooking something. The edit button does say 'edit/delete post'.
Last edited by Heartbeam on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 am, edited 11 times in total.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Whoa, good job! I guess I gotta step up my game a bit! =O
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

My computer is apparently not up to the rigors of PC-98 emulation.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Is there a way to get USB pads to work in T98 Next? I'm guessing it's something simple I've overlooked... (I'd rather not use Joy2Key due to the inherent slowdown caused by this avenue)

I've been playing this game (on Annex) solidly for the last week or so, so when I get this better emulator up and running, I hope to submit some scores :D
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

I have no idea.

On an unrelated topic, my Highly Responsive to Prayers (Touhou 1) file isn't working anymore. Can anyone tell me why? ;;
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

MX7 wrote:Is there a way to get USB pads to work in T98 Next? I'm guessing it's something simple I've overlooked... (I'd rather not use Joy2Key due to the inherent slowdown caused by this avenue)
Yes, they work automatically. If yours isn't doing anything it's probably because of the way your buttons are set up.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Time to try Extra stage with more firepower.

Normal - Mima
Momijitsuki - 47,477,870 - C - [missed the slowdown, but it's probably around the same as my other scores, .64%-ish]
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Extra - Mima
Momijitsuki - 50,809,250 - 1 - 1.75%
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

First time playing this game.
Normal - Mima
SFKhoa - 65,122,720 - C - 0.11%
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Go for extra stage! ヽ(゜∀゜)ノ
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Done. First try too.
Extra - Mima
SFKhoa - 43,893,820 - C - Unknown. :x

Also, lgb, you put my Normal score on Easy.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Nice one. I was like 5 seconds from beating Alice with no bombs left, when I got hit. I was so mad. x_x

Might give this a go for some closure later on.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I have no idea how to make the dream bar go up faster. :x
EDIT: New score w/ Mima.
SFKhoa - 61,948,750 - C - 0.55%