['Fudoh-heeelp!!'-CREW:] about HDTV purchase and HDBOX PRO

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cvaniafan

['Fudoh-heeelp!!'-CREW:] about HDTV purchase and HDBOX PRO

Post by cvaniafan »

Hi all

I plan to buy a 40" HDTV and would like to know what brand you recommend ?
I will mostly use SD systems (DVD and 'old-gen' consoles) and read the Sony 4000 series are the best for them, is it true ?

I know about the XRGB's, but they are quite pricey so I prefer to buy a HDBOX Pro.

In Europe, some of the better signals we can get from old-gen systems comes from Scart RGB, so I would like to know if a PS2 with component cable + HDBOX connected to the VGA-in of the HDTV will really deliver a better result than the PS2 directly connected to either the HDTV'Scart-in or Component-in ?
Same question about the older systems like Sega Saturn or Neo Geo if I connect them to the HDBOX via a RGB-to-YUV converter (like this) ? And isn't there a signal loss with that kind of RGB-to YUV converter ?

In other words, is the HDBOX will really deliver an image enhancement compared to the direct connections to the HDTV-in's ?
Or is the HDBOX only recommended for connecting console systems to a PC-VGA monitor ?

THANKS for your reading & help!
system11

Post by system11 »

I've got a Sony KDL 40X3000, it does a pretty good job with low res systems, but you will have to fine tune the picture options. I've got an HDBOX Pro too, but it's only connected to a PC monitor. Component isn't as good as scart so I can't see that there would be any benefit passing it through a converter.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Component isn't as good as scart so I can't see that there would be any benefit passing it through a converter.
are you refering to the X3000's processing of RGB vs. Component or the signals per se ? I don't see a difference here, neither generally nor on my X3500.

The HDBox Pro seems to have problems with 240p signals from older systems. Since the box has component only, it's usually not a problem, but once you try to use a converted RGB signal from - let's say - a Saturn you might run into problems. I haven't tried it myself, but I heard from someone trying to use a RGB-YUV converter with a Saturn and a HDBoxPro and it did not work.

In general I would say that the X3000/X3500's processing is somewhat on par with the HD Box Pro. I had a Super Famicom, Saturn and PC Engine run directly via Scart on my LCD and the picture's about the same as with a Faroudja-based Videon Omega One or Vigatec FX2. The V/W4000 series Sonys are supposed to be less good, but should still be somewhere in the HDBoxPro range.

In your position, I'd purchase the TV first, play around with it, try your various systems. If your unhappy, get a HDBoxPro and see if it's fits your needs any better (but beware the 240p problem), but be prepared to resell it and settle for a XRGB in the end. You'd probably find a used XRGB2plus for about 200 Euro in Europe. While this is - of course - more than a HDBoxPro costs, I find it rather ok measured by the price of your new TV and in order to really get the best possible quality from your older 240p systems...
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Thanks for your reply guys.

Fudoh, your website is extremely interesting about this topic.
The V/W4000 series Sonys are supposed to be less good, but should still be somewhere in the HDBoxPro range.

What about the Toshiba and Samsung TVs compared to Sony ? I mean is Sony really the reference for processing low-def ?

So, you mean the original processing of the hdtv with a console directly SCART-connected to it will be as good as if the console was connected to the VGA-in of the tv via a HDBOX, correct ?
But, on the other hand, if the console is connected to the VGA-in of the tv via a XRGB2+, the image will be really enhanced, still correct ?

I first thought old-gen consoles with the HDBOX would deliver an almost CRT-like image quality on the hdtv (that's the quality I call "enhancement" and wish to get). So only the XRGB2+ can do this on hdtv ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What about the Toshiba and Samsung TVs compared to Sony ? I mean is Sony really the reference for processing low-def ?
Absolutely no experience with Toshiba sorry (because they don't offer warranty on their TVs in Germany) and the Samsung LCDs are quite bad compared to the Sonys. I remember some smaller LGs to be quite ok, but it's been some time since I've seen them.
So, you mean the original processing of the hdtv with a console directly SCART-connected to it will be as good as if the console was connected to the VGA-in of the tv via a HDBOX, correct ?
at least on a Sony X series TV, yes.
But, on the other hand, if the console is connected to the VGA-in of the tv via a XRGB2+, the image will be really enhanced, still correct ?
yes, quite a bit sharper. Have a look at the Metal Slug X titles I've taken photos of. You can directly compare the direct YUV/RGB connection to the XRGB2 or 3.
I first thought old-gen consoles with the HDBOX would deliver an almost CRT-like image quality on the hdtv (that's the quality I call "enhancement" and wish to get). So only the XRGB2+ can do this on hdtv
you really have make a difference between 240p and 480i content. The HDBox Pro was made for 480i games, definitely. And it does an ok job on them. For 240p sources there's any hardly any alternative to an XRGB, a Faroudja-based machine or an DVDO Edge (from the cheapest to the most expensive...).
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Fudoh, thanks for your response.
Yes, differences between 240p and 480i has been a bit blurry in my mind, but your infos help me to understand better ;)
I might finally search for a XRGB2+ (I guess this does more than emulating scanlines right ?).
Anyway, thanks again!