GD: Otomedius

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SAM

GD: Otomedius

Post by SAM »

Since there is no such a thread yet, so I had no choice but to start one.

You guys probably know that I am not the kind of guy that would wrote a ST (lazy), so I better make it a GD.

I found some info of the game over here.
http://www5.atwiki.jp/otomedius/

But it don't answer some of my questions.

water (Blue) / fire (Red) / wind (Purple) / earth (Yellow)

(1) dose your weapon has a color properties?

(2) It seems that the properties affect how much punishment a color bonus could take before disappear. But what is the rule?

(3) Do how much experience you got affect your score?

(4) there is more than one type of laser, buy they don't seem to have any difference. Am I missing something?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SAM

Post by SAM »

My 2 cents...

(1) It would be better to have at least one BURST filled when to go on to the next stage. As enemy formations appears at the start of each stage means scoring opportunities.

(2) Each capsule get your BURST 1/40 filled, and BURST fill 1/2 (i.e. 20 capsules)
With this in mind, we could tried to set up plan for each stage:

e.g. ウィキ サン・サルバドル島 (HARD) 空羽亜乃亜
by SAM

Enemy's Name:
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Gradius/Enemies

So you start with two BURST full speed (using REVERSE), use one BURST to destroy two 8 Fans formation, got 16 capsules.

Use the capsules this way:
5 (Option) + 5(Option) + 6 (Burst)

Then you would got...
Ship Status: Full speed, 2 options, one and 36/40 burst filled.

Two Garun pairs comes in, two of them are Red. Use them for Missile.

Ship Status: Full speed, Missile Lv1, 2 Options, one and 38/40 burst filled.

Use one BURST to destroy two 8 Fans formation coming in at the same time., got 16 capsules.
(I don't have the skill to pickup the capsules, and powerup properly at the same time. So I just pick them up.)

Ship Status: Full speed, Missile Lv1, 2 Options, one and 14/40 burst filled,
with Laser highlighted. (if no capsule is missed)

Four waves of Garun come in with a Red one in each wave.
As it is normal that a few capsule would be missed by this time, just use them to get the 2nd, 3rd option or Laser or Burst. (IMO Burst would be a better choice)

Ship Status: Full speed, Missile Lv1, 2 Options, one and 38/40 burst filled,
with Missile highlighted. (if no capsule is missed)

Then here comes in the real meat, four squadrons of eight Beans, with a total of 32.
(Again just pick them up)

Ship Status: Full speed, Missile Lv1, 3 Options, one and 30/40 burst filled,
with Laser highlighted. (if no capsule is missed)

If you do this fast enough, there would be four lines of Garun coming in. So immediately, charge up your D-Burst (without picking up your options first)

The Garun should add around 8 to 12 capsules.
(You should try to have one Burst filled, use them as you see fit.)

Total capsules collected: 78 to 82

So it at least 70+, each capsules worth 500pts, i.e. 35,000pts from collecting capsules alone.

And you are now properly powered up for the real action.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
dai jou bu

Re: GD: Otomedius

Post by dai jou bu »

SAM wrote:Since there is no such a thread yet, so I had no choice but to start one.

You guys probably know that I am not the kind of guy that would wrote a ST (lazy), so I better make it a GD.

I found some info of the game over here.
http://www5.atwiki.jp/otomedius/

But it don't answer some of my questions.

water (Blue) / fire (Red) / wind (Purple) / earth (Yellow)

(1) dose your weapon has a color properties?

(2) It seems that the properties affect how much punishment a color bonus could take before disappear. But what is the rule?

(3) Do how much experience you got affect your score?

(4) there is more than one type of laser, buy they don't seem to have any difference. Am I missing something?
(1) Yes, each character has an elemental property. If it hits an enemy whose element opposes it, they'll receive double-damage. As a general rule of thumb, the default weapons given too each character will represent the element that the game says they are (ie- Aoba Aona is water, so all of her default weapons will be blue).

Also, Green is supposed to have no element associated with it.

(2) I don't really think they affect how much punishment they take. Then again, I try to destroy the elemental gems as fast as possible in order to maximize the amount collected. Unless I was doing that wrong and you're NOT supposed to destroy them but only shoot at them enough to reveal themselves and then pick them up.

(3) Your answer can be found by rewording the order of your question. :)

Long answer: The more elements you collect, the more Power Up Capsules you get at the end of the stage, and the less damage you'll take (which is another factor in determining your grade for the stage, which also gets its own experience point value) will decide how much EXP you'll get.

(4) Yeah, some have elemental properties to them. Standard Laser (Aoba Aona, like I mentioned before) is blue, Cyclone Laser is Red, Twin Laser is Air, etc.

My Two Credits to your 2 Cents...

You need to be smart in using your D-Bursts. They're useless against most bosses since many don't have a lot of destroyable parts (unless you want to kill them right away), so you should be stocking up on D-Burst Charges before the stage ends. Or you can suicide (actually, this is mostly discouraged since it will affect your grade at the evaluation unless you play PERFECT)

Also, the plans will differ since enemy formations and gem placement will change depending on what difficulty is chosen when the stage starts. Not to mention the D-Bursts are different enough for each character to warrant a different opening strategy. Madoka for example is braindead easy since her Twinbee summon is one of the most effective ones in the entire game, since you can always keep one on the playing field without much effort if you persistently keep picking up enough Capsules to summon another one the moment you know that the current one will leave.