Good TV for tate?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
John845

Good TV for tate?

Post by John845 »

Preferably cheap too. The current TV I have tried tate on has "warping" at the top of the screen, incredibly weird. So I'm looking for a TV that's good for tate and that won't break the bank.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Hope you get an answer to your question, have tried to tate my tv to, but it's getting red on the side of the screen.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

You ideally will be wanting a cheap, boxy CRT (not widescreen preferrably) of around 20" in screen size. The best way to get one these days is to simply ask your friends and family if they have an old TV they want rid of, as a lot of stores just sell LCD and plasma now.

If you can't pick up a second hand one, then this site has a relatively good list:

http://www1.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-standard_tvs-crt_tv--4_3

I'd try your local papers selling section before you go buying a brand new effort though. You can normally pick up old CRT's for next to nothing seeing as everyone is going HD and CRTs take up a shitload of room around the house.

Also, remember to unplug your TVs when your flipping them and leave them off for a few minutes after you've tated.
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

I'll recommend Sony trinitron kv29x5. Great picture, small for a 29:er and it stands rock-steady on its own in tate.

Any CRT should be cheap, so go for quality.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

sony PVM series or NEC XM29 series
captpain

Post by captpain »

jonny5 wrote:sony PVM series or NEC XM29 series
Loads of those going for cheap :P
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

yup....quite easy to find on craigslist and ebay for quite cheap
captpain

Post by captpain »

I passed one a nice PVM series monitor on Craigslist that some guy was basically giving away (I think for like $25) because I didn't know what it was at the time. Haven't seen one since... :?
quoth09

Post by quoth09 »

You could always look around your neighborhood and see if someone puts something out on the curb. I scored a Panasonic 27" for free (albeit crack in the top right corner). The previous owners probably got rid of it because of the crack, or they got an HD.

It only does composite, but who cares. If it dies next week, I won't care. TATE for free. :D

Another place you could check is your local thrift stores, especially with the new digital broadcasting coming through, if they are smart, they will realize that no one wants the stuff for the most part, and even then they will have to get a converter box to use it for anything other than DVD, etc.
I will laugh when thrift stores start having HD TVs.

Another option would be to get a VGA box and use a CRT VGA monitor.

With analog broadcast going out the window, those same windows will be opening opportunities to people like ourselves to snag cheap TATE monitors, and I say bring it on.
John845

Post by John845 »

Thanks for the tips guys.
elvis

Post by elvis »

z0mbie90 wrote:Hope you get an answer to your question, have tried to tate my tv to, but it's getting red on the side of the screen.
You just need to degauss it.

You can buy degaussing wands for a few dollars. Check any monitor/tv repair shop, or eBay.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

If you live in the US wall-mart still carries CRT TVs.
G@M3F@N

Post by G@M3F@N »

jonny5 wrote:sony PVM series or NEC XM29 series
I would suggest searching out your local Craigs List. I found a PVM 2030 for $25.00. Makes for an excellent TATE setup.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

yojo! wrote:If you live in the US wall-mart still carries CRT TVs.
So does Target. I picked up a 20" Magnavox for $160 new... it has A/V, S-Vid and Component inputs.
msm

Post by msm »

i'm having difficulty getting a nice TV for tate at the moment...but to cut a long story short...

i might have the chance to get a 27" sony PVM 2730QM - should i jump at the chance? it doesn't have a remote - anyone know if they have buttons etc on them for all functions or will i need a remote? i've seen replacement remotes but they say they might not be compatible with all functions :? i have a programmable remote too so i guess that's something to look at too.
Robert garcia

Post by Robert garcia »

I bet this Sony will have a on-Screen Menue wich could be operated with only 3 Buttons on the TV. Sure it`ll make a superb Picture.

I had an Black Triniton over Years as Tate TV. It still works great for a friend of mine wich studys and spends his money for PC & Photography stuff...

When You Tate Your CRT, it should be cold, means powered of for several hours before You Tate. Otherwise it will get this Colorfading in the Corners.
Always only Tate a cold CRT
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

And if you get color fadings, you might remove that by a manual degauss. Use an electrical razor or something else that creates a magnetic field:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYW0784m1HE

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
msm

Post by msm »

thanks, i'm going to go for the tv hopefully.

interesting info about leaving the tv off for hours before tate-ing it, i thought it was just 5 mins before/after? also don't most tv's degauss every time you turn them on?

i've tried a lot of CRT's recently and found that flat screen ones seem to make the colours look flourecent (when used with a pcb/supergun, only game tried was galuda 2) - anyone else noticed this?
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

Yeah, if my TV had to be off for several hours before tateing, I would get a new one for sure. My sony needs about a minute.
msm

Post by msm »

^ actually one of the flat screen tv's i tried was a 14" sony trinitron.

i got a sony pvm monitor and it's great apart from colour fading and reds being off colour in the bottom left quarter of the screen, i tried the below idea with a razor and it seemed to help a bit but the fading/reds problem is still there, any ideas? do i need to use something stronger to degauss it?
emphatic wrote:And if you get color fadings, you might remove that by a manual degauss. Use an electrical razor or something else that creates a magnetic field:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYW0784m1HE

Emph
the black_7

Post by the black_7 »

Could you tate an LCD or plasma screen?
captpain

Post by captpain »

the black_7 wrote:Could you tate an LCD or plasma screen?
Yes, for LCDs at least. I don't have any experience with plasmas.
the black_7

Post by the black_7 »

captpain wrote:
the black_7 wrote:Could you tate an LCD or plasma screen?
Yes, for LCDs at least. I don't have any experience with plasmas.

..............yyyyyyeeeeeeeesssss.