Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Aligarion wrote:I am using the following script but it doesn't work... do you see the problem ? The game return the following error in the Draw event : "Unknown variable flash" .
Hi, I am following your Z-Out remake, and it looks very interesting so far.

I suggest setting the "Treat uninitialized variables as value 0" in the Errors tab of the Global Settings to see if that fixes your problem.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Aligarion

Post by Aligarion »

Alluro wrote:Hi, I am following your Z-Out remake, and it looks very interesting so far.

I suggest setting the "Treat uninitialized variables as value 0" in the Errors tab of the Global Settings to see if that fixes your problem.
Yeah, it makes the color of sprites change when they are hit and the error as disappeared.

But now the animation of sprites restart to "-1" when they are hit and stay red even after a while. :wink:

draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,-1,x,y,1,1,0,c_red,1)

Is it possible to only change the color of the subimage hit by a bullet ?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Aligarion wrote: But now the animation of sprites restart to "-1" when they are hit and stay red even after a while. :wink:

draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,-1,x,y,1,1,0,c_red,1)

Is it possible to only change the color of the subimage hit by a bullet ?
That should work with no problems. A value of -1 for the subimage in a draw_sprite function will draw the current frame. Try checking if you have any sprite_index changes in your enemy coding that's being called inadvertently. Did you set your enemy's image_speed (animation speed with respect to room speed) to a certain value?[/b]
Aligarion

Post by Aligarion »

Alluro wrote:Did you set your enemy's image_speed (animation speed with respect to room speed) to a certain value?[/b]
To a certain value.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

that video is very cool. will you be using the song that was allowed to be used for this game? and also I think it would be cool if you had a custom warning image rather than getting one from a different game.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

lilmanjs wrote:that video is very cool. will you be using the song that was allowed to be used for this game? and also I think it would be cool if you had a custom warning image rather than getting one from a different game.
I will use that shooter boss mp3 we were allowed to use for this game as a third boss BGM. If anyone can help make a good boss warning image, it'll be appreciated. I'm no good at making my own graphics. However, I can utilize existing graphics quite well.

On another subject, here's a list of things that I will scrap in the remake that are in the original:
*Bullet buzzing/scraping/scratching/grazing. The only reason why I put this in the original was because it was in Raiden Fighters. Since Xeno Fighters combines both Seibu and Psikyo game elements, bullet grazing became a cumbersome feature.
*The Ultima-X. It is a cheese ship, sure, but it is far too powerful even for a cheese ship. If any resemblance to the Ultima-X were to be put in, it'd be that upon which its weapon is based: the Type-A from Batsugun.
*Story screens between levels. Even though you can skip them, they disrupt the flow of the game. The story will be implemented, but with minimal interruption in the gameplay (like Giga Wing for example).
*End-of-level bonuses. This is now obsolete due to the massively revamped scoring system.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

you might say how big it needs to be so that it will be easier to make the image.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

lilmanjs wrote:you might say how big it needs to be so that it will be easier to make the image.
A new auxiliary image is not of great importance right now. What is there now is a placeholder.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

One other major change in the remake are more midbosses. Midbosses will be placed in the very long levels (such as Stage 3, Stage 5, and Stage 7) so that there will be much needed action in these long levels.

Here's the new midboss for Stage 3 (1974 Vietnam): Teramanta
ImageImageImage

Teramanta comes from Sky Soldiers, 1974 Vietnam, Stage 1. The name is a homage to Battle Bakraid's Gigamanta. The prefix after "giga-" is "tera-", therefore...
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

will a demo be released at some point?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

lilmanjs wrote:will a demo be released at some point?
If all goes well, I could have a first demo by this weekend. I spend 80% of my development time playtesting levels...and I'm putting much more care in level design in the remake than in the original.

Do not get your hopes up about it though. I have college classes and a job, so I will not have as much free time to work on the game.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Alluro wrote:
If all goes well, I could have a first demo by this weekend. I spend 80% of my development time playtesting levels...and I'm putting much more care in level design in the remake than in the original.

Do not get your hopes up about it though. I have college classes and a job, so I will not have as much free time to work on the game.
I'd love to have a demo. if one comes out how many levels, ships etc... will it have?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

lilmanjs wrote:
Alluro wrote:

I'd love to have a demo. if one comes out how many levels, ships etc... will it have?
Making a typical level now takes anywhere from 3-5 days from conception to final playtest. If I were to release a demo this weekend, there would be 3 levels with three ships in the demo.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8wKljT868&fmt=18

Miyamoto the Dragon gameplay. This video showcases an 80% complete remake of stage 3 (1974 Vietnam) with several new features:
*The annoying Seibu Kaihatsu sniper tanks that appear from awkward places.
*Custom Raiden Fighters-style screen transitions.
*A new mini-boss: Teramanta.

The endboss of Stage 3 is not done yet.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

Alluro wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8wKljT868&fmt=18

Miyamoto the Dragon gameplay. This video showcases an 80% complete remake of stage 3 (1974 Vietnam) with several new features:

In my honest opinion, I think the Raiden Fighters-style transition could be a little bit faster (but that's just me).

Also, I've been meaning to ask you this, but considering that this is being made in Game Maker now, I would assume that the fire button is mapped to the Z key and the bomb mapped to the X key, correct?
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Aru-san wrote: In my honest opinion, I think the Raiden Fighters-style transition could be a little bit faster (but that's just me).

Also, I've been meaning to ask you this, but considering that this is being made in Game Maker now, I would assume that the fire button is mapped to the Z key and the bomb mapped to the X key, correct?
It is extremely easy to change the speed of the RF transition. It's a 2 minute change at most.

And I did map firing to the Z key and bomb to the X key. If you have a good gamepad, go get Xpadder or Joystick to Mouse 3 to allow you to map keyboard keys to your gamepad. I personally use a PS2 Dualshock controller with Joystick to Mouse 3 on this game.
nZero

Post by nZero »

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I'm super impressed with this new video. Looks like a lot of fun.

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

the first game I ever bought with my own money was Mega Man 8. great choice of music for the ship selection. I like how you can actually hear the song in stage 3 now. great work on this remake.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Alluro wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8wKljT868&fmt=18

My favorite part was the stage 2 boss patterns. Stage 3 seemed to scroll way too slow, and the music was kinda boring. I would speed it up a bit and pick some better music.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Man Alluro - I totally look forward to this. As a huge Psikyo fan, I can't wait for all the bosses (not to mention being a huge Dimahoo fan). Seeing the bullet style you took instantly grabbed my attention.

This is way off track, but I've always wanted to see an homage to great shmup bosses put into a game. Like a boss rush mode against remakes of several of the genre's great bosses (Dimahoo level 5 boss, Strikers's bosses, Gradius, etc...).

Maybe a unlockable Boss Rush EX ? ;)

The videos look great btw.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Udderdude wrote: and the music was kinda boring.
The music for stage 3 is purposely supposed to be minimalistic and ambient. The music choice is more for atmosphere and soundtrack dissonance (intense action with purposely unfitting slow music). One thing I'm doing is not using only rock or techno music, like so many SHMUPs do.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Alluro wrote:
Udderdude wrote: and the music was kinda boring.
The music for stage 3 is purposely supposed to be minimalistic and ambient. The music choice is more for atmosphere and soundtrack dissonance (intense action with purposely unfitting slow music). One thing I'm doing is not using only rock or techno music, like so many SHMUPs do.
Nice. Just like stage 3 in Mushihimesama. I would be interested in creating an original soundtrack for this game if you like. Need to have videos of all stages to set the tempo to though. Are the background music in mp3/ogg format?

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

Speaking of music, will the remake support custom soundtracks?
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Aru-san wrote:Speaking of music, will the remake support custom soundtracks?
Most definitely. Like the original XF-EX, all music are external MP3 music files. Just rename your custom mp3 music to that used by the game to customize the soundtrack.
bob

Post by bob »

You know that you have to pay fees if you use mp3 music and your game gets downloaded 5000 times or more?

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

You might say your game isn't downloaded that often or there ist no way to proof how many people downloaded it.

But the easiest thing would be if the licence holders just download it 5000 times themselfes. Then the limit is hit and they have proof for it.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bob wrote:But the easiest thing would be if the licence holders just download it 5000 times themselfes. Then the limit is hit and they have proof for it.
Would be even easier if the music was in a free format like .ogg and the used music was license free.

Emph
landshark

Post by landshark »

When the hell did that pop up?
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
bob

Post by bob »

emphatic wrote:
bob wrote:But the easiest thing would be if the licence holders just download it 5000 times themselfes. Then the limit is hit and they have proof for it.
Would be even easier if the music was in a free format like .ogg and the used music was license free.

Emph
That's what i wanted to suggest with this info.
And with saying te easiest thing I meant the easiest thing for the licence holders to prrof he has to pay the fee. Not the easiest thing Hhe could do.
When the hell did that pop up?
Together with the existence of mp3 files :)
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

I think it would be cool to have a couple of alt music packs for this game. what do you guys think?