CPS2 tall pixel-style thingy

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
GaijinPunch

CPS2 tall pixel-style thingy

Post by GaijinPunch »

What do you call this when the pixels are longer than they are wide? The CPS2 features this as I read (in another language).
japtor

Post by japtor »

non square pixels? when cps2 stuff is displayed with the pixels at 1x1, everything looks squished vertically. resolution is 384x224. when displayed on an arcade monitor, the image is stretched to fill the 4:3 screen ratio, so the pixels are taller than they are wide.

i think the psp darkstalkers has a wide mode or something to fit the psp screen, which i believe uses the original sprites, but displayed w/square pixels. it looks squished. it also has a letterboxed (sides) mode that squishes it to the proper 4:3 ratio. you can see this in screenshots of it, or emulated screens of cps2 stuff (with no resizing).

dvds also use non square pixels. their native resolution is 720x480, but is displayed in 4:3, or other aspect ratios for widescreen stuff. the image is stretched/compressed in whatever way to show a proper image, resulting in the pixels being non square.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Interesting. I will work with that and try to come up with something. Thank you sir.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Try using pixel aspect ratio and screen aspect ratio to describe the effect. In CPS2's case, the pixel aspect ratio is 12:7, but the video output is designed to be displayed on a 4:3 monitor. Only when the pixel aspect and the screen aspect match up will you get square pixels.

This is of course why LCD monitors with a 1280x1024 native resolution have a screen aspect ratio of 5:4. Otherwise Windows and the like manage to look stupid. Like playing TATE games fully stretched out on a horizontal monitor :cry:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I posted this same concern in another thread with Dimahoo/CPS2 board. When displayed in 4:3 on a vertical monitor, the sprites appear stretched horizontally. If you go into the operator setup menu's, choose the cross hatch pattern, and readjust your monitor so the squares are, well square, then the graphics look correct, but I'm left with a 16x9 looking aspect ratio (black bars on the left and right for vertical monitor).

Here was the other thread for reference:
http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2541