Soundcard help?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Arvandor

Soundcard help?

Post by Arvandor »

I borked my soundcard in a bad way (physical damage), and would like to just simply switch to using the onboard as a lazy fix. Only, I have no idea how to do so.

Any help would be greatly appretiated.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Go to the control panel. Select sound and audio settings.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Depends on a couple of things :) ... I'll start with the easiest and work backwards.

If the onboard is enabled and drivers for windows installed you can simply change the sound/card/device being used via the control panel:

start>control panel>Sounds and audio devices

[ this may be slightly different depending on your view of the control panel -
eg. start>control panel>Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and audio devices]

In the sounds and audio devices window choose the >audio tab at the top> and change the "default device" from your sound card to your onboard (probably called something like realtek/soundmax etc) >ok

And that should be that - :) ... if not see below:

If there is only your soundcard and not your onboard audio listed under default devices this will mean one of 2 things - either the drivers are not installed for windows and/or the onboard audio is disabled in your bios at startup.

To install drivers use the cd that came with your motherboard/computer - without knowing the exact motherboard I'm afraid I can't advise you where to find them on the internet but they will be there too :)

To check if the bios settings are ok you will need to restart/turn on and typically right at the beginning you will see a little text flash up saying 'press "?" to enter setup/bios/startup' . Typically "?" will be f1, f2 or del.

Depending on your motherboard your settings will be probably found under something like chipset settings/pnp (plug and play settings)/onboard options etc. and the onboard audio should be listed as enabled/disabled within one of these - obviously make sure it is enabled :) and exit AND SAVE bios ...

If you need any more help could you post the motherboard type or failing that just the serial+model of computer if it's like a dell etc and I'm sure I or someone can help you out :)

hope this helps!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

if you uninstall all the drivers/software for your soundcard, you should be able to just hook up to the onboard audio lines and get sound...without a soundcard installed it should default to the onboard automatically
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Thanks, I've got some stuff to play around with =)

I have no idea what kind of motherboard it has. It's a custom rig my cousin built years ago, and sold to me about a year ago (this thing is basically a dinosaur, but it's pretty sweet for how old it is). If the above fixes don't work I'll consult him about what to do.