Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Alluro wrote:Here are the ships I plan to add:
*Gemini Red and Gemini Blue from Gemini Wing
That's just awesome! But will they have the same hitbox as the originals, or will you be more forgiving, i.e. put it on the "body" and not the wings?

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Footage of Level 1: 1942 Midway Islands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JTB5tcSQ8

Much improved video of the almost complete level in the remake. The only things left to do in this level is to program in an boss defeated sequence and tighten up the enemy wave patterns.

New features in this video include:

*Boss programmed in, complete with warning display with the boss name.
*Expanded scoring system that combines those of Raiden Fighters Jet and Cave chaining systems.
*Shadows for all aerial objects (player ships, enemies, items).
*Slaves have been implemented. These are extra small wingmen that add firepower to your arsenal, and serve as temporary shields.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

will the quality of the music be the same as in the orig? if not have you thought of releasing a higher quality music pack after the remake is done. also I've got a song that you could use for a boss if you'd like. the song isn't made by me but is up for use in any shmup as the guy who made it told me.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Will there be TATE?

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

emphatic wrote:Will there be TATE?

Emph
TATE is impossible to do with the way the engine and display is set up. The game will retain its aspect ratio even when maximized, but with black space on the sides.

As for your question about hitboxes, all ships will have a 2x2 pixel hitbox in the center of the ships.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

If you render to a surface and rotate the surface, you could [in theory] have TATE.
This is assuming you have GM registered, of course.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

null1024 wrote:If you render to a surface and rotate the surface, you could [in theory] have TATE.
You know what? That could work. I'd have to change the viewport to 320x240 with this active. I'll try this out further down the road.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Alluro wrote:
null1024 wrote:If you render to a surface and rotate the surface, you could [in theory] have TATE.
You know what? That could work. I'd have to change the viewport to 320x240 with this active. I'll try this out further down the road.
You can also do it without surfaces, by simply using view_angle.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

As I haven't played the original, what kind of music do you have for it? Perhaps you'd be interested in some original music for it?

Emph
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

emphatic wrote:As I haven't played the original, what kind of music do you have for it? Perhaps you'd be interested in some original music for it?

Emph
The game has a mix of totally original music and music from other games. For example, here's the song I use for level 3: http://www.textfiles.com/artscene/music ... p-Mastrix/

worstplayer: Wow, view_angle at 270 degrees works like a charm. Everything's rotated on the side, where all one needs to do is fullscreen it and turn the monitor on its side for full TATE goodness. If there's a way to change the size of the window to accommodate the rotated view, then I can put in a TATE option. I tried view_hview, view_wview, view_wport, view_hport, and window_set_size, but none of them would change the size of the window on-the-fly...without scaling the display.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

You need to restart the room for window_set_region_size and window_set_size to apply.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Alluro wrote:
emphatic wrote:As I haven't played the original, what kind of music do you have for it? Perhaps you'd be interested in some original music for it?

Emph
The game has a mix of totally original music and music from other games. For example, here's the song I use for level 3: http://www.textfiles.com/artscene/music ... p-Mastrix/

worstplayer: Wow, view_angle at 270 degrees works like a charm. Everything's rotated on the side, where all one needs to do is fullscreen it and turn the monitor on its side for full TATE goodness. If there's a way to change the size of the window to accommodate the rotated view, then I can put in a TATE option. I tried view_hview, view_wview, view_wport, view_hport, and window_set_size, but none of them would change the size of the window on-the-fly...without scaling the display.
I know the man that you are using a song from for level 3. wow!!! what a small world this is turning out to be.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Ship select screen prototype:
ImageImageImage
The ship roster will be expanded and the new select screen will reflect that. Additionally, the cameo ships will have game origin and company info, sort of like a mini encyclopedia of SHMUP ships. The four slots on the left on the top row will be for the four original starters ships. They are not done yet.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

will any ships from cave games make it into the game? I think it would be nice to include at least 1 ship from the raiden fighters series.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

lilmanjs wrote:will any ships from cave games make it into the game? I think it would be nice to include at least 1 ship from the raiden fighters series.
A small list of newcomer cameo ships from suggestions I've received:

*Dodonpachi Type-B (Helicopter)
*Scimitar from Varth
*The ship from XOP (by request of Udderdude)
*A Garegga plane
*A Batsugun ship

The best candidates for Raiden Fighters ships would be the Hell Diver and the Ixion.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Some Toaplan ship perhaps? Like the Flying Shark plane (my avatar)?

Emph
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

you already include the ship I want in the game but the ship from the hotdog storm game would be a nice choice for one of the cameo ships.
m0d

Post by m0d »

The answer to the question a chap named James asked me on IRC is 'yes'.

If that seems a bit cryptic, I was asked a question about music provision for this game, with a link to this thread - at the time the site stalled and did not load - James quit the chat before I could answer. I guess he'll find the answer here now :).
Gungriffon Geona

Post by Gungriffon Geona »

you wouldn't happen to need some original artses would you?
FLYING CARS WITH CRAB CLAWS
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Gungriffon Geona wrote:you wouldn't happen to need some original artses would you?
I need good alien spaceships for the futuristic levels: popcorn enemies, large enemies, and so on. I'm using the default ones that come with Multimedia Fusion, and they look really tacky compared to everything else in the game.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Ship selection screen looking good!
And Miyamoto's presence in there makes it even more awesome. 8)

Keep up the good work.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

m0d wrote:The answer to the question a chap named James asked me on IRC is 'yes'.

If that seems a bit cryptic, I was asked a question about music provision for this game, with a link to this thread - at the time the site stalled and did not load - James quit the chat before I could answer. I guess he'll find the answer here now :).
as for the song here's a link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nlw1zufl7ni
this song is supposed to be for a boss. if its not used that would be a shame cause m0d really worked hard on the song.
Gungriffon Geona

Post by Gungriffon Geona »

Alluro wrote:
Gungriffon Geona wrote:you wouldn't happen to need some original artses would you?
I need good alien spaceships for the futuristic levels: popcorn enemies, large enemies, and so on. I'm using the default ones that come with Multimedia Fusion, and they look really tacky compared to everything else in the game.
Gimme some example graphics of what you want and I'll give it a shot.
FLYING CARS WITH CRAB CLAWS
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-oIb9Z03g

This is one of the features I wanted to implement in the original Xeno Fighters EX, but was far too complicated to do so in Multimedia Fusion: a deep scoring system.

This scoring system is a combination of those of four games:
*Raiden Fighters Jet's bonus chaining
*Dodonpachi's chaining system
*Battle Bakraid's multiplier system
*Raiden Fighters 1/2 medal system

Here is a brief description of how chains are formed: Killing certain large enemies and finding secrets will add to your chain. Higher chains give you a higher bonus score. In addition, higher chains give you a score multiplier. A timer is shown when you prolong a chain; having the timer run out will break the chain and reset it to zero once more. The multipliers for chain lengths:
Chain Length...Multiplier
0-1...x1
2-3...x2
4-5...x4
6-8...x8
9-14...x16
15-24...x32
25 and above...x64

This video shows off the newest completed ship: the Judge Spear from Viper Phase 1. Also, the first stage has new large enemies added to break up the monotony of endless waves of lesser small enemies.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

After watching your recent video sparks a few questions:

Will the story elements be added sometime in the future (if they're coming back)?
Also, with the revamped scoring system, does that mean that you're scrapping the end-of-stage bonuses as well? (Only wondering because the stage just ended instead of giving a end stage bonus as with the original XFEX)
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Aru-san wrote:After watching your recent video sparks a few questions:

Will the story elements be added sometime in the future (if they're coming back)?
Also, with the revamped scoring system, does that mean that you're scrapping the end-of-stage bonuses as well? (Only wondering because the stage just ended instead of giving a end stage bonus as with the original XFEX)
The story will still be included. I may try to find a better way instead of a briefing screen like in the original, which disrupts the flow of the game.

With the expanded scoring system, I may just do away with the end-of-level bonuses.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Miyamoto the Dragon is complete!

ImageImageImage

He uses Slaves along with his options. He even has the Shinkuu Giri attack as his Bomber.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Alluro wrote:Miyamoto the Dragon is complete!
He uses Slaves along with his options. He even has the Shinkuu Giri attack as his Bomber.
Looks very cool.
Emph
Aligarion

Post by Aligarion »

Hi Alluro,

It actually looks impressive, you are mastering Game Maker. 8)

I am programming a remake of an Amiga shmup Last-Out but I don't suceed in making enemies sprite flash when they are hit. How did you perform that ?

I am using the following script but it doesn't work... do you see the problem ? The game return the following error in the Draw event : "Unknown variable flash" .

Create :

Code: Select all

flash = false;
Collision :

flash = true;
alarm[0] = 15;

Alarm 0 :

flash = false;

Draw :

draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,-1,x,y,1,1,0,c_white,1);
if flash = true
{
   draw_set_blend_mode(bm_add);
   draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,-1,x,y,1,1,0,c_red,1);
   draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal);
}
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Aligarion wrote:Hi Alluro,

It actually looks impressive, you are mastering Game Maker. 8)

I am programming a remake of an Amiga shmup Last-Out but I don't suceed in making enemies sprite flash when they are hit. How did you perform that ?

I am using the following script but it doesn't work... do you see the problem ? The game return the following error in the Draw event : "Unknown variable flash" .

Create :

flash = false;
Collision :

flash = true;
alarm[0] = 15;

Alarm 0 :

flash = false;

Draw :

draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,-1,x,y,1,1,0,c_white,1);
if flash = true
{
   draw_set_blend_mode(bm_add);
   draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,-1,x,y,1,1,0,c_red,1);
   draw_set_blend_mode(bm_normal);
}
There's no reason why it shouldn't work. Do you have any other code in your game that interacts with flash variable?
Also, Try setting GM to init unknown variables as 0, if that changes anything.