Anyone ever mess with this stick before?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Diebythesword

Anyone ever mess with this stick before?

Post by Diebythesword »

I plan on modding this so I can play it on my PS2, and just wanna know if anyone has tried modding it before or if it looks moddable. Bought it for 4 bucks, I searched around and found out it was for Saturn/PS1 but it definitely doesn't go in my PS1 :cry: If you need to know more or need more pics just let me know! This will be my first stick to mod :P

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

The buttons seem to indicate is a SNES joystick.

"Honest City Boy"? WTF?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

the stick reminds me of a jlw, kinda. i like that round gate. the buttons look like HAPP knock-offs, so i'm guessing the case is nice and deep. looks like a real easy mod, to be honest.

and you say it works with saturn and ps1? the pcb looks like it has a port for different cables, i'm guessing it should of come with a cable for each system that can plug into that socket. pretty neat.

just noticed, that's one weird ass button layout :?
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

Specineff wrote:The buttons seem to indicate is a SNES joystick.

"Honest City Boy"? WTF?
I was hoping it was SNES too, nice name aye? :P
brokenhalo wrote:the stick reminds me of a jlw, kinda. i like that round gate. the buttons look like HAPP knock-offs, so i'm guessing the case is nice and deep. looks like a real easy mod, to be honest.

and you say it works with saturn and ps1? the pcb looks like it has a port for different cables, i'm guessing it should of come with a cable for each system that can plug into that socket. pretty neat.
The case is pretty deep, any other sticks that have tutorials that can help me with this stick? The cable that came with it had 8-pins, maybe Saturn?
D

Post by D »

:lol: Honest, that is the bestesest engrish brand eva, honest
Looks like the Hudson font. Did they just pick up a dictionary and blindfoldedly pick a random word?
City boy is about the gayest model number eva
I was playing with my honest city boy's joy stick; :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
They should make a list of gayest gaming stuff, well actually they shouldn't, but if they persisted to make it, this would take the cake
Reminds me of this Sanford and son episode where Sanford buys a tv from Honest Al's.
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

reading that, seriously made me laugh :lol:
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

Alright, so what do I need exactly? Should I just cut all the wires?
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Diebythesword wrote:Alright, so what do I need exactly? Should I just cut all the wires?
guess i should of asked before. what do you want to do with this stick? just change the pcb or the parts as well?
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

brokenhalo wrote: guess i should of asked before. what do you want to do with this stick? just change the pcb or the parts as well?
Well what I want to do is change the parts, maybe put Sanwa parts in, and make it work with my PS2. Any ideas where to start? I really need some help. :P
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Diebythesword wrote:
brokenhalo wrote: guess i should of asked before. what do you want to do with this stick? just change the pcb or the parts as well?
Well what I want to do is change the parts, maybe put Sanwa parts in, and make it work with my PS2. Any ideas where to start? I really need some help. :P
ok. check out the mayflash tutorial i posted up. you'll be doing the exact same things, just on your stick. and as far as recommended pcb's go, the easiest one to work with hands down is the street fighter anniversary 6-button pad. if you want something a little cheaper and more compatible with adpators, use a ps1 dualshock controller.

mayflash modding thread
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

Cool thanks, I'm gonna be using my PS1 Dualshock.
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

Ok so what do I do with the Dualshock PCB? I just need to know where exactly to put the wires
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

you can find diagrams here. scroll down towards the bottom for a list of pcb diagrams.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

Nice article, is it ok to touch these PCBs or will they fry? Also on Lizardlick when it says "these low-profile buttons are strictly for metal control panels only" can I use them with this stick? The button holes measure about 30mm.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Diebythesword wrote:Nice article, is it ok to touch these PCBs or will they fry? Also on Lizardlick when it says "these low-profile buttons are strictly for metal control panels only" can I use them with this stick? The button holes measure about 30mm.
of course you can touch them. i wouldn't mess with them when they are plugged in, but handling them while soldering them won't hurt them.

as far as buttons, the case looks plenty thin enough for snap in buttons. if the button hole measure 30mm, you are in luck. i thought for sure they'd only be 28mm and you'd have to enlarge the hole. if it's 30mm you are in the clear
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

Ok cool, and I can use the same wires that were originally connected to the Honest City Boy PCB? I appreciate your help :)
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Diebythesword wrote:Ok cool, and I can use the same wires that were originally connected to the Honest City Boy PCB? I appreciate your help :)
sure can, as long as it's long enough and in decent condition. if not, i usually order my wire here at jameco. a 100' roll of 22 awg stranded is only $9.
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

Nice, now I just need to get the buttons and stick, maybe an octagonal plate