PS3 control: sega usb pc pad and negcon

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

PS3 control: sega usb pc pad and negcon

Post by D »

How can a sega usb pc pad be played with ps2 games on the ps3?
It works with ps1 and ps3, but because you have to press the PS button with ps2 games on the ps3 in order to registre the controller this does not work. is there a solution for that? else I might hack a ps3 pad into a original saturn pad.

Also, is it possible to hack ps3 controller into a NEGCON, so you can play with analog negcon steering on games? I wonder about the turn radius of the negcon.

thanks!
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: PS3 control: sega usb pc pad and negcon

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

D wrote:How can a sega usb pc pad be played with ps2 games on the ps3?
It works with ps1 and ps3, but because you have to press the PS button with ps2 games on the ps3 in order to registre the controller this does not work. is there a solution for that? else I might hack a ps3 pad into a original saturn pad.

Also, is it possible to hack ps3 controller into a NEGCON, so you can play with analog negcon steering on games? I wonder about the turn radius of the negcon.

thanks!
For D,

The only PS2 games to take advantage of the PSX NeGcon was Ridge Racer V and Wipeout Fusion.

Sorry about that Sega USB PC pad...I don't have one and can't say if it'd work or not.

No PS3 games take advantage of the NeGcon setup for the time being but that could change if developers decide to implement it. It would have to use such an optional USB powered PSX/PS2 controller to PS3 console adapter though (since there's no built-in PSX/PS2 controller port in the first place for such a NeGcon setup).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
D

Post by D »

hey thanks for the reply, but I really meant mod, so the negcon would have the left and right movement of the left analog stick of the ps3 sixaxis. It should be possible, question is if somebody done done it already. there is offcourse the issue with x-y axis of tha analog stick versus just the x axis of the negcon rotation scheme.

hm, I thought more games would benefit from the negcon. strange world.

And as for the pc usb pad. I'm already really happy it works with ps1 and ps3 games. I had no idea. I'm playing 720p battle fantasia with it and ps1 Ghouls 'n Ghost upscaled. (I had to get a 5M usb extension cable :wink: )
ps1 games look great upscaled to the highest resolution, or did I mention that already, I should post pics to prove this to all non-believers
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Thanks for the tip D. Bought two white Saturn pads recently and they work flawlessly on the XMB and Blu ray. I am just wondering if the Street Fighter IV game uses the 6 button layout like the Saturn games?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
D

Post by D »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Thanks for the tip D. Bought two white Saturn pads recently and they work flawlessly on the XMB and Blu ray. I am just wondering if the Street Fighter IV game uses the 6 button layout like the Saturn games?
I'm sure you will be able to redirect buttons like in any Capcom game.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Are u sure you can't use it on the PS2 stuff? I use a PS2 saturn pad with a converter that does not have a "PS" button.

I have the saturn pad hooked up via a USB converter and when it asks me to press the PS button I press it on the PS3 controller to move on, then when the game comes up the satuirn pad is still in control.... if I remember right the PS3 controller will be signed in as 1B or something like that. I use this method for my PS2 stick also....

Long story short with mine the PS3 controller just winds up being used as a "remote" for entering and exiting the PS3 option screen ect.

This method deffinately works for my PS2 saturn pad and stick with my set up and converter.
ps1 games look great upscaled to the highest resolution, or did I mention that already, I should post pics to prove this to all non-believers
just no scan lines :-(

I like using my XRGB for low res stuff more. I use the PS3 scaler just for 480i content.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
D

Post by D »

Well, I guess we'll never know. The ps2 controller converter for the ps3 was probably created with ps2 games in mind. usb-pads that just happen to work on the ps3 don't.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Well have u tried plugging in the usb saturn pad and then when it gets to the point u have to press the PS button..... just pressing it on you regular controller WHILE the USB controller is plugged in?

my converter is just a ps2 to pc/usb converter it wasn't really MADE for a PS3.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
D

Post by D »

Strider77 wrote:Well have u tried plugging in the usb saturn pad and then when it gets to the point u have to press the PS button..... just pressing it on you regular controller WHILE the USB controller is plugged in?

my converter is just a ps2 to pc/usb converter it wasn't really MADE for a PS3.
What that will do is that will get the regular controller to get registered. not the usb pad. Anything else to try?

So when you do what you described, what the hell is the outcome? do you then have 2 working controllers? the ps2 pad which gets activated by the ps3 pad? so then you have two controllers and the ps2 pad is p1.
They you turn off the ps3 controller and you remain with a p1 ps2 pad?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

just try it to see if it works..... the outcome is the controller winds up being registered as 1 B or something like that instead of the main controller.

I have the USB controller as the main player one and then... I don't know what the PS3 controller becomes really.... it doesn't work except for the PS button. I do know that the controller's assigned number changes to something other than 1.

Yes it does get the regular controller to get registered but it does NOT register it as controller one.
D

Post by D »

So, that was in the manual of how to operate the ps2-to-ps3 adapter?
I tried every which away with the usb saturn pad, even pluged it in second usb port, no dice.

For people lost in the discusion. the usb saturn pad does work with ps3 and ps1 games and will highly likely work with SF4 when it comes out, but not with any ps2 game.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

that's odd..... I would have figured it would work for you as well.

there were no instructions.... I just used a ps2 to usb adapter for PCs. when I plug in my stick or ps2 saturn pad I just used it to boot the game and when the system promted me to press the PS button I just pressed it on a wireless controller and then had no issues.

have you tried assigning a PS3 controller to be controller 4 then trying the method I mentioned?
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

I can confirm that Strider77's method works for me as well.
I use my custom CP (hacked PSX controller pcb) hooked on a generic PS2 to usb converter for PC.

Dunno if it helps but try this:
Make sure you connect your usb adapter in usb port 1 on your PS3,
Go to Settings -> Accessory Settings and reassign your wireless PS3 controller to number 2.
Start a PS2 game & see if it works.
D

Post by D »

ZOM wrote:I can confirm that Strider77's method works for me as well.
I use my custom CP (hacked PSX controller pcb) hooked on a generic PS2 to usb converter for PC.

Dunno if it helps but try this:
Make sure you connect your usb adapter in usb port 1 on your PS3,
Go to Settings -> Accessory Settings and reassign your wireless PS3 controller to number 2.
Start a PS2 game & see if it works.
OK, but if I assign my ps3 controller to port number 2 and start a ps2 game, then the controller will be shut down. I think that the moment I press the PS button, then the controller will be turned on and it will be controller 1 and the usb saturn pad is not seen at all. Nevetheless these replies have once again given me hope that somehow someway something can be done. It would be so super awesome if it would be possible.