ghetto case supergun

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Drakon

ghetto case supergun

Post by Drakon »

I built a supergun for roughly 200$ canadian. That 200$ includes the entire supergun, all cables, all casing, all controllers, all parts. It even includes the price of the custom cases I built for my pcbs

Here's the finished version of the supergun hooked into my neo geo

basic jamma buttons hook up through sega genesis ports. Extended buttons I wired into usb ports. Audio I rigged into stereo headphone jacks. I also set up the sound circuits so they work on my amp and speakers (nice and loud yay). As you can see the neo geo case has a stereo sound plug on it because I get stereo sound out of headphone pins from my mvs board.

Here's the controllers I'm using on it

the limited street fighter stick I swapped out the joystick with one from a x-arcade because it has a shorter throw.

Here's the rgb to s-video encoding part of it. I used scart parts for it so I can also use it on my consoles like my megadrive and my super famicom. I rigged the power to the encoder board into the same psu that powers the supergun.

The encoder board itself is just one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcade-RGB-CGA-to-T ... 240%3A1318

I modded the s-video cord hooked into it to fix the oversaturated colours.

Here's a closeup of what's going on inside the jamma connector box

Modified vogatek mark 1 with all the bells and whistles. Soldered usb ports onto the 4th neo geo button pins. And also soldered a spare button that lets me get into the bios menu. Did a couple of other modifications to fix video sync and audio
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

you love the tupperware :wink:

if you are gonna enclose your PCB's i would recommend putting a fan in there...they are meant to have open air flow.....they might overheat otherwise.....

better safe than sorry in my book....just hack one of the lines of the powersupply to power a fan....should be simple enough right

nice work tho.....

now you are truly ready for the neo drift out haxxor edition
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

jonny5 wrote:you love the tupperware :wink:

if you are gonna enclose your PCB's i would recommend putting a fan in there...they are meant to have open air flow.....they might overheat otherwise.....

better safe than sorry in my book....just hack one of the lines of the powersupply to power a fan....should be simple enough right

nice work tho.....

now you are truly ready for the neo drift out haxxor edition
way ahead of you there

I also bolted the pcbs onto the cases using pcb feet. You can turn them upside down, shake them around, heck, even throw them, and the pcb won't go anywhere. Totally safe to transport or put on a shelf when you feel like playing another pcb. You could even spill a drink on this thing and it's very unlikely that anything bad will happen.

*edit* video that shows a bit of in in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68FfmHZ7 ... annel_page

video where you can actually hear it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_yNVSPg ... annel_page
TigerCraneFist

Post by TigerCraneFist »

you chimed in on my sale thread saying my Impress cabinet was priced *too high*.....

And after looking at this I see why, congrats on building yourself something cheap.

Myself though, I would rather spend a little more money and have something that actually compliments a room and looks cool rather then that disheveled and unsightly mess.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

TigerCraneFist wrote:you chimed in on my sale thread saying my Impress cabinet was priced *too high*.....

And after looking at this I see why, congrats on building yourself something cheap.

Myself though, I would rather spend a little more money and have something that actually compliments a room and looks cool rather then that disheveled and unsightly mess.
well, someone's a little bitter. happy new year to you too
TigerCraneFist

Post by TigerCraneFist »

what do I have to be bitter about? I sold the cabinet despite your estimation of my inaccurate pricing.

I just think its lame that you felt inclined to give your opinion when no one asked... now you post this thread with the underline being how cheaply you made it. So now Im giving my opinion even though no one asked.... its just too ironic not to.

yeah, have a good new year too.... be safe and drink gustily.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

well glad you're doing the stuff that you hate so much. You should seriously grow up
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Doesn't look like much, but it's pretty cool from an engineering standpoint. :D
TigerCraneFist

Post by TigerCraneFist »

wow. Dont you have anything better to do then to linger around an internet forum waiting for a reply from me? You should get a life.

I was biting my tongue but I can tell you are a petulant little turd... so why bother?

I watched your little youtube video for all of 5 seconds before nearly vomiting from the awful jungle/trance/garbage music you were playing over it. To make it even worse, the music is likely yours which makes it all the more lame because your attempt at showing off was so utterly and poorly contrived. Nice opening shot of the closed door though, to be honest I was biting my nails with anticipation wondering what was behind it, and then you opened it... and all that was behind the door was a tupperware collection like my 89 year old gradmas. Good show sir.

Dont even reply dude.... Im off to hang out with real people.... enjoy hanging out on the internet waiting for another reply that wont come.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

TigerCraneFist wrote:wow. Dont you have anything better to do then to linger around an internet forum waiting for a reply from me? You should get a life.

I was biting my tongue but I can tell you are a petulant little turd... so why bother?

I watched your little youtube video for all of 5 seconds before nearly vomiting from the awful jungle/trance/garbage music you were playing over it. To make it even worse, the music is likely yours which makes it all the more lame because your attempt at showing off was so utterly and poorly contrived. Nice opening shot of the closed door though, to be honest I was biting my nails with anticipation wondering what was behind it, and then you opened it... and all that was behind the door was a tupperware collection like my 89 year old gradmas. Good show sir.

Dont even reply dude.... Im off to hang out with real people.... enjoy hanging out on the internet waiting for another reply that wont come.
actually I'm playing games with a friend and reply when he takes a turn. Don't you have anything better to do? As I said before, you really need to mature. So please go and find something more useful to do with your time.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Those Tupperware/Rubbermaid produced storage cases are quite durable and can take a licking. I've seen a few pics of custom-made Superguns going the Tupperware/Rubbermaid route. They work just fine just like any other Supergun encased in a plastic or metal box enclosure setup. ^_~

A Matt Ross made Supergun is cool to own/play on. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

The setup isn't anywhere near as ugly as this thread has gotten.

Everything looks pretty secure there. Don't have to worry about the cat peeing on it, or little brother/sister breaking it.

Any plans to do an all in one supergun? Maybe with and internal psu? I'm sure you could remove the case from the psu and put it in a nice project box of some kind. Or you could get an arcade psu for really cheap.
=/
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Nope this's the only supergun I'm building. It's a little bigger than it has to be but it really doesn't use up that much space. The whole purpose of this project was to build something that plays as close to the arcade as possible for as little money and effort as possible. If I had built something with the intent of selling it I would have made it completely differently.
Low.Blow

Post by Low.Blow »

Can't tupperware build up static charge? ESD could fry your boards...
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

the pcbs are mounted on plastic pcb feet. They're perfectly safe
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I don't see how the feet really prevent ESD. It's not terribly difficult for static charges to get bigger than the breakdown voltage of a small air gap.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

well I've played my games over and over for hours and hours and nothing fried or gained any static electricity