good stick for fighting games?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Drakon

good stick for fighting games?

Post by Drakon »

Hey I recently completed building a cheap supergun. One of my two arcade sticks has a terrible directional stick. I was wondering, where can I buy a good replacement stick that's great for fighting games? Also I want to get a bat stick, not a japanese type. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, are happ sticks any good?
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

edit: thought you meant a whole new retail stick, woops.

Lizard Lick is a great place to buy a replacement stick.

Sanwa JLF is the most popular. But if you live and breath mvc2 then you might prefer Happ, or at least a circular or octogonal game on the JLF
Last edited by KBZ on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
=/
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Kingbuzzo wrote:what's your budget?
smeh, whatever. I got most of my crap for less than what it's worth. The stick I'm using now it just feels like the throw is too big. So basically to do the movements to get super moves off takes too long
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

is this a custom stick? or something retail. You'd have to make sure that you can properly mount the stick or plate
=/
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

it's retail. Finding a way to mount it shouldn't be hard
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

if you are talking about one of your x-arcades i think a happ competition should be a straight swap

should notice a marked difference, and they are much better for fighting games...especially for you who isnt used to balltops

they are like 8 bux from lizard lick...they are what i used on both mame cabs i just finished....not bad..and its what most western casual players would be used too

but if you do go the japanese route, go with sanwa....way better for fighters
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

the sanwa jlf is hands down the preferred stick for fighters (with the odd exception of mvc2). and you can get a bat top for jlf.

but the main question is what kind of case are you using? if it's an x-arcade case, then you'll have a hard time mounting a jlf without breaking out the router. you'll probably want an iL stick, not a happ. the new happ sticks are made in china and everyone seems to hate them. the iL sticks are the old style happs that everyone loves.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

thanks everyone for the VERY helpful input. I wound up just swapping the sticks from two of my arcade joysticks. The big throw one works fine for 3rd strike so I just stuck it in my 3rd strike stick. And now both supergun sticks happily work just great with sf2. But if I ever feel like upgrading any of my sticks I atleast now know what to get.