Help making stick for Ms Pac-man & Donkey Kong

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

Help making stick for Ms Pac-man & Donkey Kong

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

Just recently ive been getting into really old retro games , mainly ms pacman and donkey kong , but ive noticed playing on a normal pad or stick is difficult so id like to make a proper stick for these games , same as you would use in the arcade , i take it id need a proper 4 way stick , also id like to use it on 360 and normal xbox so might have to make up 2 , i was thinking of using a dremcast stick for my normal xbox and a magic box and maybe one of those hori sticks for 360 like this

but im not sure how difficult these are to mod , ive modded a few DC sticks before with JLF sticks and sanwa buttons but i dont know what spares to use for these old games and whether its pos to do.

Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

these are a bit of a PITA to mod, but you will probably be ok with it if you've done modwork. the pcb situation is a bit funky and you'll have to do some dremeling for stick/button mounting. oh, and unless you use the stock shaft assembly a sanwa jlf is slightly too big. you can drill a small hole in the bottom so that the shaft has clearance if you want to ( i highly recommend it. the stock shaft sits too low for me.)

and i don't really have any experience with one, but a lot of people like the sanwa jlw for 4-way games. the jlf won't work because even with the gate set to 4 way you can still hit diagonals. the jlw fixes this problem.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

brokenhalo wrote:these are a bit of a PITA to mod, but you will probably be ok with it if you've done modwork. the pcb situation is a bit funky and you'll have to do some dremeling for stick/button mounting. oh, and unless you use the stock shaft assembly a sanwa jlf is slightly too big. you can drill a small hole in the bottom so that the shaft has clearance if you want to ( i highly recommend it. the stock shaft sits too low for me.)

and i don't really have any experience with one, but a lot of people like the sanwa jlw for 4-way games. the jlf won't work because even with the gate set to 4 way you can still hit diagonals. the jlw fixes this problem.
ahh ok thanks :)
YouTube
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Trevor spencer wrote:
brokenhalo wrote:these are a bit of a PITA to mod, but you will probably be ok with it if you've done modwork. the pcb situation is a bit funky and you'll have to do some dremeling for stick/button mounting. oh, and unless you use the stock shaft assembly a sanwa jlf is slightly too big. you can drill a small hole in the bottom so that the shaft has clearance if you want to ( i highly recommend it. the stock shaft sits too low for me.)

ahh ok thanks :)
does the JLW mount in the same way as a JLF , what i mean is , is it identical to look at

Thanks
YouTube
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

from the players perspective, they look about the same other than the larger dust washer. everything under the control panel looks totally different.

the diagram on the sanwa catalog unfortunately doesn't give measurements on that mounting plate, but i would imagine you could fit it in most sticks that would accomadate a jlf with some dremeling. i'm sure either chad at lizardlick or whomever you buy your arcade parts from could email you a spec sheet with measurements.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

hmm , just wondering if i could fit that in a DC stick also im not sure i could fit a 360 pad PCB in there too , not sure if theres enough room , i remember fixing the JLF by 4 bolts and not using a mounting plate , dosnt look like thats pos with that stick :(
YouTube
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

YouTube
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

that's a good mod job on the dc stick.

as for the jlw, it looks like you might be able to scrap the metal plate (or at the very least cut it down). you can run screws through the holes in the microswitches to mount it in that case. the black body that houses the microswitches measures 65mm by 65mm. looks pretty close to the jlf dimensions actually.

you can download the sanwa parts catalog from http://www.akihabarashop.jp/developments/index.php it's in the FAQ section. there's some pretty detailed drawings of most of their parts. it's a great reference.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

hi , ive been having a good think about what to do and im thinking of putting a LS-32 stick in my HRAP1 PS2 , what are these sticks like in 4 way op compared to the JLF , also would you know if its pos to dual PCB my HRAP 1 with a 360 pad PCB

Thanks
YouTube
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

looks like you got a response in your srk thread. the ls-32 gate does 4 way properly, but it's definitely a different feel than a jlf stick. as far as dual pcb setups, just make sure you use a common ground 360 controller. you'll find plenty of info about this on srk as well.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

brokenhalo wrote:looks like you got a response in your srk thread. the ls-32 gate does 4 way properly, but it's definitely a different feel than a jlf stick. as far as dual pcb setups, just make sure you use a common ground 360 controller. you'll find plenty of info about this on srk as well.
ok thank you , u have been a great help :)
YouTube
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

i do what i can :wink: