PCBs for a vert monitor

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dewclaw

PCBs for a vert monitor

Post by Dewclaw »

I was messing around with my cab, trying to fix the color problem with the monitor, when I saw that the inside would also accomodate a vertical monitor. So, after nearly being electrocuted discharging it and nearly losing a couple fingers handling the 100 lb son of a bitch, I got the monitor turned.

I bought a Guwange PCB off of Kristian Meller from Neogeo.com(I forget his username on here), but I wanted to know what other games to be on the lookout for to use with my newly vertical setup. Cave games are obvious, are there any other decent shmups pcbs? For that matter, are there any non-shmups that use a vertical monitor besides the Donkey Kong games?
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

1943?
The Captain.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Cyvern
Vasara
Time Pilot
Juno First
Raiden 1/2/Fighters/Fighters 2/Fighters Jet
Dragon Blaze
Battle Bakraid
Cybattler

Want me to go on? :lol:
Blow up self to involve enemies.
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

I knew all them... I was just trying to be dramatic. :lol:
The Captain.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

There are tons... probably more than Horizontal. All the Cave ones minus a Progear and most of the Toaplan ones are a great start.
Naiera

Re: PCBs for a vert monitor

Post by Naiera »

Dewclaw wrote: I bought a Guwange PCB off of Kristian Meller from Neogeo.com(I forget his username on here)
*Raises hand* ;)

Just get the Cave games, all other games are crap in comparison :twisted:

I'd get ESP RA.DE. next. Definitely my favourite.
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

Second opinion: Agreed. :D
The Captain.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Naiera wrote:
Dewclaw wrote: I bought a Guwange PCB off of Kristian Meller from Neogeo.com(I forget his username on here)
*Raises hand* ;)

Just dont get the Cave games, all other games are amazing in comparison :twisted:
My Trying Not To
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

Naiera wrote:
Dewclaw wrote: I'd get ESP RA.DE. next. Definitely my favourite.
My second fave, first being Batrider.
Ord

Post by Ord »

You can't go wrong with a couple of Raizing games. Armed Police Batrider & Battle Bakraid are a good start as is Dimahoo, and they're quite cheap too.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Oops, forgot I posted this thread. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I might go hunting for some Raizing games first, since "cheap" is definately my main motivator after dropping so much on Guwange. I really wanna get a collection of vert games going since after all the trouble it was to rotate my monitor I think its gonna STAY rotated :P Time Pilots sounds familiar, wasn't that the old SNK deal where you controlled the guys on the ground and they let out this horrifying digitized scream when they died? I think it controlled with a spinner, wish I had one.

Now I just need to find a 19" monitor for an old stand up cab in the garage and I'll have the best of both worlds.
japtor

Post by japtor »

time pilot is completely different from what you described. its a simple game, completely open in every direction (controlled by joystick, point to whatever direction you want to fly), just shoot enemies up to a certain quota, then a special new one shows up, and you warp to a newer time period.

as for others, theres a shitload. my main problem is i want some puzzle games, but most are horizontal. there needs to be a vert mr driller dammit! my only non shooter pcb is gunbarich. id get pacman and some other older games, but its sometimes hard to find them for cheap and in good condition. i just search ebay for 'jamma' or 'jamma pcb' or something every once in a while and look through there. theres a few random vert games that go for cheap, i think ring king is one. been wanting a few of those, at least ring king cause i had that on nes and it was decent fun.
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

I think you may be referring to Ghost Pilots.
The Captain.
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Oh, it was Time SOLDIERS that I was thinkin of. Yeah, I was also wondering about non-shmup games, but the only ones that come to mind are the really old ones. You're right Japtor, you'd think Mr. Driller would be perfect for vertical if it weren't for all the info on the right side of the screen(I'm sure they could compact it though)
japtor

Post by japtor »

Dewclaw wrote:Oh, it was Time SOLDIERS that I was thinkin of. Yeah, I was also wondering about non-shmup games, but the only ones that come to mind are the really old ones. You're right Japtor, you'd think Mr. Driller would be perfect for vertical if it weren't for all the info on the right side of the screen(I'm sure they could compact it though)
drill spirits (the ds driller) is pretty much tate and it works fine. you can see quite a ways up. bottom screen is pretty much what driller normally is, top screen just adds on to that. it works well to see stuff falling from high above.
dpful

Post by dpful »

there's lots of great Raidens and Shienryu is great.
The Strikers 1945 series is fantastic, too.