GD: TF VI

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Guardians Knight

GD: TF VI

Post by Guardians Knight »

Anyone worked out the scoring mechanics? im a little confused after a few plays, once i got to lvl 2 with a score lower than i got when i died at the boss on lvl 1, does using different weapons make a difference, or other tactics?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

The majority of points comes from fast kills. Killing certain enemies (bigger normal ones and bosses) quickly multiplies their base score up to 16x. Same as in TFV.

You can squeeze some minor points out of the Overweapon stock. When you've already filled all six OW attacks every "soul" collected afterwards gives you a 100 points. But since you'll want to use OW in order to get fast kills on bosses you probably won't see much use for this.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Trying to rack up some points myself for this game. Hopefully people will get this soon and add in some competition :)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Looks like I was wrong about the lack of extend bonuses in this game. There is one, but only in Maniac Mode. Each remaining extend is worth 1 million pts. 8 total extends possible (at default settings) means a max bonus of 8 million upon clearing the game (the 2 that are granted by default plus 6 pick-ups throughout the stages).

So it certainly does pay to No Miss Maniac mode. The lack of score from fewer OW 16x destruction bonuses is more than made up by the extend bonus.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

ahh thanks Ghegs,

btw, how do i get the additional ships on? just run thru the game on any difficulty using whatever amount of continues?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Guardians Knight wrote:ahh thanks Ghegs,

btw, how do i get the additional ships on? just run thru the game on any difficulty using whatever amount of continues?
Beat Normal or higher using the Phoenix (I believe you can credit feed.. not that you should need to on Normal) to unlock the Rynex R. Beat Normal or higher using the Rynex R (I'm not sure if you can continue) to unlock the Syrinx.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

A green crosshair will apear over enemies that gives you multipliers, so that's an easy way to find out which ones you need to kill fast.

Also, you can credit feed to unlock the other ships.

If by mission briefings you mean the reports shown on the main screen, you need to beat the game with every ship on every difficulty level to unlock all 15 of them.

So, beating the game on Kids, Easy, Normal, Hard and Maniac with Phoenix ship will unlock reports 1 to 5, respectively. Beating the game in that order with Rynex will unlock reports 6 to 10, and with Syrinx, reports 11 to 15. You can credit feed.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Okay, beating the game on Hard (or higher?) will unlock Time Attack mode, which is a boss rush. Once you beat that, you get Neo Style mode.

Neo Style is just the normal game with a minor change: all your weapons will have a specific color (shown as a colored hexagon around your weapon on the upper left), and some enemies will shoot colored bullets. These bullets are indestructible unless you use the weapon with the same color.

So, the red weapon will destroy red bullets, purple weapon will destroy purple bullets, and so on. The last boss likes to shoot many different colored bullets, so you'll have to switch weapons a bit when fighting him.

To be honest, this mode is really nothing special :|
mastermx wrote:
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Kiken wrote:Looks like I was wrong about the lack of extend bonuses in this game. There is one, but only in Maniac Mode. Each remaining extend is worth 1 million pts. 8 total extends possible (at default settings) means a max bonus of 8 million upon clearing the game (the 2 that are granted by default plus 6 pick-ups throughout the stages).

So it certainly does pay to No Miss Maniac mode. The lack of score from fewer OW 16x destruction bonuses is more than made up by the extend bonus.
Update:

All difficulties grant an extend bonus:
Kids: 100 pts per remaining extend
Easy: 1000 pts per remaining extend
Normal: 10,000 pts per remaining extend
Hard: 100,000 pts per remaining extend
Maniac: 1,000,000 pts per remaining extend
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

One thing that should be mentioned, you don't have to fly near the green orbs to collect them. Simply stop firing for a brief moment and any on-screen will be sucked into your ship.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

There is a stage end bonus: each full Over Weapon slot is worth 100,000 pts.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Kiken wrote:There is a stage end bonus: each full Over Weapon slot is worth 100,000 pts.
Good find!

I wonder if this applies to every difficulty?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

That's a huge bonus. So you need to kill bosses fast AND keep your OWs.

Glad to see they thought of something to stop OW abuse.
mastermx wrote:
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Kiken wrote:
Beat Normal or higher using the Phoenix (I believe you can credit feed.. not that you should need to on Normal) to unlock the Rynex R. Beat Normal or higher using the Rynex R (I'm not sure if you can continue) to unlock the Syrinx.
I just cleared Normal with Rynex but it didn't unlock Syrinx-any suggestions?
btw,I'm really getting to like this game now except for the utterly rubbish bosses...
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

mjclark wrote: I just cleared Normal with Rynex but it didn't unlock Syrinx-any suggestions?
btw,I'm really getting to like this game now except for the utterly rubbish bosses...
Did you use a continue?

I first 1CC'd Normal with Phoenix, got Rynex, 1CC'd normal with it and...puff got Syrinx.

But now that you're already the second person in this thread not getting Syrinx after beating normal with Rynex-R,
I'm not totally sure if there are other requirements...
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Yes I did use a continue :oops:
Rynex was unlocked using a continue too though and on another thread someone says they unlocked both ships using continues.
Maybe it takes two successive clears,the first with Phoenix and the second with Rynex.
More research needed...
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I used multiple credits with Phoenix and it unlocked Rynex. Then I 2cc'd with Rynex and it unlocked Syrinx. Both were on normal difficulty.

Dunno why people are having trouble with this.
mastermx wrote:
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Ruldra wrote:I used multiple credits with Phoenix and it unlocked Rynex. Then I 2cc'd with Rynex and it unlocked Syrinx. Both were on normal difficulty.

Dunno why people are having trouble with this.
OK-problem solved.I'd only cleared with Phoenix on Kids (ooops!).As soon as I cleared with Phoenix on Normal (having previously cleared with Rynex-R on Normal) then Syrinx appeared.Another "Mystery Of The Easily Explained"...
...While we're on the subject,what's the best strategy for destroying the twin mid-bosses just before the Orn Emperor?They give me pesky trouble whatever ship I'm using.
And has anyone else noticed that in Battleship stage just before the battleship leaves and the mid-boss appears, you can actually fly up and hide inside the battleship?
In spite of my initial misgivings about TFVI,now Rynex and Syrinx are available I'm really starting to enjoy this game :D
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

mjclark wrote: ...While we're on the subject,what's the best strategy for destroying the twin mid-bosses just before the Orn Emperor?They give me pesky trouble whatever ship I'm using.
Just place your ship in the middle of the two & Over Weapon any rear firing weapon; as soon as the OW ends, tap down/up according to the green missile stream they fire on you... they go down rather quick.
mjclark wrote:And has anyone else noticed that in Battleship stage just before the battleship leaves and the mid-boss appears, you can actually fly up and hide inside the battleship?
Heh funny, I think I'll try this next playthrough.
fireleo4

Stage 5 - Title Screens from TF3,4,5 discovered :-)

Post by fireleo4 »

Hi Thunderfans,

has anybody noticed that the Titlescreens from Thunderforce 3,4 and 5 are "hidden" in the Bossbattle against Styx,Rynex and Gauntlet in Stage 5? Okay, maybe not really hidden, but when the "Styx" Fighter is put together and ready to attack you , the camera moves the Styx exactly in the same position (angle) as in the TF3 titlescreen. The same for Rynex and Gauntlet. It´s a nice ode to the old TF Games.

Also there is a hidden 1up in the Junge Stage placed on a rooftop.

I really like the game very much. Each Ship feels so unique, but i like the challenge with Rynex most.

They have to to a sequel to this game, because i´m infected again with the Thunderforce virus.
fireleo4 - blast off´n score!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I haven't put much playtime in yet, but on my first few runs I was having trouble picking the right weapon for stage 6. There's so much going on that using Hunter seems natural, but it's rather weak and doesn't do much damage. Freerange feels awkward, because there's not much room to maneuver sometimes. I really miss my Phoenix's super-powerful Wave in this level.

Any hints?
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^with Rynex I use a combination of blade & free range on that stage, i.e. take out front enemies with blade &
then switch to free range for the ships following you.If things get hairy(on maniac it can get quite narrow in there)
I suggest Hunter OW, but don't overdo it if you want to kill the next bosses fast.
Makoto Sei

Post by Makoto Sei »

fireleo4 wrote: They have to to a sequel to this game, because i´m infected again with the Thunderforce virus.
I believe it will. Tecnosoft or SEGA owe us next TF by putting "The Legend of Wing to be Continued" on the last part of "Good Ending"
Herr Schatten wrote: I haven't put much playtime in yet, but on my first few runs I was having trouble picking the right weapon for stage 6. There's so much going on that using Hunter seems natural, but it's rather weak and doesn't do much damage. Freerange feels awkward, because there's not much room to maneuver sometimes. I really miss my Phoenix's super-powerful Wave in this level.

Any hints?
to be honest, despite that our weapon could be lost upon our death, using Rynex eventhough on Maniac difficulty level are become acceptable. I`m using rynex`s freerange there. Still have to find appropriate weapon when using Syrinx.
Sturmvogel Prime

Re: GD: TF VI

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

How the a.-- i can enter in the rankings?, everytime i beat the game i can't enter my name on the high scores, anyone had this problem???
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I think you have to use full default settings and play on one credit only, but you can change the difficulty.
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Smraedis wrote:I think you have to use full default settings and play on one credit only, but you can change the difficulty.
I increased the number of lives and i forgot the default number :(
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
ThunderForce 222

Re:

Post by ThunderForce 222 »

Makoto Sei wrote:
fireleo4 wrote: They have to to a sequel to this game, because i´m infected again with the Thunderforce virus.
I believe it will. Tecnosoft or SEGA owe us next TF by putting "The Legend of Wing to be Continued" on the last part of "Good Ending"
Herr Schatten wrote: I haven't put much playtime in yet, but on my first few runs I was having trouble picking the right weapon for stage 6. There's so much going on that using Hunter seems natural, but it's rather weak and doesn't do much damage. Freerange feels awkward, because there's not much room to maneuver sometimes. I really miss my Phoenix's super-powerful Wave in this level.

Any hints?
to be honest, despite that our weapon could be lost upon our death, using Rynex eventhough on Maniac difficulty level are become acceptable. I`m using rynex`s freerange there. Still have to find appropriate weapon when using Syrinx.
I hope you find these useful...http://youtu.be/EHEAfEqrtTk
http://youtu.be/t9TdhVWtvG8
"AREA GUARD NAME, GUARDIANS KNIGHT--SUB-NAME--"FOR WHOM IS THE SWORD DRAWN?!"
ThunderForce 222

Re:

Post by ThunderForce 222 »

Makoto Sei wrote:

Any hints?
Here are the rest...http://youtu.be/MBJDnPb6LCk http://youtu.be/1t6XLOSHmAo
"AREA GUARD NAME, GUARDIANS KNIGHT--SUB-NAME--"FOR WHOM IS THE SWORD DRAWN?!"