Droid Assault. Paradroid clone.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
320x240

Droid Assault. Paradroid clone.

Post by 320x240 »

Developer Puppygames have released a Paradroid clone/homage called Droid Assault. Paradroid is not exactly my favourite game but I downloaded the demo and played the first few levels. I think we ought to support indie developers that concentrate on shmups. The games are available for Mac and Linux too. There's also an online high-score list.

Once you get over the typical 'casual game' presentation you'll find that this game is actually quite hardcore; in a retro sense. Gameplay is fast but controllable and thight. The action heats up at level 5, where you have to start thinking strategically just to survive. I never liked Paradroid but I do like tank shmups and I'd say this plays a lot like one, and a good one at that. Even the use of the mouse for aiming 'works'. I guess this setup have become the norm for arena shmups now.

The games homepage:
http://www.puppygames.net/droid-assault/

The developers homepage:
http://www.puppygames.net/

I recommend Titan Attacks, which is a fun and (once again) thight Space Invaders/Galaga clone. It's far, far better than most single screen shmups you will find on portals.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Played the demo, loved it, and bought the full game.
It has a nice and very challenging risk and reward system because contrary to most arena shooters you're constantly forced to decide whether to blast or recruit. Between levels you see your army of killerbots lined up, blinking, and making weird r2d2 style noises -very rewarding :D
The slightly eerie ambient tracks are pretty cool too.
Definitely worth the money.
Btw, since the original Paradroid is quite different I really wouldn't call this a clone...more like an arcade style remake.