Shmup Pixel Craft Generator - for making great pixel ships!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Adigun A. Polack

Shmup Pixel Craft Generator - for making great pixel ships!

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

Hello to you all once again, and I got something truly wonderful for you in helping you create your next great shmup indeed — especially for retro-based shmup fans as well!! :idea: ! This work that I have just created this week is entitled Shmup Pixel Craft Generator, which is definitely the one that can actually generate up to millions upon millions of custom-made ships as well as let you save custom sprite sheets of them, just to really help you get started in your 2d shmup developing indeed. Take a look:

...plus it even lets you preview the transparency color before saving to a .BMP file:

With this interesting utility that was created using a programming tool called FreeBASIC (http://www.freebasic.net), users can scale their pixel craft squadrons up and down, creating forth bullets, missiles, options, and perhaps even more — as well as generate their own dream team of ships, too!! I am keeping the maximum size of each sprite to almost 20x20 pixels because I just wanted to preserve the main look of the shmup in as pure a way as ever... that is all. ;)

Inspired by Dave Bollinger’s outstanding tutorial on how Pixel Spaceships were first made (found right here, please!), I created and programmed on the computer my own original custom algorithm in making the magic happen in my program. Just so you know. 8)=b !

You can download the current version of my Shmup Pixel Craft Generator right here:
...and get going!! :D

Thank you all so very much for your time here, and be seeing you with your input on this program indeed!!!
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

That's pretty awesome.

May i ask how does it work? I mean, how does it generate all those cool shapes?

EDIT: Read the link, and WOW, i never thought about that. Very interesting concept.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

very cool
serprex

Post by serprex »

I've always been a fan of procedural content, though how unprocedural this looks is nice
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I really liked the concept, so I finished up a generator of my own last week:

I wanted "seams" - little zig-zaggy lines on the inside of the ships (you can see some of the betterish results of that algorithm above) but decided it made the ships just look worse overall. Less pure.

There's also a wall of text I wrote about my method, if anyone wants to read it and become even more bored.