Treasure: New DS Game Countdown: Bangai-O Spirits

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

spadgy wrote:Right - I'm not one for continually pointing people to my work, but if you're in the UK I'd love some feedback on my review of Bangai-O Spiritis that hits newsagents this Sunday.
Naah dude if It reads anything like my review of GTA4 in the papers I will give it a miss :lol: ROTFL
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

First, a quick comment on Bangai-O. It's the most freaking awesome game on DS.

Then, to show my love and appreciation, a stage I did based on Turrican:

Shoot or Die!!

http://www.lacasinadeiboschi.it/ds/shootordie.wav

Enjoy! :o
Last edited by Turrican on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
MathU

Post by MathU »

I'm having quite a lot of trouble getting into this game, personally. I beat the Tutorial stages and a few of the Treasure's Best, then went right back to the awesome that is Space Invaders Extreme.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

MathU wrote:I'm having quite a lot of trouble getting into this game, personally. I beat the Tutorial stages and a few of the Treasure's Best, then went right back to the awesome that is Space Invaders Extreme.
Just like Masato, ready to resell the game :wink:
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

Beat your stage, Turrican (in a pitiful 4:03). Destroy all of those enemies. :shock: Liked it, though. Challenging and an actual stage ("Treasure's Best" lol)!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Rob wrote:Beat your stage, Turrican (in a pitiful 4:03). Destroy all of those enemies. :shock: Liked it, though. Challenging and an actual stage ("Treasure's Best" lol)!
Ahh awesome, finally some feedback! Glad you liked it! Credit to stage design goes to Manfred Trenz of course :)

I have done another two stages inspired to Turrican, but I am out of webspace to upload them - someone wants the .wav and can post them somewhere?
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

Frederik

Post by Frederik »

I´ll try your stage in a few minutes and give you feedback when/if I beat it :wink:

Btw, those Treasure contest stages are pretty shitty IMHO. Mostly those annoying puzzle/crate-pushing type ones, and some self-solving chain-reaction stages that don´t work - which I guess is because timing differences between the JPN and the US version that breaks the pace. So it seems that the stages are not 100% compatible between the releases, which is a bit of a shame.

EDIT: The sound load goes up to 99% and then fails. I have no idea what´s up with that :?
Last edited by Frederik on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Thanks! Here they are:

Heaven Stairway:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gemyyekwx0d

Descent to Hell:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zlpkmvdb0nm
Last edited by Turrican on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Frederik wrote:EDIT: The sound load goes up to 99% and then fails. I have no idea what´s up with that :?
try some foam / cotton on your earphones. It's a pain to use this soundload feature, I know. :(
X - P - B
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Okay, I don´t have these foam covers for my earbuds, but I have some cotton wool, maybe that´ll help. I got the other two files and "Stairway" keeps loading till 99% percent too while "Descent" doesn´t load at all. I just don´t get why it fails on NINETY-NINE percent so often :evil:
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I'm sorry, they are quite big stages, but I recorded them with the audio jack and a couple of friends were able to download them, BrianC too. So the files are okay. I created them with my EU Bangai-O.

P.S. hey Frederik what happened to jurk?
X - P - B
Impervious

Post by Impervious »

bangai-o map editor :D

yay.

i was instantly hooked, and it took me two days to compleat the game. i'm still playing it, though, lol.
G. Pepper: Good luck Star Fox!
Fox: I'll do my best! Andross won't have his way with me!
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Turrican wrote: P.S. hey Frederik what happened to jurk?
I dropped it because it didn´t like it anymore :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Frederik wrote:Btw, those Treasure contest stages are pretty shitty IMHO. Mostly those annoying puzzle/crate-pushing type ones,
Agreed.

Spent a few hours messing around with level editor last night (sooo fun).
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I got Shoot or Die and Descent into Hell to work. Turrican made some really nice levels. Shoot or die seems to be really good for time attack. Your little ant farm kicked my butt. Descent would be really tough to score attack. I’ll try to get Stairway to work later.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Damn it, I want to play Turricans stage so badly. I´ll try loading them during the next few days when I have the time and patience :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

1st attempt: SPIKES TO YOU 8) (if anyone tries it, time to beat is 27'95)

I want to try an Ex Ranza or Thunder Force 2 overhead stage 3 homage later. Maybe at the same time.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm really liking this game. I like how you can even view the levels Treasure made in the edit mode. The edit mode is quite nice too. This game is almost like a "Bangai-O destruction set". I liked Turrican's levels. That sound load can be a pain, but it's so worth it since some of the levels made are as good or better than the levels included with the game. Some of the levels made for contests are especially nice.

I made a level based on Fantasy Zone and I'll upload it as soon as I get one of those things with a jack at both ends. I plan to make a level based on Super Mario Land's level 4-3 with Longai-O as Tatanga.
Frederik wrote: EDIT: The sound load goes up to 99% and then fails. I have no idea what´s up with that :?
I get this every so often. Usually, when this happens, I up the wave balance gradually until it works. Sometimes, I have to do quite a bit of adjusting. I often get different results with the left and right phones too. I don't know what is up with that.
Rob

Post by Rob »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Is anybody else making levels for Bangai-o? You should upload them. I made one, its ok I think. It might be a little tough though, but not too bad.

http://rapidshare.com/files/141389578/EN004.MP3.html
That last fucking room... Nice level + hate u.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Ha! I know it’s so wrong. Your level is pretty cool; it looks like a Genesis game. I like the dragon thing on the wall.
Rob

Post by Rob »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:it looks like a Genesis game.
8) (uploaded a shaky digicam video for anyone who doesn't want to download random stages blindly) --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPcyW8ZMxZQ

Do you have any other stages? Tried downloading some stages at GameFAQs and they were junk. Need more pro levels from shmups forumers.

Dumb questions: how to assign items or enemies to the generators? And how do I make something invincible?
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

^Anything touching or overlapping a spawner is added to the things it can spawn.. I think it's limited by what starts there, so if you want a spawner to make squads of four you have to put four guys on it, etc.

You can't really make things invincible, as far as I can tell, but you can put things into walls - say, you put a 1x size laser onto the smallest unit of wall, it can shoot its laser but Bangai-O will be unable to damage it.

I like the stages in this topic so far. Haven't attempted to make sound files for any of mine yet, so far my best is a level layout copied from Thexder but I'd rather do something original.
Your party has been waylaid by monsters.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks a lot. Started work on stage 2, which is going to have a big Thunder Force room at the end. DS charging now, nooo.

Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I suspect that my laptop is noisy and the noise prevents any soundload to work. To this date, I wasn't able to download a single stage :(

By the way:

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallawa ... its-review

pitiful.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I made a couple more levels, one is just a variation of Fantasy Zone with different enemies coming out of the spawners and the other is an attempt at a fortress level with respawning cannons. I'll upload these levels as soon as I get that cable with the jack at both ends.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The utter lack of a difficulty curve: it's all just this side of infuriating.
:lol:
MathU

Post by MathU »

Turrican wrote:By the way:

http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallawa ... its-review

pitiful.
I actually agree with a bit of that. The lack of stage progression might be a big part of why this has failed to suck me in well.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

I like the open "sandbox" style. I think it adds to the unusual feel the game has. It doesn´t ask anything from you and even has openly accessible invincibility cheats - so it really is purely about what you want to do. There are a lot of stages I can´t be arsed to play through (that giant maze one of instance), so I´m glad the game doesn´t force me to play it. Though it lacks a bit of the typically "epic" atmosphere most Treasure games have.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think of a lot of the stages as just level maker training. "This enemy does this!" isn't much of a level.