RQ: R Type stage 3 tactics

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
mr_m0nks

RQ: R Type stage 3 tactics

Post by mr_m0nks »

i was wondering if anyone has any advice for taking on stage 3 in r type,

ive decided to concentrate on R Type at the moment and can do the first 2 stages with my eyes more or less shut but the big ship in stage 3 always seems to get me,

can anyone help me??
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Wait till you get to stage 7 . .

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that when you get to the front (right) of the battleship, you have to watch out for the big plasma balls because they will go right through your pod. First off, try to get Air Attack Laser (red). Use charge shots and the Air Attack Laser to blow through everything. When you get to the front, put your pod in back of your ship so it will shoot backwards, and shoot at the cannons, but watch out for the plasma balls they will fire at you. Eventually you should be able to work your way to the top. When you get to the top, be sure to shoot everything that comes from the left. The core of the boss is a thing like an eye. You can only damage it with charge shots. Fire a few charge shots at it and you're done. Good luck with stage 4, it's harder.
SWY: Games are just for fun
mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks »

thanks for that, i'll give those ideas a try later
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I like to use the reflect laser (blue) at the end of the stage, when you move around the nose of the warship. It can easily take out the final defenses near the core from a distance.

Remember that your Force can block those blue globs the core vomits up. You can just move down and fire your wave cannon when it's exposed, then move up and forward and let your ass-Force absorb the hits. It should just take a couple of fully-charged shots to clear the stage.
mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks »

cleared it for the first time today, its so frustrating, i know what i need to be doing but i always just seem to blunder into some random bullet ,