XMD-2 Question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KindGrind

XMD-2 Question

Post by KindGrind »

Looking to buy a XMD-2 to hook up my Genny 2 to my TV. Question is... Is 15-pin RGB a standard VGA input? Meaning... will I be able to hook up the converter to my HDTV (that has a standard VGA input) and get RGB?

Thanks a bunch for any help. I'll get better at this one day... :wink:
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
rolins

Re: XMD-2 Question

Post by rolins »

KindGrind wrote:Looking to buy a XMD-2 to hook up my Genny 2 to my TV. Question is... Is 15-pin RGB a standard VGA input? Meaning... will I be able to hook up the converter to my HDTV (that has a standard VGA input) and get RGB?

Thanks a bunch for any help. I'll get better at this one day... :wink:
The XMD-2 only converts RGB to S-video. Not the other way around. Same applies to the XAV-2S.

edit: Wait i think I'm wrong. It does have outputs for s-video and 15pin RGB I just saw photo of it. Maybe you can output to your HDTV, you'll have to make sure the pinouts are correct though.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Besides the S-Video encoding, it's just a pinout switcher from the port on the back of the Mega Drive to 15pin RGB. The signal is unaltered.

You *won't* be able to use this on a VGA input. Get a XRGB unit.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Heck, or get a decent RGB monitor, and stop sweating. There is virtually no console today that doesn't output RGB. (Not sure about the two Xboxes, though)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Not sure about the two Xboxes, though
they do.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I recall on the ye olde Shmups.com site, tech god Matt Ross, used to make and sell such fabled XBox RGB cables for anyone who was interested in them. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

They've been regularly available in Europe, so one could just browse any euopean eBay site for a Xbox1 RGB cable in the price range between 1 and 3 Euro.
azmun

Post by azmun »

I think you'll still need a converter. The Genesis / Mega Drive can natively output RGB signal but interlaced. VGA monitors and HDTVs however are progressive scan so you'll end up with some lag.