My supergun > Scart question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

My supergun > Scart question

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My supergun outputs fine to an XRGB2 via the JP21 RGB cable. The cable is a Neo Geo spec Din 8 to JP21 cable.

I bought a Neo Geo Euro SCART cable for use on a TV or compatible monitor but no picture shows at all. I also get no sound.

I took apart both the JP21 and SCART cables and the main difference from the diagrams I have seen is that the JP21 bridges the red with red ground, green with green ground and blue with blue ground respectively. The SCART cable does not.

If I bridge those connections on the SCART cable will I get a picture or will the TV go BANG! I'm assuming the Grounding on the SCART cable may have been done via the Din 8 in the neo geo system itself. Since I'm using it with a supergun its no can do.

I'm really confused by all this. I even took a PS1 SCART cable apart and like the NG SCART cable none of the grounds are bridged or even connected at all. But that works fine! :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For Euro scart connections you usually use two GND connections, Pin 17 (video GND) and another one for audio. It's not neccessary to connect the R,G,B grounds

On the NG, pin 4 (that's the one in the middle at the bottom) is GND.

If your TV has problems showing a picture check where Pins 1 and 5 (1 is at the top left, 5 is right to pin 4 are going. They're both carrying a voltage and usually your TV needs a voltage on Scart pins 8 and/or 16 to determine an incoming RGB signal.

On the original NG cable the composite Sync signal from Pin 1 is connected to the Scart Pin 8 and the 5V voltage from pin 5 is connected to Scart Pin 16. You should also be fine by wiring the 5V voltage to both 8 and 16 (use a transistor in between). The question if using pin 1 (sync) or pin 2 (fbas video) to Scart pin 20 (video sync) depends on your NG model.

If you say you're using a Supergun and no NG, that might the problem as well. The cable you have might try to get a FBAS video signal from Pin 2, but your supergun has C-Sync only (on Pin 1 I guess).

Check both things (voltage to Scart Pins 8 and 16 and the Sync vs. Video question) and you will be fine.