Questions about buying my first arcade stick for shmups!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DefaultGen

Questions about buying my first arcade stick for shmups!

Post by DefaultGen »

I'm buying my first arcade stick (HRAP2 it looks like) and I don't know too much about arcade hardware so I have some questions!

- I'm mainly looking at the HRAP2 and HRAP2 SA. The SA is around $40 more and has Sanwa buttons. Is it really worth it for shmups, or will that really just benefit hardcore fighting fans?

- I see complaints about square restrictor plates. This is probably a good thing for shmups, right? (ie: I shouldn't replace it with an octagonal one!)

- Anything I should do to/mod on my HRAP2 after I get it? I've *never* used an arcade stick for shmups (besides maybe like Raiden II or P47: The Phantom Fighter in arcades...) but playing PS2 shmups is impossible on a dual shock, and a stick isn't much more than a PS2 Saturn-style controller so I'm upgrading.
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

If you don't get the SA, Sanwa buttons should be a very simple mod. Just drop em in and connect the quick disconnects. Sanwas are worth it in my opinion. Hori buttons aren't terrible but Sanwas feel much nicer to me. This is mostly up to your personal preference. The SA and the modded original would essentially be the same price after you pay for Sanwa parts, etc.

Square restrictors are fine for shooters. Octagonals are generally used for fighters.

Other than that you should be set. There isn't a whole lot to mod on an HRAP anyway as they are built so well.
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Or you could replace such arcade stick and push buttons with Seimitsu parts -- they're the preferred choice of ace Japanese shmuppers. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
honorless

Re: Questions about buying my first arcade stick for shmups!

Post by honorless »

One of the other differences between the stock HRAP2 and the SA is that the SA opens from the top with allen wrenches/hex keys. HRAP2 uses Phillips' head screws and opens from the bottom.

Also, if you get the stock HRAP2 and want to put Sanwa buttons in it, note that you can't buy the same blue buttons that are on the SA. It's a special color for Hori only.
Anything I should do to/mod on my HRAP2 after I get it?
The stereotypical HRAP mods are all-Sanwa for fighting games, and all-Seimitsu for shooting games. They're equally good, so it'll come down to your personal preferences.

Sanwa buttons are very sensitive. I swear I've dropped more than a few accidental bombs because the weight of my finger set them off. Seimitsu buttons supposedly require a little more force.
The stock joystick is a Sanwa. It's great, but a lot of shooter players prefer shorter, stiffer sticks with smaller throws (i.e. Seimitsu LS-32-01/02). Check out SRK's tech talk section, there's a lot of Sanwa vs Seimitsu info.

Since you don't seem absolutely crazy about the SA, I'd say get the HRAP2 stock and use it for a while. Eventually, get your hands on some Sanwa or Seimitsu equipment. (Hopefully you'll find someone else with a setup so you can try before you buy.)

With the increased experience you'll be more aware of the differences between parts/manufacturers, and have a better idea of what you prefer.

Also I won't have to kick your teeth in for gutting an SA. :D
video games suck
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I like the octagonal restrictor much better than the stock square one. Honestly, I'm not sure why square restrictors are the default, anyway. I can't think of any games that I'd want notches and additional throw in the corners for.

Also, for fighting games, I actually prefer no notches/circular restrictors. Maybe I'm just weird, though.
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

I'm a big Happ fan, but maybe that's just me.. A happ stick with a stiffer spring is working out much better for me than my sanwa, I like the buttons better too.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Matsunaga wrote:I'm a big Happ fan, but maybe that's just me.. A happ stick with a stiffer spring is working out much better for me than my sanwa, I like the buttons better too.
I've got a Atari Jaguar Jamma Deluxe Joystick that was handbuilt by Dan Loosen of GoatStore.com fame -- it has all Happ parts for the joystick and three push buttons. A very solid setup, indeed. I had Matt Ross personally install a 555 timer chip to it for cool and kick-ass finger saving auto-fire functionality. Works like a charm. ^_~

Mr. Loosen of GoatStore.com once e-mailed me to say that he once heard that you could take a sledge hammer and give the Happ aracde joystick a good whack and it would still work as advertised. Sounds too good to be true?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Mr. Loosen of GoatStore.com once e-mailed me to say that he once heard that you could take a sledge hammer and give the Happ aracde joystick a good whack and it would still work as advertised. Sounds too good to be true?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I wouldn't be surprised, it's very sturdy.