RQ: Do Donpachi 2 - Bee Storm

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
emphatic

RQ: Do Donpachi 2 - Bee Storm

Post by emphatic »

I know this game is generally frowned upon since it's not a worthy sequel, but I for one would like to know a bit more about raising the combo for example.

I've seen a screenshot somewhere that has over 1 billion points. Personally, I've only reached 286 million so far...

Emph
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Where did you see this screenshot?

I have to say, I've never even seen static pictures of this game. I had a dream I played it a while back. Then I went for a walk down a dark street and some thugs killed my Dad. Then I went on a rollercoaster.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Zebra Airforce: Wow. That's an awesome run. But does it mean that close proximity to your enemies is the key to getting the combo up? I also play using the energy bomb (because scraping bullets is fun), but my score after stage three is half the score this player has (at best) and I've anyway only gotten as far as to the PANIC boss...

I really feel that using the E-bomb is a big advantage for getting the combo up. Still, my friend (who has borrowed my Bee Storm board) uses the regular bomb, yet has gotten more points than me. I need to practice more.

Emph
sven666

Post by sven666 »

what you do is get your hit counter up by using the bomb, if your in close proximity to the enemy you get more hits.

an excellent place for this is the fences in stage 3.

the stages dont give much score so just focus on getting your hitcounter up, score will come rolling in when you face the boss ;)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
zlk

Post by zlk »

If you are really close to an enemy, especially a level boss, you can get your hit count to sky rocket. There may be other techniques to get the score higher, but I have only seen some 1 billion point videos. The world record is 8 billion or so for the game. So maybe there are some other techniques as well.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

a little OT i guess but whatever, was the internet rankings ever used? can they still be viewed somewhere?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
zlk

Post by zlk »

The IR were used until someone figured out how to cheat/manipulate the scores. At one point many of the scores were maxed out.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Ta.

I love how the game starts with the TLB. How very Tarantino.
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: RQ: Do Donpachi 2 - Bee Storm

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

When you select bomb type, what affects how many bombs you start with? I usually start with 3 bombs, but the last couple times I selected combat mode, bomb type, I'm starting with 5 bombs for some reason. Doubt this has to do with having seen/reached the TLB as I've tried clearing the game's RAM. Rather confused here, not that it affects much as I can get a full bomb stock either way on stage 2...
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

That is weird... I never really pay attention to how many bombs I start with :lol:

Does anyone know what causes the grate on the right side of the 2nd large enemy in stage 1 to spew out a seemingly endless amount of bees? This seems like the only way to carry a chain though that section, as I usually loose ~150 hit waiting for the next set of enemies.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I tried switching regions (I'd had it set to World) back to the default/Japan, bombs seem to go back to three. It's almost as if reaching the TLB does mess something up and make every life start with 5, not three bombs. TLB shouldn't be that much harder though, tough part is getting there reliably without dying as you've got like half the lives to work with compared to a standard Cave game. Another oddity I noticed is that when I've got the 5 bombs thing going, all of those enemies on the ground that launch 8 way close range attacks are all the green item dropping variety, replacing all of the orange ones in the game (wtf?).

No idea what causes the bee spewing early in Stage 2; I've only activated it a few times myself. EDIT: If you laser the top left corner of the screen as it's still scrolling upwards at that miniboss, it seems to activate it reliably.

Couple other weird secrets to mention:

* Destroy the 4 bees at the start of the laughably easy stage 1 and the boss will spew out 20000 point bees per hit.
* Fail to destroy the miniboss (timeout) at the start of Stage 2 and the bee spewer hive thing before the boss won't be active.
* Stage 3 appears to give you a boatload of bombs if after the miniboss you destroy the next large blue ship that appears by killing the two small turrets on it before destroying it. Every large ship after drops a bomb item, although I only saw this happening on World setting.
* Stage 5's got that large structure near the end that becomes seemingly invulnerable and spews bees per hit if you destroy the other parts first. I've also gotten it to drop 3 bombs upon destruction, no idea how though as I've only had it happen once.
moh

Re:

Post by moh »

MX7 wrote:Where did you see this screenshot?

I have to say, I've never even seen static pictures of this game. I had a dream I played it a while back. Then I went for a walk down a dark street and some thugs killed my Dad. Then I went on a rollercoaster.
thats some sick shit.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

I just got done clearing the TLB so I want to add my 2 cents here instead of doing a full review. While it doesn't hold up to Cave games, it's the funnest thing IGS has ever made to me. In my opinion the only mode to play is Energy, not only because of the higher scoring potential but because the scratch system is the funnest thing about the game.

The later bosses require a lot of pattern memorization that comes across differently to me than in Cave games. I don't know if this makes sense, but it feels more like memorizing spots to be in / move into as opposed to in Cave game where I'm mostly practicing my on the fly dodging skills. So the later bosses really required a lot of practice.

But most importantly what I want to mention is a method I call scratchbombing. In Energy mode when bullets scratch you it builds up your bomb meter. Bombs cancel enemy bullets but... If you go at them at the right angles you can pass your hitbox through enemy bullets while you are bombing and this builds up your bomb meter while you are bombing, so really soon after you've released your bomb, you already have another one ready. This is how to clear the really thick parts in later levels and you can use the method in boss fights sometimes too by timing your bomb when you see a bunch of ideal bullets to run through. I do it a bunch in this video but if you start here you can jump to where I do it heavily at 45 degree angles:

http://youtu.be/H4PLLypxjLA?t=12m56s

Scratchbombing is probably the funnest thing about the game. One of them.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:I just got done clearing the TLB so I want to add my 2 cents here instead of doing a full review. While it doesn't hold up to Cave games, it's the funnest thing IGS has ever made to me. In my opinion the only mode to play is Energy, not only because of the higher scoring potential but because the scratch system is the funnest thing about the game.

The later bosses require a lot of pattern memorization that comes across differently to me than in Cave games. I don't know if this makes sense, but it feels more like memorizing spots to be in / move into as opposed to in Cave game where I'm mostly practicing my on the fly dodging skills. So the later bosses really required a lot of practice.

But most importantly what I want to mention is a method I call scratchbombing. In Energy mode when bullets scratch you it builds up your bomb meter. Bombs cancel enemy bullets but... If you go at them at the right angles you can pass your hitbox through enemy bullets while you are bombing and this builds up your bomb meter while you are bombing, so really soon after you've released your bomb, you already have another one ready. This is how to clear the really thick parts in later levels and you can use the method in boss fights sometimes too by timing your bomb when you see a bunch of ideal bullets to run through. I do it a bunch in this video but if you start here you can jump to where I do it heavily at 45 degree angles:

http://youtu.be/H4PLLypxjLA?t=12m56s

Scratchbombing is probably the funnest thing about the game. One of them.
Looks cool....and familiar. I think you would love Psyvariar, carefully chaining invincibility from scratches is a huge well-known mechanic in that game, it's built around it really.
I actually didn't discover scratchbomb chaining when messing with this game, since the bomb slows you down and makes it a bit awkward to graze, so I'll have to give it some more credits and check it out.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

I've played that before but didn't know it had scratchbombing so I'll try it again. The bombing forcing your ship backwards has its ups and downs in Bee Storm. Sometimes when it's pushing you back when you are point blanking a boss it's kind of a bitch because it can move you out of the area of closeness you need for the maximum counter jumps so you have to keep pressing up, then releasing and letting it push you back a bit, then press up more, repeat... You get used to it though. But usually during scratchbombing it works well because it feels like more of a struggle to get it to work correctly, more tension during the move, which, after you've pulled it off/practiced to the point where you are consistently good at it, results in a higher feeling of satisfaction.
TripleA

Post by TripleA »

On Youtube is an 3billions run. Unknown player. He show alot of Tricks and Hints. This game is not really the badest DoDonPachi in my eyes. If you see the video then you know what i mean. This game is crazy as hell with alot secrets. If you shoot the bee at the beginning wrong (I mean the warming up boss) you cann get all the bees from the wings and body. ;) He show all the tricks really crazy stuff. And he plays I.R!!! The Bombs are an tactical think in my eyes to get bees. If you bomb and there are alot of bullets on the screen the bullets will change to bees. If you bomb the bigger spaceships you get bees. But only for the bullets they have shoot. Its a different DoDonPachi yea but not that different...

Part 1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIqS9hAEmbI

Part 2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8w1hMeC3s4

Part 3
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uaINSE5148

This is maybe a real superplay of a world record in the I.R mode? This guy is crazy. He know every trick and look at the later level how he is using a bug(?) to get the energy everytime full after using it. He only dies one time at the "Secret Boss". I hope i could help a lil bit and dont tell you old things.
zlk

Post by zlk »

The replay is really good but the IR world record is around 8 billion or so.
TripleA

Post by TripleA »

Ah thank you for the Information. I found some new Superplays but not from Bee Storm. :D Really nice runs. But 8 billions sounds like milking the shit out and no mistakes maybe. Or the last boss give you a big bonus?! I dont know but maybe you are interested in that replay from the 3 billion record. And for Mame exist now every version from ddp2 ;) But the Taiwan version is strange. Not so much bonus like japanese version. Really strange but im not that good to say this is completely different. :D