Question about Strikers 1945 (PSX) and suggestion

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zyloj

Question about Strikers 1945 (PSX) and suggestion

Post by zyloj »

I'd like to know if USA version is a good port (Tate, hiscores saves,...)

I didn't find nothing about this with the search option, so I think perhaps we could make a list of shmups ports to see if PAL version has 50/60HZ selector, hi score savings, Tate options, if a game is a Japanese exclusive and more. We could see all that info without asking for it continuosly at the forum. What's your oppinion?
D

Post by D »

No PS1 titles to my knowledge have 50/60 HZ selectors. Only from DC on.
Kiken

Re: Question about Strikers 1945 (PSX) and suggestion

Post by Kiken »

zyloj wrote:I'd like to know if USA version is a good port (Tate, hiscores saves,...)

I didn't find nothing about this with the search option, so I think perhaps we could make a list of shmups ports to see if PAL version has 50/60HZ selector, hi score savings, Tate options, if a game is a Japanese exclusive and more. We could see all that info without asking for it continuosly at the forum. What's your oppinion?
The US release of Strikers 1945 Part II (they dropped the "Part II" bit) does not contain Tate, but it does have high-score save.

Now, the way they removed Tate was to simply remove the option from the main selection screen... so theoretically the mode is still in the game. I haven't compared the program sizes between the US and Japanese release. But if they're the same, that would mean that Tate is still available.. you would just have to use a Game Shark code or something to circumvent the main selection screen and get to the Tate-mode option screen.

Has anyone tried this?
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Strange why they would leave it out though :?
My Trying Not To
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's been suggested that publishers don't want lawsuits from people who break their TVs by rotating them on their sides...sounds fairly plausible to me.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

BulletMagnet wrote:It's been suggested that publishers don't want lawsuits from people who break their TVs by rotating them on their sides...sounds fairly plausible to me.
Fair enough I think lol

but a warning in the manual would be enough, besides I thought publishers cant get sued?

Kinda like using software on a PC, normally states that the company etc cant be responsible for any damage to the computer.
My Trying Not To
zyloj

Post by zyloj »

D wrote:No PS1 titles to my knowledge have 50/60 HZ selectors. Only from DC on.
My suggestion is to make a complete list of console ports of shmups, so it would include for example DC or PS2 titles, where there are some games with selector. An example:

Ikaruga
GC PAL no selector/TATE
DC JAP TATE

Gunbird 2
DC PAL Selector/TATE
kiken wrote:The US release of Strikers 1945 Part II (they dropped the "Part II" bit) does not contain Tate, but it does have high-score save.
Are you saying that Strikers 1945 (part one) had not a USA release?
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

zyloj wrote:
kiken wrote:The US release of Strikers 1945 Part II (they dropped the "Part II" bit) does not contain Tate, but it does have high-score save.
Are you saying that Strikers 1945 (part one) had not a USA release?
Right. Strikers 1945 had no US release; Strikers 1945 II got released in the US as "Strikers 1945" to "prevent confusion". Agetec is apparently using some definition of "prevent" with which I am unfamiliar.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Okay, doing a quick search I found this thread, and I'm resurrecting it because I don't feel like starting a new one just to ask some impressions.

I just bought Strikers 1945 PSX (jpn, therefore "part 1") for 15 euro, and I wanted to know the opinion of you shmuppers, about this conversion. Is it any good?

I know, I could have got the PS2 pack but I already own part 2 on Psone and I've heard bad things about that release.

And hey, the Psone cover is lovely.
X - P - B
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Turrican wrote:Okay, doing a quick search I found this thread, and I'm resurrecting it because I don't feel like starting a new one just to ask some impressions.

I just bought Strikers 1945 PSX (jpn, therefore "part 1") for 15 euro, and I wanted to know the opinion of you shmuppers, about this conversion. Is it any good?

I know, I could have got the PS2 pack but I already own part 2 on Psone and I've heard bad things about that release.

And hey, the Psone cover is lovely.
The PSOne release of Strikers 1945 is a solid port, although the Saturn version is the better of the two. It ended up being the other way round for the releases of Strikers 1945 Part II though.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Kiken wrote:The PSOne release of Strikers 1945 is a solid port, although the Saturn version is the better of the two. It ended up being the other way round for the releases of Strikers 1945 Part II though.
Thanks, solid port sounds fine to me. ^_^ Where are the flaws, loading times? Slowdowns? downgraded explosion graphics?
X - P - B
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

Despite not having Tate mode, Strikers 1945 is a great port for the PSX. I've seen no slowdown at all during gameplay, and the graphics are top notch.

Get it now. Don't wait.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

The Bullet Dodger wrote:Despite not having Tate mode, Strikers 1945 is a great port for the PSX. I've seen no slowdown at all during gameplay, and the graphics are top notch.

Get it now. Don't wait.
you must be wrong. I'm talking about SLPS-00407. That is, Strikers 1. I'm pretty confident it has tate, as shown on the back of the case:

http://www.playstation.jp/products/alls ... 00407b.jpg
X - P - B
zyloj

Post by zyloj »

Turrican wrote:
The Bullet Dodger wrote:Despite not having Tate mode, Strikers 1945 is a great port for the PSX. I've seen no slowdown at all during gameplay, and the graphics are top notch.
you must be wrong. I'm talking about SLPS-00407. That is, Strikers 1. I'm pretty confident it has tate, as shown on the back of the case:
This is one of the reasons of my proposal. This kind of questions appears in the forum from time to time, and we could have a section in the web to consult it without repeating threads in the forums.
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

Turrican wrote:

Get it now. Don't wait.

http://www.playstation.jp/products/alls ... 00407b.jpg

ummm......my bad......i guess

thought you were referring to Strikers 1945 for the (NA) PSX
Neon

Post by Neon »

Turrican wrote:
Kiken wrote:The PSOne release of Strikers 1945 is a solid port, although the Saturn version is the better of the two. It ended up being the other way round for the releases of Strikers 1945 Part II though.
Thanks, solid port sounds fine to me. ^_^ Where are the flaws, loading times? Slowdowns? downgraded explosion graphics?
I'd love to know also...
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Maybe Twitchdoctor could help, I see he has all of them in his collections, he must dig this series.
X - P - B