Different Versions of the Saturn (Japan)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TLDragoon

Different Versions of the Saturn (Japan)

Post by TLDragoon »

I've been looking around at the different versions of the Japanese Saturn, and was wonder what the differences were. For instances, are they different just in aesthetics, or are their technical differences that make one "superior" over the others?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hitachi Navi Saturn has GPS on it.

The white/grey/crystal ones are all the same by Sega.

Then you got Samsung, Hitachi and JVC models. I think JVC or Hitachi came with a MPEG1 decoder but not sure. I think only one or two games used it though.

Samsung one is rare and I've never seen one myself. The other two are quite common.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Hitachi Navi Saturn has GPS on it.

The white/grey/crystal ones are all the same by Sega.

Then you got Samsung, Hitachi and JVC models. I think JVC or Hitachi came with a MPEG1 decoder but not sure. I think only one or two games used it though.

Samsung one is rare and I've never seen one myself. The other two are quite common.
The Hitachi (Hi Saturn) and the JVC model include the MPEG decoder card (which can be purchased seperately). IIRC, 7 games are MPEG card compatible. The other function is the ability to watch VCDs (which I doubt anyone will be using now).

The crystal/skeletal Saturn has a small list of games which actually won't run on it.

The best bet is to go with the classic grey or the Christmas Nights white console.
TLDragoon

Post by TLDragoon »

Kiken wrote:The Hitachi (Hi Saturn) and the JVC model include the MPEG decoder card (which can be purchased seperately). IIRC, 7 games are MPEG card compatible. The other function is the ability to watch VCDs (which I doubt anyone will be using now).

The crystal/skeletal Saturn has a small list of games which actually won't run on it.

The best bet is to go with the classic grey or the Christmas Nights white console.
Would the white model (HST-0014) released before the Christmas Nights model (HST-0017) be the same as far as being able to play all the games?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My skeleton model doesn't play outrun.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
gennss

Post by gennss »

I have a V-Saturn, but it plays the same as far as I can tell.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

TLDragoon wrote:Would the white model (HST-0014) released before the Christmas Nights model (HST-0017) be the same as far as being able to play all the games?
Yep. I think the only difference between those two units is some slight cosmetic changes.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

don't some of the non-sega made saturns, not have RGB output? or am I thinking about the wondermega ect.