Is the monitor Dying?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
grantspain

Post by grantspain »

could be just some electrolitic capacitor failure,when caps get a bit old they start to leak capacitance and hence need time to warm up
there is a possibilty the tube is dying but normally the gun remain weak and you would see some focus problems
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Hehe, I don't think he ment the actual CRT tube versus the monitor itself. I doubt he is going to want to do a recap job on a sony CRT chassis. :lol: I'm sure the monitor will last another few years for random gameplay...its not like you are going to leave it on 24/7 (like it probably was at some point in its life).

BTW welcome grantspain, we could use your great technical chops here.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Goongrave wrote: Hmm, now that you make think about it there seem to be some image noise (like the difference you notice berween a composite video signal vs a RGB one) but I don't know if you are referring to this when you talk about "focus problems".
The high pitched buzzing is from the flyback (big black thing where the red wire of death :wink: comes out and connects to the tube). Flybacks do go bad over time, mostly just making that annoying noise, and sometimes goes away after its warmed up.