SC2 stick for cube vs cross-platform stuff

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Platypus[gEc]

SC2 stick for cube vs cross-platform stuff

Post by Platypus[gEc] »

Quick question (did a search but didn't really come up with anything).

I own a cube and a PC, and I shmup on both. I don't own a stick (yet) and i am considering buying one.

I came across a Soul Calibur 2 Hori Stick i like, and would consider buying as a cube only thing. Apart from the usual fighting game, is it any good for shmups or am i better off going for something cross-platform like an X-arcade (which i'll buy eventually, but is quite a hefty investment) instead of investing in system specific stuff like the SC2 stick...

Who has either a SC2 hori stick of an X-arcade and wants to share their opinions on them... since both don't come cheap any advise would be welcome...
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

If you read at Shoryuken in the hardware forum you'll notice quite a few people mention that the X Arcade convertors seem to have significant lag. I don't know if this is the case or if it's just morons at the helm (ALWAYS a possibility at that place) but it's something to think about.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
Platypus[gEc]

Post by Platypus[gEc] »

black mariah wrote:If you read at Shoryuken in the hardware forum you'll notice quite a few people mention that the X Arcade convertors seem to have significant lag. I don't know if this is the case or if it's just morons at the helm (ALWAYS a possibility at that place) but it's something to think about.
So X claims multiplatform but is only ok for PC... nice info. I've heard complains about X-arcade stick before but i've put those of as elitism (u know what i'm talking about: standard stick is bad, everything must be custom and self-made).

Thanks for the input (i'm checking out the other forum you mentioned atm)
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

It's at shoryuken.com, in case you aren't familiar.

I've read nothing but good things about the Hori sticks, from both shmuppers (look around here for more info. There's a few guys that have them) and from fighters.

The problems with the X Arcade stuff COULD be a case of elitism to some degree, but I don't see similar complaints about Hanaho sticks or the like.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

from first hand experience the x-arcade stick is pretty poor for the money. the adapters do infact lag, the worst that i witnessed being for the street fighters on the x-box. renders them pretty much unplayable. also the build construction seemed pretty poor, with the casing wrenching up under punishment, especially around the stick.

i've also heard horror stories of them refusing to repair the sticks even in the warranty, a huge selling point for the sticks.

as far as i know the hori you refer to is supposed to be quality, and i would imagine more than enough for shmups.

i would recommend, however, getting a ps1/ps2 stick and buying the necessary adapters from there. getting any adapter from other consoles, especially cube, seems tricky. there are hundreds of different ps2 - console, usb, etc though and there seem to be at least a good few reliable examples.

i'm using a namco (yellow and grey) stick and have used a ps2 - dc adapter with it and had no problems at all, but i can't comment on other consoles really
Ord

Post by Ord »

I have the Soul Caliber II hori stick and it works fantasically well with an adapter.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Platypus[gEc]

Post by Platypus[gEc] »

sjewkestheloon wrote:from first hand experience the x-arcade stick is pretty poor for the money. the adapters do infact lag, the worst that i witnessed being for the street fighters on the x-box. renders them pretty much unplayable. also the build construction seemed pretty poor, with the casing wrenching up under punishment, especially around the stick.

i've also heard horror stories of them refusing to repair the sticks even in the warranty, a huge selling point for the sticks.

as far as i know the hori you refer to is supposed to be quality, and i would imagine more than enough for shmups.

i would recommend, however, getting a ps1/ps2 stick and buying the necessary adapters from there. getting any adapter from other consoles, especially cube, seems tricky. there are hundreds of different ps2 - console, usb, etc though and there seem to be at least a good few reliable examples.

i'm using a namco (yellow and grey) stick and have used a ps2 - dc adapter with it and had no problems at all, but i can't comment on other consoles really
Thanks for the info and for preventing me from spending 250€ on an inferior product :-). I think i'll give the PS2 + usb-adapter idea a go for my PC shmups, and use the SC2 hori stick for the cube.
Thanks all.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Platypus[gEc] wrote:Thanks for the info and for preventing me from spending 250€ on an inferior product :-). I think i'll give the PS2 + usb-adapter idea a go for my PC shmups, and use the SC2 hori stick for the cube.
Thanks all.
Buy a PS1/PS2 joystick and get an adaptor for the GC, that way it'll save you money. no need to purchase two joysticks then.
My Trying Not To
it290

Post by it290 »

I own both an X-Arcade and a Hori RAP, and the Hori is without a doubt much better. The stick and buttons just have a nicer feel, and it's also more truly universal since you can get adapters for PS->just about anything. I never really had any problems with the X-Arcade, but then again I only used it on PC and Dreamcast (can't say I noticed any lag on the DC, though). I just got fed up with the fact that I had to turn off my PC every time I wanted to connect/disconnect it, and I didn't want to shell out $40 or whatever for the USB adapter.
Platypus[gEc]

Post by Platypus[gEc] »

I understand that "PS1 or 2 to anything else adapters" are easier to come by, but i don't own a PS, i own a Gamecube and a PC...

Since i read that these adapters are the main reason for sticks lagging i would prefer to own a stick that is certain to work on at least one platform without the possibility of lag... stupid perhaps but well... i just want to be on the safe side...

I found a GC to USB adapter, so i've got that base covered as well... (as soon as i find someone willing to order it for me, that is...)

Soul Calibur 2 Hori Stick it will be...