RQ: G-Darius...best scoring path?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Skyknight

RQ: G-Darius...best scoring path?

Post by Skyknight »

I figured out at least two requisites for "best scoring path"...

1. Alpha-A. Needed to maximize the Captain bonus (First Captain doesn't appear in B).
2. Gamma-E. There are NO captains in Beta, so even with Fire Fossil, you can't get the maximum of six captains. E, of course, lets you pick up the quadruple counter beam bonus.

Now I just have to figure out what to do for the other three areas. I found two possible paths (well, three...) on account of maximum number of grey orbs:

--alA-gaE-epI-thO-muX
--alA-gaE-zeL-kaS/T-omV' (no grey orbs in Kappa)

Any other advice on this? I'm also suspecting that one is supposed to use Alpha Beams at specific places, probably where one can potentially get at least two 30,000*4 (or 30,000*6) bonuses with the same Alpha Beam.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

The best scoring route I know of is:
  • alpha-A
  • gamma-E
  • zeta-L
  • kappa-S
  • omicron-V
The lowest route, in short. G-Darius has this thing where the higher the route you take, the easier the game is, but the lower the scoring opportunities. The above route, however is the one taken by the world record holders.

Grey orbs are moot, since you get far more points using Alpha/Counter Beam at specific times, on specific waves of enemies. Master level players store up Capture Balls to use Alpha Beams against Great Thing's regenerating turrets (boss of Omicron stage), which can give between 15- 20mil in total points points alone (six maximum Capture Balls on first life, plus the couple per stocked life).
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

This reminds me - i should write an ST about G.Darius :?

However, scores are differentiated per final stage, every possible final stage has a different optimal route. In general, you have:

Lambda - obviously, all up
Mu - Alpha, Gamma, all up (eta, iota?(the stage with death wings?), mu)
Nu - as above, but you go on Nu instead of Mu
Xi - All down, but then go on on Xi instead of Omicron
Omicron - all down

Now, the key aspect of the game is capturing the right type of enemy and then converting them into an alpha beam in key spot, getting the x4.In some specific cases, you use the captain and thus get the 6: one perfect example is Queen and Fire fossil, you need to have the captain by the time you get to the rotating fins attack, every fin is worth 30k, if you have a laser ready for that part, and it's based on the captain, you get 30x6(multiplier)x4(number of fins)=720k on this attack alone, and it will last for a few other waves of enemies...you can rack up about 1M on this section alone.

The game is pretty articulated in gameplay and the scoring system is pretty complex, there are a lot of elements to be taken in consideration. I think that, if you ask what you want to know, i can more or less start to outilne the basics :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Hanuman

Post by Hanuman »

Is there anyone planing on writing an ST for G-Darius? I would love to see one done.
Last edited by Hanuman on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Zach Keene has already wrote enough on the game :D

http://www.geocities.com/arcanelore2001 ... darius.txt
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
GGA_HAN

Re: RQ: G-Darius...best scoring path?

Post by GGA_HAN »

So...reviving this post from the dead to ask if anyone can help me out with trying to clear with a decent score with no autofire? The cabinet at the local arcade isn't equipped with auto, so all the videos on youtube aren't really helping me, unfortunately.