RQ: Donpachi videos/tips (especially stage 3)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Volteccer_Jack

RQ: Donpachi videos/tips (especially stage 3)

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

So I've got my hands on Donpachi, and I've been playing it like crazy. On a good play, I can just reach a million points for Stage 1. But Stage 3 is crazy. I have't even found all the bees yet, and I still need to use bombs to catch some of the ones I have found. The boss is manageable, except for the move where it fires a giant swarm of those direction-changing bullets all at once, which I usually end up having to bomb through, despite attempts to dodge it. I'm using the helicopter, by the way.

I've looked around for videos or guides for the game, but with little luck; although if I ever play DoDonpachi, I don't think I'll have any trouble getting videos for that.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Here are the bee locations in stage 3.

As for the boss pattern you're having trouble with, simply creep very slowly as the bullets track you. You're probably just moving a little too quickly, and running out of room in the direction you're moving, in effect. You won't be able to turn around until the attack has ended and he's shot one additional round of the same bullets. Once you dodge it correctly once, you'll probably be able to do it instinctively thereafter.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Wow, that works really well :shock: . Now I can get to level 4 without going through all my bombs. That bee guide is awesome, too.
lgb

Post by lgb »

That technique works for all similar bullet patterns, and not just Cave. It also works when trying to nail all of the white ships at the beginning of Ikaruga's stage 3, as well as dodging various "superfast" homing lasers (Override stage 4).

Huh. I need a bomb to nail certain bees in stage 2. Ah well, it doesn't matter much if you're playing the US version, but it doesn't sound like it ("now I can get to level 4 without going through all my bombs"). Are you playing the Japanese version?
Zebra Airforce

Re: RQ: Donpachi videos/tips (especially stage 3)

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:I've looked around for videos or guides for the game, but with little luck
http://www.super-play.co.uk/index.php?c ... &gameid=41
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

LGB wrote:Huh. I need a bomb to nail certain bees in stage 2.
I use one bomb in stage 2, a bit after that set of 3 bees.
LGB wrote:Ah well, it doesn't matter much if you're playing the US version, but it doesn't sound like it ("now I can get to level 4 without going through all my bombs"). Are you playing the Japanese version?
Nope, US version. Why?
Sweet, thanks.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:
LGB wrote:Ah well, it doesn't matter much if you're playing the US version, but it doesn't sound like it ("now I can get to level 4 without going through all my bombs"). Are you playing the Japanese version?
Nope, US version. Why?
Japan version doesn't replenish bombs between levels.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

If you're playing the US version you may not want to conserve bombs. I don't remember the specifics, but bombing causes the maximum # of bombs to increase. If you blow through all your bombs every level you can enter level 4 with full or almost full bombs, which makes it somewhat easier.
弾もまたいで通る