rq: gradius v, stage 4 organic wall

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
sharc

rq: gradius v, stage 4 organic wall

Post by sharc »

ok. i'm enjoying this game a lot, and have made steady progress since when i bought it at release and didn't realize you could control your options. :? however, there's one thing that stands in the way of my getting any decent scores: that goddamned wall at the end of level four that grows back as you shoot it. i've tried keeping options behind me to beat it back, tried clearing it out fast or slow, and used all sorts of option patterns (type one user here) but every time it just pops back and murders me until i scroll out of it.

usually when this kind of thing happens, it's because i'm making the game harder than it has to be and missing some obvious solution. i can't figure out what exactly i'm supposed to do to manage this freaking wall though, and until i do all one credit runs will be ending here. good people of the shmups forum, can you help me out?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I find the best way is, in the first section, to just head for the open spots...once the wall become completely "solid," I rush to the very far right side of the screen and just keep shooting...it doesn't give you much space, but it does keep you alive. If possible, I try to position my options behind me to pick off any of the little crawly buggers that try to get you from behind.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

The easiest way to make the wall is to shoot your way until you are on the very right of the screen and keep shooting. The problems are the enemys coming from behind. When the wall is in front of me i wait until the first hole appears. Then i shoot my way until im in it. Next thing is to keep a point in your mind where u can stay and dont die when enemys come. My point is a bit higher as the middle line of the first hole of the cell wall. Quite hard to say but i never die and its really easy once u got hang of it. Well its much easier with type 4. You mustnt be worried of any enemy, just rotate the multiples, keep shooting and relax.
orange

Post by orange »

requesting as much information and videos/pictures as possible for this part because i can 1-life up to it then i get decimated
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JupfqrztFXc

Stop shooting once you reach the solid wall and wait until it is fully healed. Fire and move right until you reach the edge of the screen. Hold fire until you pop out the other side. Your positioning is important because the enemies moving through the wall can sometimes still collide with your ship.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

i still wonder why so many people have problems with this wall.
E.g. the green shit in stage 6 is far more annoying, plus you cant really guess any hitbox of these clouds.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

I agree. That is one of the most annoying design decisions in the entire game.
orange

Post by orange »

hell yeah stuck to the right and ended up making it to the 1-5 boss!

thanks guys!
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Something else I've learned over time is that depending on how fast and how much of the cell wall you destroy, it has a chance to spawn ontop of your ship with surprise. I dunno, it could be poor positioning too, but I don't hug the very right end of the screen, I hang maybe half a ships length away from the right wall, and keep my options busy.

If you destroy little bits of the wall as you're advancing through it, the wall won't regen right over you, because, say, if you shot the wall all the way to the right side of the screen, and wanted to hang back at all, the wall would gulp you up.

Getting to know the wall takes some time, I will say... >_<
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro