Easy way to rotate LCD for playing Shumps?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
topsk8r4ever

Easy way to rotate LCD for playing Shumps?

Post by topsk8r4ever »

Iv been looking everywhere for a wall mount or something that can spin 90 degrees so I can play my shumps on my 46in :). Do you guys know of any that exist or another solution?
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

Hmm..
Maybe try here ?
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

i was wondering the same thing and came across this

http://www.avmountsonline.com/proddetai ... od=BT-7515

looks like it will work well, but only goes up to 32".
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Just set it on its side, do you really need to mount it? LCDs aren't super heavy or hard to rotate anyway. You might be screwed for a rotateable wall mount anyway just because that screen is pretty big.

Also protip: If you are trying to play a low/standard res shooter on an LCD TV it's probably going to lag like hell. Assuming you aren't trying to play one of the ones on the 360, those are all HD-capable of course.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

If you want a super cheap solution, you can probably build a stand out of a coat hanger that will prevent it from sliding. You will have to weight the back of it though or remove the base if you can.

My monitor doesn't rotate, but the base has a nearly square 4-bolt pattern, so I can unscrew it, and bolt it back in a rotated position. It's not quite 90 degrees so I just slip a wad of paper under it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

First you should check out the viewing angle and colors for distortion. Just lay it sideways somewhere and look at some shmuppy (lo-res) images.

See, I have a SyncMaster 204B which pivots. The viewing angle is such that brightness changes from one side of the screen to another when it's been tater'd. Mildly annoying.

It's a 21" 4:3 screen and I think letterboxed verts in MAME are just fine; that 26" is going to be even better.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Ed Oscuro wrote:First you should check out the viewing angle and colors for distortion. Just lay it sideways somewhere and look at some shmuppy (lo-res) images.

See, I have a SyncMaster 204B which pivots. The viewing angle is such that brightness changes from one side of the screen to another when it's been tater'd. Mildly annoying.

It's a 21" 4:3 screen and I think letterboxed verts in MAME are just fine; that 26" is going to be even better.
It's probably a TN panel if it does that, those really suck for TATEing because of the way viewing angles work.

Unfortunately, the panels that don't have that problem also have lag! General rule is that LCDs in general just aren't good for TATE yet.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

TN?

Also, what do you think of the idea that LED backlit screens will have less lighting (and other polarizing-related) issues?
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

There are basically 3 kinds of LCD panels, TN, PVA, and IPS. For a breakdown of differences you can check here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222

But the important things in this case is that TN panels have little to no lag, but have poor vertical viewing angles (which translates into looking discolored when used in TATE). PVA and IPS panels don't have this problem with viewing angles but tend to have a little bit of lag. So neither type of panel is really ideal.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ah, I woulda recognized "twisted nematic" but (wouldn't have understood it too well -) that is a great link all the same. Cheers!

I suppose even LED-backlit screens will need a backlight diffuser, so viewing angle problems still apply (perhaps not so severely, however). Drat!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

are there any kind of swivel mounts for HD sets. after awhile I plan on updating to a LCD or plasma SONY set. I want to be able to swivel it some how. I know there are wall mounts but never have seen a swivel one.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I just bought an LCD monitor. Its the HP L1940. It comes with a VESA stand that adjusts tilt (back/forth) and height. It has the 4 screws on the back so you can adjust the screen to TATE anti clockwise by undoing the screws, placing it 90 degrees off and putting it back on. Well thats what I am doing anyway. I took my XRGB2 to work and DOJ looked fine on it, but i'm mostly using it for MAME with my laptop.

As for wall mounts, thats a bit excessive for shmups in my opinion.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.