funland in T.O. closing down soon

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jonny5

funland in T.O. closing down soon

Post by jonny5 »

has anybody looked into buying any of the cabs??

obviously most are woodies other than a couple like the 3rd strike and tekken 5 cabs....but there are a few of note.....

iirc there is a candy sitdown halfway to the back with a soul calibur game in it
and depending on price some of the cabs might be worth it just for the hardware inside em....

take the guilty gear xx machine for example....the screen and controls are utter shit....but its got a naomi GD-rom system in it, so could be worth it

im mainly posting this for others in the area cuz im pretty sure my g/f would kill me if i brought another cab home right now.....or i would have to get rid of the XM29(which would prolly make malik11 smile)but i like it for movies too.....

but she likes soul calibur.....one of the few games she plays...so that might make it easier.....

still dont know where i would put it

but ya.....i think im gonna go down and offer some really low figures and see how it goes....worth a shot anyways

will keep everybody posted
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It wouldn't hurt to throw some offers and see what happens. The owners may bite at your offer and you could end up walking away with a killer deal. ^_~

Yes, you could walk away with a Sega Naomi arcade hardware setup for cheap if the asking price is right. It's always a good thing if your g/f is into Soul Calibur...cater to her fighting tastes and she just might enjoy playing it on the real arcade cab deal. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

Where is this Funland you speak of?
Fight war not wars
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

thegreathopper wrote:Where is this Funland you speak of?
Downtown in Toronto, Ontario.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

im gonna try for the strikers plus cab too....scrap the cab or sell it on craiglist and just keep the mobo(if its better shape than mine) and the cart....the screen/controls on it are absolute garbage....and i have no place for a big red neo woodie cab....nor would i want one.....woodie cabs are ugly IMO

im gonna go down tomorrow after work...

will post results
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

lemme know how this goes and if there's anything good left...I'm not far from there and I'd slay for a Naomi to play my Cosmic Smash....
skinny goon

Post by skinny goon »

When's it actually closing?
I'm in Toronto for a week and I was going to try to get down there for nostalgia's sake.

I don't think I'd want any of those disgusting cabs in my house...from what I recall(I was there last year), every single cab in there was pretty gross and would need sanding to scrape the layers of smoke residue and grime off. OK, that's an overstatement...but they were pretty damn gross, and were in various states of disrepair.
skinny goon

Post by skinny goon »

The Toronto Star has a great multipage feauture on Funland in the Entertainment section today. A pretty good read.

Also, they note that the cabs will be "Auctioned off at a later date".

Edit:
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment

Have a read.
PC Engine Fan X!

skinny goon wrote:The Toronto Star has a great multipage feauture on Funland in the Entertainment section today. A pretty good read.

Also, they note that the cabs will be "Auctioned off at a later date".

Edit:
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment

Have a read.
That was, indeed, a good read. ^_~

Tis a shame that after 46 years in business, it's all final coming to an end. Yep, the Golden Age of arcades was back in the early 1980s...I was there and lived it. ^_~

Here's the actual link:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/453843

And here's Canada's Top 5 all-time arcade games to earn the most money:

http://www.thestar.com/Article/453769

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
skinny goon

Post by skinny goon »

Well, I went down there today to drop in a few final quarters before it closes for good.

Man, it was pretty dead. Surprising, even after the Star article. I figured a whole bunch of people would have read the article and mobbed the place for one final go.

Not the case at all. It has never been more apparent to me how dead the arcade scene in North America is.

And I stand by what I said about how disgusting some of the machines are: you could probably get AIDS from coming into contact with most of the older ones.

At least I got to play Raiden one last time. Maybe the last time I get to do that in an actual "arcade"...who knows.

Anyone else going to make one last pilgrimage?
PC Engine Fan X!

skinny goon wrote:Well, I went down there today to drop in a few final quarters before it closes for good.

Man, it was pretty dead. Surprising, even after the Star article. I figured a whole bunch of people would have read the article and mobbed the place for one final go.

Not the case at all. It has never been more apparent to me how dead the arcade scene in North America is.

And I stand by what I said about how disgusting some of the machines are: you could probably get AIDS from coming into contact with most of the older ones.

At least I got to play Raiden one last time. Maybe the last time I get to do that in an actual "arcade"...who knows.

Anyone else going to make one last pilgrimage?
The arcade scene is still alive in the USA...you just gotta know where the arcades are. They aren't anything like how it was back in the early 1980's. It seemed like every week, something new and exciting would come out. Sure beat playing those underpowered gaming consoles at home any ol' day. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i will probably go down some point this week for a few more games.....

its just hard to go down to the arcade when i have basically an arcade in my living room.....lolz
dark penguin

Post by dark penguin »

jonny5 wrote:i will probably go down some point this week for a few more games.....

its just hard to go down to the arcade when i have basically an arcade in my living room.....lolz
Yea. I prefer playing PCBs at home, personally. That way no one can see how much I suck at some of them :D
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

not too worried about people seeing me play...but i have a minty new astro city.....the cabs in arcades here arent even in the same league....

that and im way too lazy to play a shmup standing.....lolz